Will iPad HD have 4G LTE and do I care?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BourneIdentity, Mar 7, 2012.

1. BourneIdentity

BourneIdentity New Member

Will the iPad Hd have built-in 4G LTE for Verizon? Is it worth getting this over just wifi. How much will the plans cost? I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon. Can I use that to surf the web on my iPad HD?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Most believe that the iPad HD or iPad 3 (whatever they end up calling it) will have support for 4G LTE. Now, it all depends upon how you use your iPad HD. If you have an iPhone, do you need your iPad to connect to the Internet when you are on-the-go? Expect to pay $129 or so more for the iPad HD with 4g LTE, if it does indeed happen today. It's still based on rumor, so it's not a sure thing.

It's also worth noting that you might not have 4G access in your area. In that case, you'll be connecting at 3G speeds. I haven't looked at pricing on plans, but we'll definitely have more info later today.

Thanks for joining eiC.(y)

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Oh and you cannot tether your iPhone to your iPad. Unfortunately.

4. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

We're with AT&T and pay the $45 tethering plan for 4gb on the iPhone 4S and with that plan we can tether our iPad to the iPhone. And the good thing is that my wife was paying $29 for her phone and $29 for her tablet so we actually saved money combining and now I can also surf along with my Asus Transformer Prime. So it works out great for us.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

True, forgot about the tethering plan. Probably because I'm on the "not really unlimited, unlimited plan" on AT&T. :mad:

6. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

We have 2 iPads, and my Transformer for the 3 of us so when we travel, hopefully together, we just piggy back off her tethering plan and it saves us some monthly fees, plus the initals $130 each forthe 3G adds that these devices charge. This works most of the time. If I'm going to be gone for a week without here I can always call AT&T and pay $45 for a 1 month tethering fee if I think it is worth that to me!

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Just confirmed there will be 4G. Not surprised.