Will the Gold iPhone 5S Be Exclusive to 128GB Model

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Aug 27, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not sure where I saw this rumor, but some have alleged that Apple will offering the gold iPhone 5S in a 128GB configuration only, making it more like a special edition. I'm all for both 128GB storage capacities and the gold/champagne colors, but I'm not in the market for that much storage (or the price that will come along with it). That would be around $499 on-contract, given the $399 price tag of the 64GB configuration.

Will Apple make it exclusive? Anyone think that makes sense?

If available, I'm all over the 16GB champagne/white model. Bling, bling!

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I actually like this rumor. I wouldn't buy the 128gb model just to get that color, but I like the idea.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Making gold a status symbol.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. That will appeal to a lot of people, I think.

I have a 64gb 5 right now, but I only need 32gb. Maybe the new lineup will start at 32gb.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I read this rumor also. I don't think Apple will do that. Aww Damn I hope not anyway. I really need and want a 128GB but I do not want the Gold color.

6. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

No chance, very bad precedent to set.

As an aside:
    I think, as much as people don't like to admit it, people like having a phone everyone can see is the new model.
    The new color is a great idea for the in-between upgrade.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

This would be fine for Apple to do, but knowing what most people do, this would be a bad purchase for most if they are buying for the color. People will just put this in an ugly plastic case and cover the color anyway.

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

LOL! U R right there are some show offs who are all too proud to pump their new devices. I don't care about that. In fact, it's the opposite for me. I live and work and travel through areas where its best that no one sees what I have. If they're gonna try to take it then so be it, but for me showing off this is the brand newie new Golden iPhone 5S with 128GB is a foolish idea. Then I would actually be targeted. For me the same same same is good enough. I'd know its new and I'd know it was 128GB I personally don't need anyone to be able to figure it out just on sight.

Apple will do what they want, but I am hoping for an iPhone 5S that looks just like what I have with new innards. They can offer the Gold with 128 just as long as I can get it in my beloved black.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You know what I think would be nice? Perhaps a shell made out of a super strong scratch resistant material that is thin, awesome looking, comes in colors that is semi permanent (at least 5 years), then Apple would just release upgraded motherboards that can slide in and in essense give you a brand new device (inside), does that sound like a good idea?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Any tech company that did this would lose profit so there isn't much incentive for them. Why do this when they can sell you a whole new phone? There are other parts to consider that aren't on the logic board such as the camera and battery that will add to the replacement/upgrade cost. The phone only costs $200 with subsidation and the individual parts wouldn't be subsidized so you wouldn't save any money in the long run - and you'd have a device with more wear than one you only had for one or two years. There are wear points to consider other than scratches and dings such as the home/lock buttons.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yeah, I guess you're right, perhaps instead, it can be a universal water proof case that would somehow connect to the phone and relay sound from it as well while providing a mic, etc. I'm thinking out loud here...