Will my new iPhone work without internet

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
I purchased a new phone and was told i needed the data package for phone to work. Is this true and if not can i just have the internet turned off and still have normal operation. Thanks

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you bought from Apple or AT&T, then yes, you have to have a data package. If you bought it "new" through another 3rd party and do not have the required service package, then you can simply use WiFi when it's available.
However, the phone needs to be activated first, and that is generally done through iTunes or at the store you bought it from.

And Honestly, if you don't plan on taking advantage of having service, you should have just bought an ipod touch. It's about the same thing as an out of service iPhone without a camera.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Beware you 'may' get charged for internet if you're settings aren't correctly set...just a warning...unless you like $$$ phone bills.

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
i have access to wifi at work and home. so i would like to block internet service alltogether if possible. so again will the phone operate without constant internet.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think you can call AT&T and have them block data all together, but I'm not 100% positive.

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
I think you can call AT&T and have them block data all together, but I'm not 100% positive.
yes i can do this as i have done it on my sons razor but ATT tells me iPhone will not work if internet is not present i need to know if this is true or just BS from a salesman.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think the more appropiate statement is owning an iPhone without the data package is practially pointless. Even with regular access to wifi, there are still going to be plenty of occasions where wifi is not available, which means no email, maps, Internet, or apps that pull down information.
I'm sure that the standard response to anyone asking about getting the iPhone without data is going to be told it won't work, because most of the phones true functions require connectivity. And whether they can block data access or not becomes important, because otherwise you end up with the $1500 phone bill.
But if they are telling you you have to have it, then there is really no way you are getting around it unless you buy one off eBay.