will iPhone sync with Outlook Contacts subfolders?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

koza

Jul 6, 2007
I am an iPhone user that syncs with Outlook. I would like to know if it is possible to sync subfolders in Outlook with my iPhone?

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
yeah...me to

I am looking to do this also. I have 2 iPhones with different info. I created separated folders in outlook 2003 but iTunes does not allow me to click the selected groups radio button. So my syncs all go to the default folders in outlook 2003. Hope someone has figured this out. It may have something to do with "groups" but I do not know how to make new "groups" in outlook.

akisok2

Sep 19, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Boy that would be a great big help

Knowing how to do contact folders would be a big help. Or how about a Plaxo plug-in for the iPhone? I use Plaxo to keep my contacts in sync and up-to-date between work and home computers.

Oct 5, 2007
Contacts sub folders

I am looking to do this also. I have 2 iPhones with different info. I created separated folders in outlook 2003 but iTunes does not allow me to click the selected groups radio button. So my syncs all go to the default folders in outlook 2003. Hope someone has figured this out. It may have something to do with "groups" but I do not know how to make new "groups" in outlook.

I haven't been able to find an answer to this ques either. There are no selected groups that show up in the window in iTunes under info when the iPhone is synced, and yet I have multiple folders. I asked a Genius at the Apple store and he didn't have an answer. He said he has a Mac and it won't let him sync selected folders either. I am surprised this doesn't work as it works perfectly on my wife's blackberry with their desktop manager It also worked on my old Nokia 6620 w/ PC Suite.

There should be an option to sync and merge in either direction also. I hope they address this in an update soon.

I did find a work around however. Copy your main contacts into another folder you create and name it something like Archive contacts for ex. and then first erase the existing contacts in your main folder and then copy the contents of the folder you want on your iPhone to the Main contacts folder in Outlook. It worked fine for me.
It would however stink if you had 2 iPhones and wanted different contacts.

We can only hope they fix this soon.

Oct 15, 2007
I haven't been able to find an answer to this ques either. There are no selected groups that show up in the window in iTunes under info when the iPhone is synced, and yet I have multiple folders. I asked a Genius at the Apple store and he didn't have an answer. He said he has a Mac and it won't let him sync selected folders either. I am surprised this doesn't work as it works perfectly on my wife's blackberry with their desktop manager It also worked on my old Nokia 6620 w/ PC Suite.

There should be an option to sync and merge in either direction also. I hope they address this in an update soon.

I did find a work around however. Copy your main contacts into another folder you create and name it something like Archive contacts for ex. and then first erase the existing contacts in your main folder and then copy the contents of the folder you want on your iPhone to the Main contacts folder in Outlook. It worked fine for me.

Any luck with this issue?

JWadle

Oct 18, 2008

I tried your workaround so that I have two Outlook folders: Contacts and Other Contacts. I only want the first one on my iPhone but it syncs both. Any idea why this didn't work?

Thanks.