will the iPhone be able to use a SIM card?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Yes the iPhone will use a SIM card. The pick below showing the top and bottom of the iPhone is from Steve's keynote. It indicates that the SIM tray will be near the top of the phone though I have not seen any pictures showing it.

^^^does anyone know about this?

if so, where would it even be placed on the phone? since theres not a removable battery....

Last edited by a moderator:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yes the iPhone will use a SIM card. The pick below showing the top and bottom of the iPhone is from Steve's keynote. It indicates that the SIM tray will be near the top of the phone though I have not seen any pictures showing it.

oooohh, i thought that little thing on the bottom end was the SIM cover?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Below is a pic I pieced together from the keynote. I'm not sure the prototype shown has the same case configuration as the final version of the iPhone will have. It doesn't appear to have a SIM slot. Maybe another member will have some insight.

oooohh, i thought that little thing on the bottom end was the SIM cover?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Below is a pic I pieced together from the keynote. I'm not sure the prototype shown has the same case configuration as the final version of the iPhone will have. It doesn't appear to have a SIM slot. Maybe another member will have some insight.

I'm pretty sure I read that's what that little dark section on the bottom is. Just a cover to access the SIM slot.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I'm pretty sure I read that's what that little dark section on the bottom is. Just a cover to access the SIM slot.
That could be, but in the keynote Steve said "So let’s take a look at the top now. We’ve got a headset jack. 3.5 millimeter all your iPod headphones fit right in. We’ve got a place, a little tray for your SIM card, and we’ve got one switch for sleep and wake. Push it to go to sleep, push it to wake up."

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
That could be, but in the keynote Steve said "So let’s take a look at the top now. We’ve got a headset jack. 3.5 millimeter all your iPod headphones fit right in. We’ve got a place, a little tray for your SIM card, and we’ve got one switch for sleep and wake. Push it to go to sleep, push it to wake up."

Oh yeah, that's right. I guess it'll be kinda like the Treo's.
Don't they have a small "tray" for a memory card or something, at the top. I can't remember...

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I wouldn't imagine you'd have to remove anything for it to fit in the dock....just a guess... seems kinda inconvenient. :p
The removable door is on the back where I thought the SIM card goes. The dock connector, I thought, is at the bottom. The bottom port looks either open or fitted with a spring-loaded cover.

-K