Will Pre manhandle iPhone

mdb4403

Bronze
Mar 11, 2009
I've been watching Precental.net for news on the Pre. I have to say it looks pretty impressive. Nice interface, powerful processor, multitasking, battery life better or comparable to the iPhone, new apps being prepeared daily etc. The first hand accounts of people who have actually had real time with the pre are emphatically positive. Consensus is that is blows the iPhone away. Could this be the end of iPhone's world domination.

Last edited by a moderator:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Lets see it organize music and hold up to 32GB...
I think people are forgetting the point of the iPhone: to merge an ipod with a phone. It just happens to be the best phone as well :)
I can't ever see another company doing it better.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I've been watching Precental.net for news on the Pre. I have to say it looks pretty impressive. Nice interface, powerful processor, multitasking, battery life better or comparable to the iPhone, new apps being prepeared daily etc. The first hand accounts of people who have actually had real time with the pre are emphatically positive. Consensus is that is blows the iPhone away. Could this be the end of iPhone's world domination.
I doubt it will blow the iPhone away, it has yet to be released and we don't really know anything about battery or if multitasking will make smoothness and battery suffer. The iPhone has such a large customer base of people who love their phone and will never like the pre. Plus this summer Apple will be releasing a new iPhone which will most likely take a step ahead of the Pre, so we will see. Although I think the Pre will give Apple some competition and keep them on their toes, but Apple will probably come out in the end. Just my 2 cents.

Oh I forgot some stuff - iTunes syncing, OPTIONS in space and color and the Pre ONLY offers 8GB with no option to expand space, the iPhone will most likely have the options of 16GB and 32GB, Apple has money to blow, palm doesn't, sprint isn't doing the best right now, and so many other reasons.

mdb4403

Bronze
Mar 11, 2009
I don't disagree with you although by all accounts the operating system works as advertised, no crashes, smooth multitasking with up to ten windows open. Sounds pretty good. I have a 3g and am very happy with it. I solved the battery issues (Mophie Air- great by the way) and agree its a superior product. Now if I could just multitask one other non-native app (streaming music) I would be a happy camper. As it stands now, the wife may be getting the iPhone and her husband the pre.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
there are a lot of nice things the Pre has going for it. Honestly, I don't think there is a phone or company out there that can have much of an impact on Apple's success with the iPhone.

I for one will be getting the Pre. I'm very intrigued by the interface, the "Synergy" concept, the web browser, keyboard, multitasking. I won't be giving up my iPhone, I'll simply be adding a plan with Sprint and having a little fun with the Pre.

It has a lot of potential and in my mind is the first true alternative to the iPhone. The music player appears to be well implemented and it has amazon mp3 store(so does Android). One of the more attractive aspects of the Pre to me is it is kind of a crossover between the Blackberry and iPhone for me. I love my Blackberry and my iPhone. It appears that the Pre has brought in some of the social connectivity features of the BlackBerry while implementing the browsing/media prowess of the iPhone. Without trying this phone it sounds like all I've ever wanted in a device other than it is CDMA and not GSM. Still, alluring enough for me to try it out.

And to those worried about multitasking and the strain it will put on the device and battery....Every BlackBerry or Nokia N series device I've had have done this just fine with = or greater battery life than the iPhone. The multitasking or lack of is my biggest gripe (still). I hate not being able to leave Facebook or IM programs connected. Yes, I know, push notifications....blah, blah, blah. I hate getting a call or text and losing my progress in my game. Again, I don't necessarily think the Pre will be better than the iPhone. I don't think webOS will be conducive to running apps that are near as complex as the ones the iPhone has. Their app store won't even come close. THIS is why I won't let go of my iPhone. The Pre is going to be a very, very good device, but I don't think Apple will have to lose much sleep over it.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Here's a good article on the topic : http://theAppleblog.com/2009/05/27/palm-pre-unlikely-to-do-any-killing-just-yet/
I agree with what they say about this just like when the iPhone came out will have tons of little problems because it is still very young. They are showing that it looked smooth, but so did 3.0 on the March 17th keynote and our 1st beta wasn't anything like what they showed. I know that was a beta but still the actual product is always different from their demonstration. I don't think Apple will lost sleep over it either. And don't forget that this 'iPhone killer' was used for the Storm and G1, but that never happened for either of those phones.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Here's a good article on the topic : http://theAppleblog.com/2009/05/27/palm-pre-unlikely-to-do-any-killing-just-yet/
I agree with what they say about this just like when the iPhone came out will have tons of little problems because it is still very young. They are showing that it looked smooth, but so did 3.0 on the March 17th keynote and our 1st beta wasn't anything like what they showed. I know that was a beta but still the actual product is always different from their demonstration. I don't think Apple will lost sleep over it either. And don't forget that this 'iPhone killer' was used for the Storm and G1, but that never happened for either of those phones.
i think, even without being released, the Pre is already far superior to the Storm and G1. The OS on the Storm was very poorly implemented. It is still good for a Blackberry albeit a bit slow. I still have a Storm and I do like it, although I like my Blackberry to be a Blackberry and prefer my Bold. I think the point of the Storm was to give people a BlackBerry alternative with more of a consumer rather than businesss emphasis. Android itself is very nice. The G1 sucks, plain and simple, but don't discount Android. The G1 is limited by hardware that looks like something from 2002.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I hated the storm. The click touch screen was horrible. After trying to use it for 5 minutes I gave up.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I hated the storm. The click touch screen was horrible. After trying to use it for 5 minutes I gave up.
I liked the click at first, but I got tired of it very fast. Glad to see that RIM has abandoned that method in the Storm 2.

May 6, 2007
United States
"Manhandle" is unlikely.

Competition is very likely between the two, and I'd say that's a good thing. At least there will be something rivaling the iPhone, pushing Apple to go bigger and better. I still don't like the way the Pre looks as much as the iPhone, but I agree that the interface looks nice.

So the answer to your question is no, probably not.

mdb4403

Bronze
Mar 11, 2009
You know the one thing that may keep me from getting the Pre is the physical keyboard. I come from a long line of blackberries and what kept me from getting the iPhone was the virtual keyboard. I finally just said what the hell and now I am so proficient on the keyboard I would never go back to a hard keyboard. The other thing that would drive me crazy is that while surfing the web if there is something i need to type on the Pre you have to leave landscape mode and then open the keyboard. I have a feeling that would get old quickly.

Also, I had the blackberry Storm for one day before I returned it and bought the iPhone. The storm sucked even after I tried installing the various "unofficial" operating systems that were supposed to cure many of the problems.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I liked the click at first, but I got tired of it very fast. Glad to see that RIM has abandoned that method in the Storm 2.
I didn't know they were getting rid of it. I wonder if it wasn't liked that much that they are removing that feature. I mean that was their biggest selling point about the phone and they are getting rid of it? Sounds like it wasn't as big as they had hoped.
You know the one thing that may keep me from getting the Pre is the physical keyboard. I come from a long line of blackberries and what kept me from getting the iPhone was the virtual keyboard. I finally just said what the hell and now I am so proficient on the keyboard I would never go back to a hard keyboard. The other thing that would drive me crazy is that while surfing the web if there is something i need to type on the Pre you have to leave landscape mode and then open the keyboard. I have a feeling that would get old quickly.

Also, I had the blackberry Storm for one day before I returned it and bought the iPhone. The storm sucked even after I tried installing the various "unofficial" operating systems that were supposed to cure many of the problems.
I never hesitated when I picked up my iPhone, I always liked the idea of virtual typing. Seriously as soon as I picked up that phone and was typing faster and better on it than any other phone I had owned. But I have seen people struggle with the typing so it just depends. I will never and can't use physical keyboards anymore, they just irritate me :laugh2:. That is the downside with the G1 and the Pre having real keyboards, you can only type on them in one postition, the Pre portrait and the G1 landscape.
I think Apple and palm will have some serious competition ahead of them, but really it will only benefit us in the end with better, cheaper, and more loaded phones.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I didn't know they were getting rid of it. I wonder if it wasn't liked that much that they are removing that feature. I mean that was their biggest selling point about the phone and they are getting rid of it? Sounds like it wasn't as big as they had hoped.
yeah every Storm 2 rumor/leaked photo i've seen points to them abandoning it. I guess can see the writing on the wall when it comes to the Storm. it started with good potential but poor implementation all the way around.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
With the App Store and growing popularity of the iPhone daily, I really don't see the Pre manhandling the iPhone at all.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I look at the Pre articles and buzz about it and wonder if the media is just doing another repeat of touting yet another device as the iPhone killer yet again.

Everyone will say its the iPhone killer just like they all did with the blackberry Storm, the Samsung instinct and various other iPhone "rival" phones. But once the new toy hype died down, many started waiting for the next killer. I don't see it as great competition i see it as a last ditch effort for Sprint to do something major so that the company along with a few mobile phone makers (palm esp) don't fall into obscurity.

Apple did what they do best which is form and factor in a cutting edge package. Blending a Phone, with an iPod and adding a lot of expandability and Games (PSP) instead of having all these devices in your pockets. Before the iPhone, many people had their cell phone in one pocket, their iPod in another and their PSP (if young) on occasion. What im getting at is Apple beat ALL these very very long standing mobile phone makers at their own game, and pretty much changed the rules of how to play to stay in for good.

Sorry for my lame metaphor but Apple has pretty much forced every smartphone maker to either match or attempt to raise the chips or fold out.

The phone looks great, and the specs are strong, but i don't see it manhandling the iPhone anytime soon.

I have a friend who is getting the Pre, he's upgrading from his instinct lets see if he will like the pre or come on over to the iPhone. He does have an iPod touch 2gen so if he likes that then the iPhone isn't much different.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reasons I'm staying with the next generation iPhone and not Pre

I have been reading reviews and comparisons of the Pre vs iPhone.

The Pre will be released very soon on June 6th and there will be a lot of fanfare made over it. However, I do see a number of shortcomings with the Pre compared to the iPhone. Many of the comparisons made have been with the current iPhone 3G, but I choose to compare the next generation iPhone with its well-expected rumors.

I do admit these positives with the Pre:

• the ergonomics and feel of the Pre in the hand
  • the user interface and capacitive touch and gestures
  • multitasking ability
  • responsivness of web browsing
  • removeable battery
  • used with several carriers (Sprint/Verizon)

Now for the negatives and these are the deal breaker for me:

• physical keyboard which is small and makes typing very difficult (accidentally hitting wrong keys, just reported on BoyGenius)
  • smaller screen, 3.1 vs iPhone 3.5, not good for viewing movies, gaming
  • 8GB compared to iPhone's 16 and 32GB
  • sparse software development and apps, Apple is well ahead in this area
  • no video recording, next gen iPhone will likely have this
  • camera is 3.0 compared to iPhone's rumored but likely 3.2
  • aesthetically not as beautiful as the iPhone, too plastic looking
  • Palm not as strong a company as Apple, and low on cash

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I look at the Pre articles and buzz about it and wonder if the media is just doing another repeat of touting yet another device as the iPhone killer yet again.

Everyone will say its the iPhone killer just like they all did with the blackberry Storm, the Samsung instinct and various other iPhone "rival" phones. But once the new toy hype died down, many started waiting for the next killer. I don't see it as great competition i see it as a last ditch effort for Sprint to do something major so that the company along with a few mobile phone makers (palm esp) don't fall into obscurity.

Apple did what they do best which is form and factor in a cutting edge package. Blending a Phone, with an iPod and adding a lot of expandability and Games (PSP) instead of having all these devices in your pockets. Before the iPhone, many people had their cell phone in one pocket, their iPod in another and their PSP (if young) on occasion. What im getting at is Apple beat ALL these very very long standing mobile phone makers at their own game, and pretty much changed the rules of how to play to stay in for good.

Sorry for my lame metaphor but Apple has pretty much forced every smartphone maker to either match or attempt to raise the chips or fold out.

The phone looks great, and the specs are strong, but i don't see it manhandling the iPhone anytime soon.

I have a friend who is getting the Pre, he's upgrading from his instinct lets see if he will like the pre or come on over to the iPhone. He does have an iPod touch 2gen so if he likes that then the iPhone isn't much different.
Good post, London. +1