Will I be able to surf the net for FREE at Starbucks?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I know we will soon get access to the iTunes music store on our iDevices but can I sit there and surf the net at Starbucks without any additional logging in?

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I know we will soon get access to the iTunes music store on our iDevices but can I sit there and surf the net at Starbucks without any additional logging in?
I don't think so, isn't their wifi agreement with tmobile. Who knows I guess since they have that iTunes store thing situated with Starbucks. I guess that'd be wifi through tmobile? Wonder who will be providing the net access...

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Of course NOT. Remember Apple is just here to rip you off! They just want you to buy their products so the only think you'll be able to do is buy music and videos from iTunes.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
In a word - no. The Starbucks agreement only allows you to access the current song playing at Starbucks (their XM channel) and the previous ten through iTunes. It has nothing to do with internet access. You'll still have to have a connection.

Jul 18, 2007
I work for Starbucks. Any time on the acutal wi-fi internet (not an iTunes port) is controlled by TMobile. So yes you could sit in starbucks and be online for free....but not using wi-fi.

ps. getting mad and saying Apple is there to rip you off is just plain retarded. they are a businesss, not a phlianthropic org. They are here to make money and why is it bad that they want control over their products? They are theirs after all....

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
I work for Starbucks. Any time on the acutal wi-fi internet (not an iTunes port) is controlled by TMobile. So yes you could sit in starbucks and be online for free....but not using wi-fi.

ps. getting mad and saying Apple is there to rip you off is just plain retarded. they are a businesss, not a phlianthropic org. They are here to make money and why is it bad that they want control over their products? They are theirs after all....
Thank you for that! I am as mad as the next guy but I still understand that Apple is in businesss to make money. Alot of people have forgotten that in the last 48 hours. Also, Apple is very protective of its intellectual property as well as physical. Stands to reason.....

FW

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah it's sort of like Google. People for some reason think they're some sort of charitable organization that puts the customer before money. Some may argue the customer does come first sometimes. Why? To make more money!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Yeah it's sort of like Google. People for some reason think they're some sort of charitable organization that puts the customer before money. Some may argue the customer does come first sometimes. Why? To make more money!
Google makes their money by being charitable. The more services they give to the general public, the more people use their services and see their advertising, which is where they make their money.

That's completely different from the way that Apple operates.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Then that's hardly charitable isn't it?
They encourage us to use their tools by giving us great tools. In the end, they give us great tools. Their method to making money is to give us great tools and charging advertisers, rather than sleezeball tactics like charging their biggest fans an extra 50% of actual money to beta test a new product.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

Wow a Hat Trick of thanks in one post.

Impressive, and thanks for the heads up!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
They encourage us to use their tools by giving us great tools. In the end, they give us great tools. Their method to making money is to give us great tools and charging advertisers, rather than sleezeball tactics like charging their biggest fans an extra 50% of actual money to beta test a new product.
You should really check your facts before making such a sharp point! :O

If you take your argument and turn it back around on google you'd find that it also applies, yikes!

Case in point:

Gmail is still in beta, yet they are still making money off it's users through the contextual advertisements throughout. Let me add that they are making A LOT of money. I work with them indirectly as an affiliate, and the money we make is atronomical so I know what they are making is tenfold what us little fish get.

Sorry, you have a great point, but it's so good that it works no matter who you aim it at :p

Jul 18, 2007
Originally Posted by ThaProducer
^
|
|
|
Read

Last edited by a moderator: