Will the iPhone 6 have an "S"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Matt Reid

Bronze
Jun 12, 2014
I know they are most likely bringing out 2 models one with a bigger screen, but do you think they will bring out an iPhone 6S ?
I am going to sell my 5s in august but don't know weather to buy the iPhone 6 5.5 on release date or wait for them to bring out a quicker version of the two

~Hartly

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know they are most likely bringing out 2 models one with a bigger screen, but do you think they will bring out an iPhone 6S ?
I am going to sell my 5s in august but don't know weather to buy the iPhone 6 5.5 on release date or wait for them to bring out a quicker version of the two
We typically see new designs every other year and the names don't have an "S." A new design is expected this year and the rumors all support that. If the typical trends follow, the 6S would have the same or a very similar design as the iPhone 6 and it would come out next year (fall 2015).

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

~Hartly
An "S" version doesn't necessarily mean quicker. It may just have a better camera or something.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
An "S" version doesn't necessarily mean quicker. It may just have a better camera or something.
S versions are the previous year's design with better specs. They have launched every other year since the first one (the 3GS). Every S version so far has had a faster processor than its predecessor. This year won't be an S version; we are already currently on an S version.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Yep. The 6s will be the 6-month bump for the regular 6. Maybe they'll add digital image stability to the 4.7" camera or something like that.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
S versions are the previous year's design with better specs. They have launched every other year since the first one (the 3GS). Every S version so far has had a faster processor than its predecessor. This year won't be an S version; we are already currently on an S version.
Agreed. Every "S" version has had a speed bump.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Yes, but that's the past. Things at Apple are changing. Larger screens with more than one model and etc. And those rumors! Some say the A8 processor will come with the 6. ? I'm thinking not. But with the 5.5" phablet coming also, maybe so. And there's the point that the newest processors (A6 and A7) are both pretty doggone fast. Many who have compared the two say the difference is negligible. It looks big on paper, but not that noticeable in use for most things. I'm thinking that will continue. When everything seems already instantaneous, just how much faster can it get, that we will notice? Going forward, I think the issue becomes power and battery performance. Quickness has about reached all it can reach, IMO.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yes, but that's the past. Things at Apple are changing. Larger screens with more than one model and etc. And those rumors! Some say the A8 processor will come with the 6. ? I'm thinking not. But with the 5.5" phablet coming also, maybe so. And there's the point that the newest processors (A6 and A7) are both pretty doggone fast. Many who have compared the two say the difference is negligible. It looks big on paper, but not that noticeable in use for most things. I'm thinking that will continue. When everything seems already instantaneous, just how much faster can it get, that we will notice? Going forward, I think the issue becomes power and battery performance. Quickness has about reached all it can reach, IMO.
The Earth revolves around the Sun, Led. Until that stops, I can keep saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun. We go by experience.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So are you saying this new phone will be called the 5sS or the 6S? Neither make sense. The S indicates that it is the same design as the previous year with beefed up specs. Yes, obviously they could release a 6S in the fall of 2015 and give it the same processor as the 6. I just think it's unlikely. I'm going by their track record. The 3GS, 4S and 5s were all faster. The track record is all we have to go by when we are giving people advice.

If you stop beefing up the GPU and CPU, you limit it for the future. For example, graphically intense games won't play as well or at all on old hardware. And it's not just for games. CPU intensive apps need that power. Twitter and Facebook don't need it, but stuff like iMovie does. Apple will continue to increase it even though you may not see much of a speed difference with certain types of usage. Each new OS needs more CPU power. This is why iOS 7 runs so slowly on the iPhone 4.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I was referring to speed only. I did say that "Power" would be an issue going forward. It just seems to me that there will come a point where it just can't go any faster. I didn't say we were there yet. But close, maybe. As far as what phone is called what was beside the point. :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I was referring to speed only. I did say that "Power" would be an issue going forward. It just seems to me that there will come a point where it just can't go any faster. I didn't say we were there yet. But close, maybe. As far as what phone is called what was beside the point. :)
I remember running a Cyrix 166 CPU in my PC in the 90s. My DOOM-playing friends said I had the fastest machine in our game network. :D

As software gets more complicated, the need for more power will still be there.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
We are nowhere near a point where it can't get faster.
who really knows for sure. hell maybe it will be called the iPhone gs6;)
The name doesn't really matter. I was just trying to make a point that historically we have seen new designs every other year and the off year models have an S in their name and a faster processor.