Will power adaptor for iPod work for iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blacksheep5

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Iraq
I did a search and did not find what I was looking for, will the power adapter for the 40G click wheel iPod work with the iPhone?

the iPod one puts out 13V @ 0.62A
the iPhone one puts out 5V @ 1A

will it hurt the iPhone?

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I did a search and did not find what I was looking for, will the power adapter for the 40G click wheel iPod work with the iPhone?

the iPod one puts out 13V @ 0.62A
the iPhone one puts out 5V @ 1A

will it hurt the iPhone?
I don't recommend using the 13V charger. I've had several friends who had problems using the Firewire style chargers on their iPhones. The phone would charge but tend to over heat randomly. So much so that it was too hot to touch.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I don't recommend using the 13V charger. I've had several friends who had problems using the Firewire style chargers on their iPhones. The phone would charge but tend to over heat randomly. So much so that it was too hot to touch.

Yeah the heat kills the battery quickly.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
The odd thing is that their phones got hot anywhere from 1 to 2 hours after being charged with the 12V charger. It could be that the overcharged battery is causing problems. I suspect that the proper charging regulation is missing from the firewire connection on the iPhone.

maf2003

Sep 24, 2007
well we all know that we get what we paid for. im not buying anymore cheap chargers(had bad experience). now that i got my iPhone back to normal im only using the original charger and maybe a good aftermarket one thats made for the iPhone with exact volts and amps as Apple charger. So i wouldn't recommend any cheap ebay charger

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I won't use anything that isn't regulated to 5V DC. Even my car charger has to have internal 5V regulation or I won't use it for my iPhone. Keep in mind that there are two ways to charge. The USB port connection and the Firewire connection. Most 12V Chargers are using the firewire pins on the 30 pin iPhone connector. I don't recommend using the firewire pins at all.

Here is the 30 pin connector pin-out.
http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

blacksheep5

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Iraq
but the majority of chargers do not say what the output voltage is. even the ones sold in the store here don't say.

The one on eBay says "works with iPhone" but when i got it, the voltage is 9.5V @ 500mA.

The one here at the store says "works with iPhone" I'm sure the guys who run the store here, know what they are doing so I might order from here.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
but the majority of chargers do not say what the output voltage is. even the ones sold in the store here don't say.

The one on eBay says "works with iPhone" but when i got it, the voltage is 9.5V @ 500mA.

The one here at the store says "works with iPhone" I'm sure the guys who run the store here, know what they are doing so I might order from here.
I look for a charger that has a USB connector. This way I know that it's 5V.