Will iPhone be sync with MS Outlook?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
If you watch the keynote carefuly he did say "the iPhone will sync with your calendar and contacts on MAC AND Windows". Windows doesn't really have any other calendar programs that are worth mentioning other than outlook.

Email can be synced too, but only via IMAP (possibly iTunes too). IMAP will sync all your folders etc, but is not push in anyway. Although Yahoo! managed to make it push somehow (probably sends a text message when you have new email, forcing the phone to go pick it up. Much like the blackberries, OTA ActiveSync works behind the curtains).
A reasonable inference. Yahoo's service, like many, is not true push, but a timed server sniff, called "pull" for lack of a better term. I was under the impression that BB represented a true server-sided push service.

-K

aloshka

May 17, 2007
I believe Yahoo! has some special push imap for iPhone. If it was a timed poll like pop3 Steve Jobs wouldn't give it such high mention, and call it "PUSH IMAP" more than once and distinguishing it from the "IMAP" exchange which doesn't push.

Sending an SMS when an email arrives is really PUSH email. A device like the blackberry never polls anything. Instead when an email comes in, a server sends a specially encoded SMS to the device. When the device receives it, it goes out and grabs the message that's pending on the server.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Sending an SMS when an email arrives is really PUSH email. A device like the blackberry never polls anything. Instead when an email comes in, a server sends a specially encoded SMS to the device. When the device receives it, it goes out and grabs the message that's pending on the server.
Isn't push e-mail where the mail server send the message to the mobile device upon receipt? In BB's case, if the BB Enterprise Server sends an SMS message (which is news to me, but OK) rather than the e-mail message itself, that then triggers a mail pull by the device, is that really push mail? I suppose all this is just semantics.

I did go back and read about Yahoo's "IMAP-Push" for iPhone. Potentially good stuff!

-K

aloshka

May 17, 2007
Isn't push e-mail where the mail server send the message to the mobile device upon receipt? In BB's case, if the BB Enterprise Server sends an SMS message (which is news to me, but OK) rather than the e-mail message itself, that then triggers a mail pull by the device, is that really push mail? I suppose all this is just semantics.

I did go back and read about Yahoo's "IMAP-Push" for iPhone. Potentially good stuff!

-K
I think it's all background work, and last I checked on how that work was a long time ago. I know WinMo works like that for sure. Next time you... send yourself a message and watch the active sync / ports that are open and responding. Quite interesting how the "push" technology works.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I do think it is semantics. If an email hits the server and the iPhone is immediately notified, that's it. It just has to send the headers.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
How do you figure? Please post refs; it'd be very helpful. Thx.

-K
I was just going out on a limb their. But like wot said, you can sync your contacts and calendar from Outlook to iTunes right now, so I think that it should be able your email settings as well.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
If you watch the keynote, which everyone should BTW, Jobs does state that that Outlook will be synced to the iPhone on both Mac and PC. iTunes currently syncs Outlook contacts, calendars, tasks, etc to iPod so I don't see why it wouldn't sync it to iPhone.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Don't be too bummed; wot_fat pointed out that Outlook data can sync via iTunes. If it's critical for you, I suggest waiting to see what experiences are reported after release. There's still hope!

-K

idjmeka

Jun 1, 2007
There most likely will be sync functions with ms tools because Apple knows they'll make the big bang for there buck if they make it compatible and truly revolutionary, if you know what I mean? The iPhone isn't set to some specific age group its set to teens whom like their iPod and cell phone, businesss men/women, music obsessive people(me), & phone obsessive people (me).

There will be hope, if not built into it I'm sure someone here will make a widget or program to make it possible.

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Can someone explain how IMAP syncs with a smartphone in general? Let's say I have more than one email account and they all have IMAP... And let's say I use the Mail program on my Mac and want to sync phone, email servers, and Mail? Do I just have to be sure I'm using IMAP servers for all email accounts and then I should be fine? I haven't done this before.

Thanks!

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
forgive me if im wrong but didn't mr. jobs himself say it would sync with ms outlook?
Yes, that is documented on Apple's website. However, it requires iTunes and a cable. So to sync you have to physically connect the iPhone.

The holy grail would be to have Outlook data pushed to the iPhone wirelessly in a secure fashion. You could be out of the office and respond to schedule changes.

schulzmc

Jun 4, 2007
The holy grail would be to have Outlook data pushed to the iPhone wirelessly in a secure fashion. You could be out of the office and respond to schedule changes.
Which is exactly what my Treo does. I'd hate to end up having to choose between:

iPhone - leave my iPod home, awesome interface, great screen, excellent talk and standby time, rock solid OS

Treo - carry it and my iPod, old interface, good but small screen, OK talk and standby time, buggy OS, BUT CONSTANTLY IN SYNC WITH MY EXCHANGE CALENDAR

That last one might be the only reason I stay with my Treo...

schulzmc

Jun 4, 2007
why do yall think it wont sync with outlook, jobs said it himself that it would

and if you don't believe that, read for yourself on the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/getready.html
Sure it will sync with Outlook - if you plug it in to your computer and your computer is or has recently been connected to your company Exchange server.

What we are talking about is the fact that I never have to sync my Treo - it wirelessly and automatically syncs with my company Exchange server, so my Treo always has the latest calendar, email, and contact information. If, for example, my secretary adds an appointment to my calendar, within 30 minutes that appointment is on my Treo without me doing anything. The way the iPhone would sync with Outlook I won't have that appointment on my calendar until the next morning when I get in the office, plug in my computer, and plug in the iPhone and sync it.