Will I lose my unlimited plan if I upgrade to iPhone 4S?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not sure where, but I thought I saw a reference to people who lost their grandfathered unlimited data plan when upgrading to the iPhone 4S. I know that if add tethering, you lost your plan. This is the first I've heard of upgrading causing a change in plan.

Anyone have unlimited data? Have you seen anything to indicate you will lose your unlimited plan post-iphone 4S upgrade?

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
i upgraded to iPhone 4s on att.com this morning what happens is that they remove your unlimited plan put give you a iPhone 4s unlimited data plan so insense you don't lose anything.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Sounds like AT&T intentionally made things difficult, hoping users might opt for a different plan.

In the end, it looks like my unlimited will be safe when I make the jump.:)

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
When I pre-ordered through Apple, I had to choose a data plan and Unlimited was one of the choices. Of course, I selected it so looks like we get to keep it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I think they have different data settings in their system for fauxG/HSPA+ devices (whether it's to keep track of them differently or because they need to enable a different config on their towers to enable higher HSPA or what, I don't know).

I noticed when I swapped a sim card from my Pre 2 into an Atrix, it sent me something about switching to a compatible plan. But the price was the same and so was the data, all that's different is that now it says "Data Plus 200mb for 4G smartphones". My guess is that they just did the same for the iPhone 4S, but in a really poorly presented way that makes people think they're being forced to drop the unlimited data.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
When I pre-ordered through Apple, I had to choose a data plan and Unlimited was one of the choices. Of course, I selected it so looks like we get to keep it.
same with me..............i had unlimited and i selected it when i ordered from Apple

Caliphone

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Bakersfield
Sounds like AT&T intentionally made things difficult, hoping users might opt for a different plan.

In the end, it looks like my unlimited will be safe when I make the jump.:)
I paused for quite some time before clicking "order" because of the way it was done!
The screen (upgrader app) said "unlimited data will be removed from your plan", with no indication of the fact that the next screen would offer the "unlimited 4s data" plan along with the new 2g and 200mb plans.
I don't use over 1gb a month, but was still not happy to click that button!

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
They had my unlimited plan set as my default choice with a 20% service discount so now it's $24 for my unlimited data.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
i upgraded my wifes line to use the 4s on mine.......wnoder if the speeds will be fast or if i will need to call them to get it 4s unlimited
Unlimited refers to the amount of data you can use. The actuals speeds depend on your location, but they will be the same regardless if your plan is unlimited or limited. You have to be grandfathered in to select/keep unlimited.