Will replacement come with 3.1?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Someone I know has a 32GB 3GS.

It rattles inside like mine used to but a lot worse than mine was before I got mine replaced and he is thinking about sending it away to Apple to get his replaced.

The only problem is that the phone is jailbroken/unlocked and he doesn't want the 3.1 firmware for obvious reasons.

Just wondering what is the chance that the replacement phone will come with 3.1 on it?

Do you think when he rings up for a replacement he could ask Apple if they could send one with 3.0 on because he has heard problems about 3.1 or somthing so doesn't want 3.1 at the minute? or will they just say no?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Why doesn't he just restore it to 3.0.1 and take it the Apple shop and get replacement from them.

Depending on there stock levels, they might have a stock 3.0/3.0.1 iPhone. It totally depends how new there stock is. I've had replacements before, back in the 2.0 days, they were like two firmware updates out of date. It's a game of chance.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I definitely wouldn't phone Apple/o2 and ask for a 3.0/3.0.1 phone. They will probably know why for a start, secondly they'll probably send it 3.1 out of spite ;(

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Why doesn't he just restore it to 3.0.1 and take it the Apple shop and get replacement from them.

Depending on there stock levels, they might have a stock 3.0/3.0.1 iPhone. It totally depends how new there stock is. I've had replacements before, back in the 2.0 days, they were like two firmware updates out of date. It's a game of chance.
Because the nearest Apple store is Manchester.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I had my old 3G replaced last week, the replacement was 3.0.1...

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
They'll give him one with the current software since they'll never admit they have made a flawed software update.

I used to think of Windows and Apple like this :

Windows software : they make lots of products, sell them and let the user be the R&D department and issue patches as the complaints come in.

Apple : they make a few products, R&D them before they sell them and when they sell them the customer doesn't have problems.

Well, seems like Apple is turning into Windows with the crappy updates even though they put out Beta versions. This isn't your father's Apple anymore...

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
They'll give him one with the current software since they'll never admit they have made a flawed software update.
Not true. As stated already, it's truly a game of chance. It all depends where he is taking/sending it to, and how new their stock is and/or where they pull from the stock.

Good luck!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It really depends. I got a phone replaced once one of then 2.x firmwares was out and the phone was still on 1.1.4. Definitely depends on the store, stock, and such.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
I received a 3GS direct from Apple yesterday and it came with 3.0.1 on it. It was a new retail box 16GB 3GS.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I received a 3GS direct from Apple yesterday and it came with 3.0.1 on it. It was a new retail box 16GB 3GS.
Yeah but thats diffrent because it was probably just old stock, The replacements I am not sure if they refurbish the phone then update to the latest firmware or just leave what is already on the phone I would of thought they would update it but you never know.

He is just going to leave it and live with it for now and wait to see if a exploit is found for the new baseband then if there is one found and the tools are released he will send it back.

He said he would rather have a rattle than no unlock.