Will the iPhone 5S have a fingerprint scanner?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rjkgr

Bronze
Aug 14, 2013
Is it true that the iPhone 5s will have finger print scanner? My friend told me but not sure so asking here.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yes, at least according to the latest rumor. It will feature a fingerprint sensor, something that would likely be used as a security feature. You could lock and unlock your iPhone 5S using the home button. I don't see it becoming a payment device initially, but fingerprint sensor technology does lend itself to this in the future.

The home button might switch from convex and be covered in sapphire. If the home button is more expose, the material needs to be hard to prevent from scratching. Sapphire is one of the hardest materials.

More information is available in this article.

Going forward, please use more specific thread titles. Thanks.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is it true that the iPhone 5s will have finger print scanner? My friend told me but not sure so asking here.
We won't know anything for sure until Apple announces the phone. It's all just rumors right now.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
rumor or not! I love the idea of fingerprint scanners and everything else like voice recognition
I don't know how useful this feature would be, but I'm always for more features as long as they work. Apple tends to not implement half baked features.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I know its just rumor, but it would be a cool security feature. I like being my phone locked but sometimes hate putting in a passcode to send a short text. fingerprint scanner would make short tasks on the go so much easier. I hope it's included.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
It sounds like a cool feature but it would be one that I would never use. I don't use the pass code lock onto phone now. And it would be a pain if I were the only one able to use my phone because if the fingerprint scanner. My wife and my children all use my phone for one thing or another and to have to scan my thumb every time so they could use it would be a royal pain. Plus, it looks like the new iPhone is going to have the same casing. I read a really good post in another thread where the poster was concerned about his Otterbox Defender case not working due to the rumored fingerprint scanner on the home button because the case covers it. So essentially he would have to buy another case. This wouldn't matter toe though because I have my trusty BookBook case, but for others it would suck.

Sent from my smoking white hot iPhone 5 on AT&T.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
It sounds like a cool feature but it would be one that I would never use. I don't use the pass code lock onto phone now. And it would be a pain if I were the only one able to use my phone because if the fingerprint scanner. My wife and my children all use my phone for one thing or another and to have to scan my thumb every time so they could use it would be a royal pain. Plus, it looks like the new iPhone is going to have the same casing. I read a really good post in another thread where the poster was concerned about his Otterbox Defender case not working due to the rumored fingerprint scanner on the home button because the case covers it. So essentially he would have to buy another case. This wouldn't matter toe though because I have my trusty BookBook case, but for others it would suck.

Sent from my smoking white hot iPhone 5 on AT&T.
It would be a pain to let others borrow the phone if you have to use a fingerprint scanner to use one. Like many features with Apple if it is a true feature the fingerprint will likely be something you can just disable in settings and unlock/lock as normal. I'm just concerned about ppl's fingerprints stored in a database that some genius can hack into and guess what.....identity stolen. I have the 5 but if I upgrade I WILL NOT use this fingerprint software. I sound crazy but that's the conspiracy in me. Pretty soon well be outfitted w/chips in our hands/ears or somewhere. How we advance in technology is advantageous but sometimes worrisome.

Sent using iCafe app

NeFFy

Jun 26, 2013
Something like this is sketchy to me. Security for iPhone is good but the passcode is just as good. There are still ways to get by a simple pass and/or fingerprint recognition (simply put in recovery mode). I wouldn't want my fingerprint to be stored into a data base somewhere. Security tweaks are rising but we're slowly losing human rights and freedom with 'cool' security features.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Something like this is sketchy to me. Security for iPhone is good but the passcode is just as good. There are still ways to get by a simple pass and/or fingerprint recognition (simply put in recovery mode). I wouldn't want my fingerprint to be stored into a data base somewhere. Security tweaks are rising but we're slowly losing human rights and freedom with 'cool' security features.
Put it in recovery mode to restore it? Sure you can do that with either method. The point isn't to prevent restores, it's to secure your information. This will just be an alternate method to the passcode lock. It should be faster, too. Those who are worried about the government using it to hack into their phones don't have to use it.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I welcome technology. My workplace uses retinal scanners. Bring on the finger print scanners. Makes it easier for me to unlock my iPhone. Maybe Apple will do away with passwords all together on their accounts and allow access to their services with just biometrics. That would be nice.

ZAT

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
If it does I hope it can be disabled, selectively enabled like say for virtual wallet type transactions and the data better only be stored locally. I like new tech, but the whole finger print database thing gives me the heebies.