Will i lose all of my data if i sync to a new computer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bshotty

Jul 16, 2007
I want to sync my iPhone to my pc because i have way more music and videos on it, i don't care if i lose the music that is already on the phone i just don't want to lose the contacts. any help would be great thanks

Jul 2, 2007
I want to sync my iPhone to my pc because i have way more music and videos on it, i don't care if i lose the music that is already on the phone i just don't want to lose the contacts. any help would be great thanks
I don't think you can loose your contacts from syncing your phone. However, you will loose music, photos, etc., if you sync to a different computer.

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
You can either uncheck the sync for the items that you don't want to sync on the new computer OR it will give you the option to merge your info with what you have on the new computer. Either way you won't lose anything.

I have a similar situation--does that mean that if I have nothing (no contacts) in Outlook Express the contacts that I entered manually on my iPhone will not be deleted when I check the box to sync my contacts. I do want to place them in Outlook as a backup however, fear loosing them in the process. Thanks

I have a similar situation--does that mean that if I have nothing (no contacts) in Outlook Express the contacts that I entered manually on my iPhone will not be deleted when I check the box to sync my contacts. I do want to place them in Outlook as a backup however, fear loosing them in the process. Thanks
Yes, iTunes will offer you the chance to merge.

I started out my iPhone on a Windows XP laptop. After a week I wanted to start using my MacBook Pro with my iPhone. When I pushed the sync button, it gave me the choice to erase all or merge. I selected merge and all my calendar and contacts as well as SMS stayed on the phone. Only music and photos won't work this way. If you don't want to lose those, then don't have them sync.