Will it get better...?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
Hey all, longtime lurker, first time poster:

Got my "new" refurb. iPhone 8 gig from Apple - unlocked and loving it so far. However, I'm beginning to suspect that I have a defective battery...

I take this to work everyday - On a typical workday, get about 4 hours of usage (~2 hrs of music, ~30 min. of video, etc.) and 15-16 hours of standby before my battery shows the 10% left warning. This is with Wi-Fi and BT off, 50% screen brightness with auto-dim and about 30-45 min of talk-time.

Is this normal? Is it just "breaking in"? Or do I have a defect...?

Thanks

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
There are a couple things that are most commonly overlooked when judging your battery life. The first is the kind of reception you get in the area where you spend most of your time. If you're not getting very good reception, your phone is expending more power than it would normally when it needs to ping the nearest cell tower.

Another thing to consider is if your battery is new or not. If it's new, its going to take a few recharge cycles to bring it up to full capacity, which is typical of lithium based batteries.

If you don't see any improvements after a few days you may want to consider returning the phone. I listen to music for most of my work day, as well as do SMS and light browsing. I average about 4 hours of use with 17-22 hours of standby. I'm left with about 1/4 of my battery at this point, and is generally when dock it to charge.

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
Another thing to consider is if your battery is new or not. If it's new, its going to take a few recharge cycles to bring it up to full capacity, which is typical of lithium based batteries.

If you don't see any improvements after a few days you may want to consider returning the phone. I listen to music for most of my work day, as well as do SMS and light browsing. I average about 4 hours of use with 17-22 hours of standby. I'm left with about 1/4 of my battery at this point, and is generally when dock it to charge.
That's the feedback I was looking for. I just ordered it from Apple.com so I'm hoping that it's just a new battery that needs to go through a few cycles. It's only been two days since I've gotten it.. I'll def. have to keep an eye out.

Thanks!

muffinman

Sep 18, 2007
iPodTouch said:
Well I suggest if you are going to try to get it replace the sooner you report the problem to Apple the better for you case. Don't think it makes any sense saying you keep up with the problem longer and hope it will just get better. Even if it is just your use, always better to be safe than sorry. I suggest you report the battery problem regardless of the outcome
I totally agree with you, which is why I'm posting here to see if these new phones typically need to be "broken in" before they hold a full capacity charge. I've only had it for two days and wanted to know if the battery getting better as I charge it more was true or not before returning to the Apple store. Thanks