Will iPhone SDK enable SSH?

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
When SDK rolls around, are we going to be able to have SSH? I enjoy being able to get into my phone and change around a few icons and what not, but I didn't like it being jail broken. anyone have any idea?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I foresee a very interesting situation when the SDK is released. Anyone may be able to get it and develop something for the iPhone, but Apple will control distribution of those programs via iTunes. Thus, Apple will decide what will "legally" make it to the phone.

Certainly, developers are going to want to push the boundaries (as they rightly should), and Apple will hold them back in many regards (as they must, for security reasons), so there will be a very similar dynamic to what we have today with the Apple vs. "Hacker" community. Only, the ones that truly make the "killer apps" will be rewarded will the opportunity to make some serious dosh for once!

But, these little apps that come out every day that do this and do that but are ultimately unrefined... I doubt you'll see many of them at the iTunes store. Apps that really dig into the user interface I predict Apple will be particularly stubborn about.

So things will be different, yet vaguely familiar.

But this is just my opinion, of course.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Hopefully, one of the developers will come out with copy & paste, since Apple seems unwilling or unable to perform this apparently Herculean task...:D