Will I lose my unlimited plan if I upgrade to iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by chris, Oct 7, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not sure where, but I thought I saw a reference to people who lost their grandfathered unlimited data plan when upgrading to the iPhone 4S. I know that if add tethering, you lost your plan. This is the first I've heard of upgrading causing a change in plan.

Anyone have unlimited data? Have you seen anything to indicate you will lose your unlimited plan post-iphone 4S upgrade?

2. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

i upgraded to iPhone 4s on att.com this morning what happens is that they remove your unlimited plan put give you a iPhone 4s unlimited data plan so insense you don't lose anything.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Sounds like AT&T intentionally made things difficult, hoping users might opt for a different plan.

In the end, it looks like my unlimited will be safe when I make the jump.:)

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

When I pre-ordered through Apple, I had to choose a data plan and Unlimited was one of the choices. Of course, I selected it so looks like we get to keep it.

5. Donnybrooke

Donnybrooke Member
    Bronze

I think my last unlimited plan was "unlimited data for iPhone 3GS". Now it says " unlimited plan for iPhone4S"

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Unlimited data FTW!

Attached Files:

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I think they have different data settings in their system for fauxG/HSPA+ devices (whether it's to keep track of them differently or because they need to enable a different config on their towers to enable higher HSPA or what, I don't know).

I noticed when I swapped a sim card from my Pre 2 into an Atrix, it sent me something about switching to a compatible plan. But the price was the same and so was the data, all that's different is that now it says "Data Plus 200mb for 4G smartphones". My guess is that they just did the same for the iPhone 4S, but in a really poorly presented way that makes people think they're being forced to drop the unlimited data.

8. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

same with me..............i had unlimited and i selected it when i ordered from Apple

9. Caliphone

Caliphone Member
    Bronze

I paused for quite some time before clicking "order" because of the way it was done!
    The screen (upgrader app) said "unlimited data will be removed from your plan", with no indication of the fact that the next screen would offer the "unlimited 4s data" plan along with the new 2g and 200mb plans.
    I don't use over 1gb a month, but was still not happy to click that button!

10. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

Hopefully by the time I get mine in December some of the confusion and verbiage will have been cleared up. (n)

11. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

They had my unlimited plan set as my default choice with a 20% service discount so now it's $24 for my unlimited data.

12. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

From what I understand you will not lose your unlimited as long as you make no changes to your plan. I've read that in several places.

13. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

exactly...............i didn't lose mine on both iPhones i upgraded to the 4S

14. Dj101

Dj101 Member
    Bronze

i upgraded my wifes line to use the 4s on mine.......wnoder if the speeds will be fast or if i will need to call them to get it 4s unlimited

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Unlimited refers to the amount of data you can use. The actuals speeds depend on your location, but they will be the same regardless if your plan is unlimited or limited. You have to be grandfathered in to select/keep unlimited.

16. Chris5956

Chris5956 Member
    Bronze

Only $30 for unlimited?!
    Rogers Canada has a 500 mb plan for $25

17. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Sorry to see that. That's why I'm not gonna complain about the price. Other countries have it a lot worse.

18. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I'm on Rogers, and I have a 6GB plan for $30. There's no such thing as "unlimited" with Rogers, though.