will iPhone work on uk networks?

buttas

Aug 28, 2007
just a quick question to see if anyone knows?

I am currently in boston at college, and want to buy an iPhone. I will be going back home to uk in december. is there any reason why the iPhone i buy here wont work with a uk network sim card? or will i be stuck with an expensive mp3 player, and should have waited til i got home?

cheers

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
just a quick question to see if anyone knows?

I am currently in boston at college, and want to buy an iPhone. I will be going back home to uk in december. is there any reason why the iPhone i buy here wont work with a uk network sim card? or will i be stuck with an expensive mp3 player, and should have waited til i got home?

cheers

The iPhone is sold only in the US, and only on the AT&T network at the moment.

So, since AT&T isn't in the UK, and UK Apple stores don't sell the iPhone, currently it won't work.

There's no way to know if you'll be able to activate a US purchased iPhone in the UK or if the UK version will be a different product internally, until later this year when the iPhone is sold in the UK with a UK provider.

If you decide you need a US iPhone now, and want it to work in the UK later, you'll want to check out the various hacks to see if you're willing to bet $600 you can get a hack that works before you leave Boston.

I know the exchange rate makes buying in the US before you leave sound like a good idea... but I'd suggest you wait and see how exactly the UK iPhone rollout works out before you try it. Instead, take advantage of the exchange rate to do all your Christmas shopping in Boston, then buy yourself an iPhone for Christmas when you get back home.