Will I be eligible for early upgrade?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tuckerbball

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
I have a two year plan with a crappy phone that sucks. I'm getting the iPhone for my birthday, no matter the cost. My contract will be over in December and i will be eligible for an upgrade then.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they are going to let people upgrade on the 29 and go two yrs and a little bit longer.

I'm impatient and i can't wait till december.Ii am saying this because i have read on this website in the forums that you will be able to do this.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

tompayne

Bronze
Apr 12, 2007
sorry, i replied to your other post also, but to answer your question. you can upgrade 21 months before your "upgrade date". they are more then happy to keep you, but will make you pay if you try an leave before the end of your contract.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
We still don't quite know the details yet. Normally, you don't qualify for an equipment upgrade until 21 months into your contract, but in this case, there is no phone subsidy, so they may just want you to activate a data plan for 24 months. Until we see it on the At&t website or hear it from an At&t rep, we won't really know whether we'll be able to buy one for the same price as new customers or have to pay a little more if we're not up for renewal yet. Luckily for me, I have one line that is up for renewal, but I know that many Cingular/At&t customers are in the middle of their contracts just like you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
Upgrade policies drastically changed today. Check your eligibility when you have the time. If you're a big spender, you may be already eligible under the new rules.

Although if you don't have a high rate plan or any kind of MEdia or data plan, then you're still due in December.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Upgrade policies drastically changed today. Check your eligibility when you have the time. If you're a big spender, you may be already eligible under the new rules.

Although if you don't have a high rate plan or any kind of MEdia or data plan, then you're still due in December.
Where are these new upgrade policies posted?

ATTingular

Bronze
May 27, 2007
They're not posted, as they're decided by a number of factors including:

voice plan
data features
amount of off network roaming
time since last upgrade

Thing's that aren't included are:
accessories (bluetooth)
phones purchased without contract
ring tones or games purchased from the online store

All the relevant data is put into a secret formula, and what that formula spits out is what kind of upgrade you're eligible for. You may not get any discount on a upgrade, you may get the equivalent of the new 2 year price, you may get waived activation and up to $100 additional instant rebate off your phone. Check with customer service to find out what's available for you, or you can give me an idea of what plan you're on, what data packages you have, and when you last upgraded and I could give you a rough idea.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
They're not posted, as they're decided by a number of factors including:

voice plan
data features
amount of off network roaming
time since last upgrade

Thing's that aren't included are:
accessories (bluetooth)
phones purchased without contract
ring tones or games purchased from the online store

All the relevant data is put into a secret formula, and what that formula spits out is what kind of upgrade you're eligible for. You may not get any discount on a upgrade, you may get the equivalent of the new 2 year price, you may get waived activation and up to $100 additional instant rebate off your phone. Check with customer service to find out what's available for you, or you can give me an idea of what plan you're on, what data packages you have, and when you last upgraded and I could give you a rough idea.
But how will this impact the $500 and $600 prices to buy an iPhone? Are you saying one will cost more if you don't qualify for an upgrade?

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
But how will this impact the $500 and $600 prices to buy an iPhone? Are you saying one will cost more if you don't qualify for an upgrade?
there was a post in another thread from someone who talked to an Apple rep. Supposedly, the prices will be fixed at $499 for the 4GB and $599 for the 8GB. It doesn't matter if your eligiable for an upgrade or not, or weather your a new customer or existing customer. because if the nature of the entire situation with Apple and AT&T joining forces, and since Apple can't honor an "upgrade discount" or anything like that. Since Apple is legally binded to sell a phone to anyone that wants to pay for one, They can't do anything about the prices. So what I have come to understand is that no matter what.... your gonna pay $499 or $599.

This is good news for me, because I broke my g/f's phone last month and had to use my upgrade to get her a new phone, so i was afraid i was going to be paying like $699 for a 8GB iPhone, since cingualr always makes you pay the face value of a phone when you buy one without being eligible for an upgrade.

It makes sense if you think of it economically.... But thats coming from an economics major....

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
there was a post in another thread from someone who talked to an Apple rep. Supposedly, the prices will be fixed at $499 for the 4GB and $599 for the 8GB. It doesn't matter if your eligiable for an upgrade or not, or weather your a new customer or existing customer. because if the nature of the entire situation with Apple and AT&T joining forces, and since Apple can't honor an "upgrade discount" or anything like that. Since Apple is legally binded to sell a phone to anyone that wants to pay for one, They can't do anything about the prices. So what I have come to understand is that no matter what.... your gonna pay $499 or $599.

This is good news for me, because I broke my g/f's phone last month and had to use my upgrade to get her a new phone, so i was afraid i was going to be paying like $699 for a 8GB iPhone, since cingualr always makes you pay the face value of a phone when you buy one without being eligible for an upgrade.

It makes sense if you think of it economically.... But thats coming from an economics major....
While I would like to think that you're correct on the simple clear cut $499/$599 price, until I see the same thing on At&t's website, I'll still be wondering about Attingular's new upgrade policy.