Will the iPhone 3G be hard to get? Or easy like V1?

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Will the iPhone 3G, is that what the official name is?, be easy to get like the first one was, they really over stocked them! Or will there not be enough and you have to wait in like 3 hours? I want to go right in at 6, I won't wait, do you think I'll get one? Sorry if this has been asked but I don't wanna look :mad:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
My personal opinion is that there will be plenty of supply. Now you may want to wait until Sat. to get the phone, but even this will probably depend on location. Either way, you will have a phone in your hands by Sat. if you want one.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Will the iPhone 3G, is that what the official name is?, be easy to get like the first one was, they really over stocked them! Or will there not be enough and you have to wait in like 3 hours? I want to go right in at 6, I won't wait, do you think I'll get one? Sorry if this has been asked but I don't wanna look :mad:
is that what the official name is?
-Yes, iPhone 3G:)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seriously wont be a problem cause this the "iDay2" and they(Apple/customers) oughta be more prepared this time around.
+theirs plenty members around EIC who claim that they didn't/wouldn't/couldn't camp and simply walked into an Apple/At&t store after the release or shockingly the next day and bought one right then and their so...Its nothing to spaz about you'll be fine;)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree with dturner. Most of the hardcore Apple fans already have a v1 iPhone and more than a few of them are content with staying with the v1. Also most of us who got the v1 early realized that there was plenty of stock still left on the second day. I don't see supply being a problem at all.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I doubt the 3G iPhone will be as big of a deal as the first iPhone. I know I won't be getting mine for a while unless it retails for $200 w/o contract/upgrade.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I'll probably go to an AT&T store close to me on Saturday and hopefully get it then. I doubt they'll sell out that fast (if at all) because this time around you need to activate it first instead of buying it and taking it home.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I like my iPhones like I like my women, easy and cheap.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I really think it will be easier to buy than the first gen model. The growth will come overseas and from the enterprise sector.

Jun 25, 2008
3g iPhone for everyone who wants one

I just spoke with our local Apple store, they said that if you go to an Apple store you will be able to purchase a phone without contract. I am buying one for a friend as a gift. It will also be available to be unlocked just like last versions. Now, with that said, that is coming from the horses mouth. there is really no way to stop an iPhone from being unlocked. Apple wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot that way. If they relied on only At&t customers they would have not made near the amount of money otherwise. Apple doesn't hurt by a T-mobile customer using an iPhone. it is common knowledge.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I just spoke with our local Apple store, they said that if you go to an Apple store you will be able to purchase a phone without contract. I am buying one for a friend as a gift. It will also be available to be unlocked just like last versions. Now, with that said, that is coming from the horses mouth. there is really no way to stop an iPhone from being unlocked. Apple wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot that way. If they relied on only At&t customers they would have not made near the amount of money otherwise. Apple doesn't hurt by a T-mobile customer using an iPhone. it is common knowledge.
This is completely wrong. I'm afraid the local Apple store was giving you information that pertained only to the first gen. iPhone. The iPhone 3G will NOT be activated at home through iTunes. ALL activations will take place in either AT&T or Apple retail stores only.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is completely wrong. I'm afraid the local Apple store was giving you information that pertained only to the first gen. iPhone. The iPhone 3G will NOT be activated at home through iTunes. ALL activations will take place in either AT&T or Apple retail stores only.
Wiser works were never spoken.:cool:

Jun 25, 2008
Activation on the 3G

My point was that anyone will be able to buy the iPhone, it will also be just as unlockable as the last generation. Call any Apple store and they will tell you that anyone can come buy an iPhone. Activation is up to the individual who purchases one, through AT&T or unlocked via internet, just like the last generation. There will be no difference there. That info is coming straight from a 10 year veteran of Apple. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. i will post again with my results.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
um, yeah, nice try. Fail. There is still a little exclusivity contract that AT&T/Apple signed and Apple doesn't want to breach that contract. If carrier relationships didn't matter to Apple they wouldn't be selecting specific carriers to work with and would just sell the phone unlocked for all GSM carriers. Research and you shall become educated (we hope).

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
My point was that anyone will be able to buy the iPhone, it will also be just as unlockable as the last generation. Call any Apple store and they will tell you that anyone can come buy an iPhone. Activation is up to the individual who purchases one, through AT&T or unlocked via internet, just like the last generation. There will be no difference there. That info is coming straight from a 10 year veteran of Apple. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. i will post again with my results.
Maybe you've missed all the postings straight from an AT&T spokesperson stating that all activations will be done in store and there will be no sales online. There is nobody in an Apple store that knows squat right now about the iPhone activations and its likely that we know more than most of them do.

And an Apple representative will never, ever, ever tell you that the iPhone is unlockable. Period. That crashes the credibility of your "story". Unlocking the iPhone voids your warranty. Try again. It sounds to me like you are an ebay profiteer, grasping at straws, hoping that there is a glimmer of a hope for you to be able to get your hands on one without activating it. If you are a T-Mobile customer and you actually know anything about the iPhone at all you would also know that it's pointless to even try for the 3g and just go with the version 1. The iPhone 3g is not compatible with T-Mobile's 3g bands and thereforee you will have the same internet (EDGE) speeds as the v1 iPhone. You can get a unlocked v1 iPhone for $250 on craigslist or ebay if you look hard enough. If Apple/AT&T decide to offer the iPhone 3g without a contract it's going to run between $500 and $700. The $199/$299 price is only with a 2 year contract. Why would anyone pay that insane retail amount when the only added benefit is a GPS.

And I actually live down the street from a general manager of an AT&T store. He cannot tell me everything but he has guaranteed that in store activations are a must, but they have not figured out how they are going to handle current iPhone customers. In order to expedite and not create a nightmare with the long lines they might just take the IMEI from the existing iPhone customer and let you activate it at home, and if the iPhone is not activated within 30 days, then you get charged the difference between a full retail price and the subsidized price. Again, that last part is not set in stone and they may still require all existing customers as well to activate in store if they can't find a feasible way that diminishes the potential for unlocking.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
it will also be just as unlockable as the last generation.
This is probably true, but it sure isn't going to be cost effective. You will pay one way or another to switch carriers. And even it you go with T-Mobile, you will be stuck with edge not 3G.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
This is probably true, but it sure isn't going to be cost effective. You will pay one way or another to switch carriers.
yep I agree it will be unlockable. I wouldn't be surprised if Zibri and the boys have something out within the first week.

But like you said, it is not going to be cost effective at all. Nobody will be able to walk out of a store, go home, and unlock an iPhone without first being tied to an AT&T contract.