Will iPhone Cases be Obsolete?

Nikki205

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
When (If) the new iPhone is released with 3G will it necessitate a larger battery? If so, then those users looking to upgrade will also have to change their current cases. With each day, more and more cases are hitting the market with prices that are reasonable and outrageous (Vaja Silver $280 + shipping). If the consensus is that a new iPhone will indeed be deeper to accommodate the larger battery, then those contemplating spending a large sum of money for a new case should be forewarned.

CarbonFly

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Columbia, SC
If the macbook air is any indication of the direction that Apple is going, then it would be safe to say that they will only decrease the size of the phone if anything in the future. Apple is probably looking for ways to have more efficient use of the battery, etc so that a larger phone would not be needed.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
My guess would be that they'll keep the same form factor for quite a while and just add lots of functionality in the way of both new hardware internally and software via the SDK.

It seems (IMHO) like a pretty solid, sexy piece of industrial design just the way it is. They'll never make it bigger. They'll only make is smaller when technology catches up to make is smaller AND better.

I also think the product development track for the iPhone is going to be a lot different than the iPod. I may eat my hat saying this but I think the notion of an iPhone nano is wrong. The iPhone, as it is, has the right amount of "real estate." Nothing that is larger or small is going to pass muster with Steve.

Come on. Steve's starting to get up in years. He can't see anything smaller than what we now have. ;)

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
My guess would be that they'll keep the same form factor for quite a while and just add lots of functionality in the way of both new hardware internally and software via the SDK.
I think the opposite. I feel like the only way they will get me to buy a new one is to make it look different. I'll start to think the phone looks dated and want to upgrade. I don't care about 3g, and the phone, as is does everything I could want. But if they make it look even better, or feel even better, I'll buy a new one every year.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think the opposite. I feel like the only way they will get me to buy a new one is to make it look different. I'll start to think the phone looks dated and want to upgrade. I don't care about 3g, and the phone, as is does everything I could want. But if they make it look even better, or feel even better, I'll buy a new one every year.
I presume you're in the minority there. still, I expect
both, actually: updated design AND capability.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
No way Jobs would ever make a bigger or thicker iPhone.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
He He He He, all the case makers are hoping for a slightly larger phone. Gee I wonder why?:)

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
If 3G will require a larger battery then I would suspect the iPhone would become thicker. It is already sized properly for good fit in the hand. So the only think they can really do is thicker....

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
When (If) the new iPhone is released with 3G will it necessitate a larger battery? If so, then those users looking to upgrade will also have to change their current cases. With each day, more and more cases are hitting the market with prices that are reasonable and outrageous (Vaja Silver $280 + shipping). If the consensus is that a new iPhone will indeed be deeper to accommodate the larger battery, then those contemplating spending a large sum of money for a new case should be forewarned.
I have been thinking about this also. I really want to get a Vaja case. I like the crystal cases, but $220 (or more) seems like a lot of $ to spend on a case, especially a case that may not fit iPhone2. I was thinking of getting a SP top holster and making sure it is a color that my husband would also like, since if I upgrade to iPhone2, I will give him my current iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If 3G will require a larger battery then I would suspect the iPhone would become thicker. It is already sized properly for good fit in the hand. So the only think they can really do is thicker....
i don't think it will get bigger... for two reasons. 1) i don't think Apple will compromise on this; and 2) 3G hardware is continually getting more efficient, so i think by the time Apple makes iPhone2, it won't need a bigger battery...

applecart

Bronze
Oct 13, 2007
miami, fl
a fat 3g? pass!

i am hoping that 2nd gen/3g will be thinner, much like touch. if they start pumping these babies up, might as well just call it voyager.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Koko, thats a good plan. I also ordered a vaja case. If the iPhone2 is bigger, I will just ebay the case as I would the phone, and order a new one.

Acos, it really does not matter if 3G is improving...apple will more than likely be going into production on the 3G iPhones with the current 3G technology, and doing so pretty soon if they have to meet a june/july availability.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Acos, it really does not matter if 3G is improving...apple will more than likely be going into production on the 3G iPhones with the current 3G technology, and doing so pretty soon if they have to meet a june/july availability.
i disagree... if they were going to use current technology, they would have made iPhone1 3g.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
2 Reasons:

1. Most AT&T customers are not in an area where there is 3G

2. The chips needed were expensive and at the time Jobs was already in the 499/599 range and did not think an even higher price would go over well when most could not access 3G.

(BTW this answer came from a well respected source close to Jobs and is not my opinion)

In my opinion, Jobs is not re-considering 3G for you the general consumer. He has his eye on businesss users. You just get the benefit of that pursuit. Who knows....this might have been is plan all along.

I would expect that the 3G phone will probably come with 16 gigs and sell for somewhere between $599-$699.

I think he will price with businesss users in mind.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
2 Reasons:

1. Most AT&T customers are not in an area where there is 3G
i don't understand that. i don't know the exact figures, but i do know that the vast majority of iPhoners are in large cities like New York and San Fransisco... if they compare at all to St Louis (where we have PLENTY of coverage), i don't see 3g coverage being very limited for most users.

2. The chips needed were expensive and at the time Jobs was already in the 499/599 range and did not think an even higher price would go over well when most could not access 3G.

(BTW this answer came from a well respected source close to Jobs and is not my opinion)

In my opinion, Jobs is not re-considering 3G for you the general consumer. He has his eye on businesss users. You just get the benefit of that pursuit. Who knows....this might have been is plan all along.

I would expect that the 3G phone will probably come with 16 gigs and sell for somewhere between $599-$699.

I think he will price with businesss users in mind.
if they're going to use current technology, that still doesn't solve the battery-demand issue of 3G hardware... and as i'm sure everyone knows, battery life is close to the top of features to maximize on Apple's list for just about ANY of their products.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
a group in some college just developed a lithium ion battery that will last up to TEN times longer! Cells phones for weeks. Maybe even a laptop that can run all day! Im 100% sure steve will be all over this, trying to put it in all of Apples devices. Try googling it. I'm sure they have something on it.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
So you came up with a third reason....battery life.

I am just telling you what Jobs said...and that was before the phone was even on the market.... A judgment call on Apples part. I am still convinced that the 3G is not for consumers but for businesss.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
You are right, EIC had a pole and about 70 percent of those people were in the 3G Zone. I was a 30%er in the sticks.:mad:

i don't understand that. i don't know the exact figures, but i do know that the vast majority of iPhoners are in large cities like New York and San Fransisco... if they compare at all to St Louis (where we have PLENTY of coverage), i don't see 3g coverage being very limited for most users.

if they're going to use current technology, that still doesn't solve the battery-demand issue of 3G hardware... and as i'm sure everyone knows, battery life is close to the top of features to maximize on Apple's list for just about ANY of their products.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Koko, thats a good plan. I also ordered a vaja case. If the iPhone2 is bigger, I will just ebay the case as I would the phone, and order a new one.
Which Vaja case did you order? Will you post some pics when you get it? I have not ordered one yet because everytime I go to their site I have trouble deciding.