Will the iPhone 6 Plus hurt sales of the iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by iP5, Sep 16, 2014.

1. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

#1 iP5, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  2. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i don't think so. i have always been a believer in choice is good. besides one is tablet and the other is a phablet

3. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I own the iPad Mini Retina and I love it. I have also ordered the iPhone 6 Plus. Even the size of the Plus doesn't compare to the larger screens of the iPads. I would still prefer watching movies, videos, and reading books on my iPad Mini compared to the iPhone 6 Plus.

4. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

It did for me. I was tired of lugging around the min & a phone

Sent using iCafe app

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I watched an episode of My Name is Earl on the plane yesterday and it worked fine for me. It might be replacing my iPad 3.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

For a phone and a primary device I prefer the smaller size of the 5s. I'm even having second thoughts about upgrading to the iPhone 6 until I'm "forced" to by obsolescence or peer pressure. ;)

As a secondary device for reading, web browsing, viewing pics and videos, etc, the iPad Mini is high on my wish list. I've had the opportunity to get some hands on time with both the iPad 3 and the Mini and to me the Mini is the sweet spot. If I need a bigger screen than that I've got the MBP.

So, from my point of view, the 6 Plus poses no competition to the Mini, especially at their respective price points. I can see that for some folks the 6 Plus is the perfect all around device and may cannibalize sales of the Mini. Apple has shown that they're not concerned with such cannibalization among their products, and as stated, the more choices and niches filled the better.

7. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I was really considering the Plus with the idea that I might not carry around my iPad Air as much. Probably cancel the cellular data on it as well. I believe that the unavailability of the Plus was just Karma telling me how silly I was.

8. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I have an iPhone 6+ and just listed my 6-month old iPad Mini Retina 32GB AT&T on Craigslist for $425. I'm thinking that it will probably be worth less after this coming Thursday's probable iPad upgrades announcement. Ever since I got my 6+, I have not found the need to use my iPad Mini. I do still have an iPad Air and am thinking of selling it and upgrading to the newest Air assuming it is announced on Thursday.

9. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

I got 475 for mine on EBay right after the 6 was announced same specs as yours....Of course the 455 was b4 eBay got their cutHopefully yours will sell quickly
    Good Luck

Sent using iCafe app

10. JanL

JanL Member
    Bronze

Jhkf ggggg

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

?

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

am seriously looking at the 64gb black mini 2. waiting for a Kijiji sale in the $275-$300 range.

Sent from my OnePlus One

13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Intoxicated?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A kid must have gotten ahold of her phone.

15. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

And I got all excited because someone quoted my post from over three weeks ago... :D

#15 Kadelic, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  16. JanL

JanL Member
    Bronze

I went ahead and traded in my mini for new mini and love it. The print is so much clearer and I use my mini to read books and watch video. I don't like doing either of those on my phone.

17. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

1st generation for 3rd?

Sent from my OnePlus One

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you had a first generation mini, right? That's a good upgrade since that one wasn't retina.

Books and movies are the main things I use my mini for as well. I have a 2013 retina mini and see no reason to upgrade since I don't want gold and Touch ID isn't worth the cost of upgrading. I would have upgraded if they had given it a better processor, more RAM and better cameras like they did with the new iPad Air.

19. JanL

JanL Member
    Bronze

Yes it was 1st gen mini. They gave me $210 at best buy.

20. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

Since I got my 6+ I've stopped using my retina iPad mini and handed it down to my wife, and my son got her mini. Love my 6+