Will the iPhone be on other carriers in the US?

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I thought that AT&T had a 5 year contract with Apple, so only AT&T could have the iPhone for the next 5 years. Is this correct?
My friend said he was at the Verizon store yesterday and they told him that Verizon and a few other carriers in the United States would be getting the iPhone within the next year. I told him this was a lie, but he says I'm wrong. So what's the deal?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
ATT has a 5 year deal with the iPhone. I do not think anything can change that unless Apple wants to dig deep (not too deep for them) in their pockets and try to change that agreement.
I would say your friend got some bogus information from Verizon.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It seems like an eternity, but we're only 1 year into this AT&T exclusivity deal. I think you'll eventually see the iPhone on other carriers, but I'd say it's a less than 20% chance it's before the contract's conclusion. I say 20 percent, because I wouldn't be surprised if Apple found some way to get around the deal. The deal itself was legendary, considering how wireless providers usually have the upper hand.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I say 20 percent, because I wouldn't be surprised if Apple found some way to get around the deal. The deal itself was legendary, considering how wireless providers usually have the upper hand.
I agree. You have to hand it to Apple to pull this off. On the other hand, ATT knew a profitable deal when they saw this.
I'm sure Apple has the best of the best in a law staff. If they would ever like to expand carriers before the 5 years is up they could pull if off if anyone could.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
actually the contract stipulated that Apple wouldn't release a CDMA version of the iPhone for the first five years. This doesn't mean that we won't see it for another GsM carrier like T-Mobile before the five years is up.

I think the Verizon guy was just doing some wishful thinking.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Im pretty sure it stipulated that the phone would be soley sold through att. Thats why you cant buy the phone anywhere but true att stores and Apple.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Signing an exclusivity contract was bad for Apple. It means that Apple had to give in to ATT.

And if it really is for five years, it will go down in history as one of the worst mistakes ever made.

Not only does it not allow Apple access to 2/3 of the USA market, but it gives a lot of time for other manufacturers to fill that market with alternative phones.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Im pretty sure it stipulated that the phone would be soley sold through att. Thats why you cant buy the phone anywhere but true att stores and Apple.
Not really. The contract stipulated no CDMA which keeps Verizon, Sprint and Alltel out of the mix for five years. I think AT&T was more concerned with Verizon than they were with T-Mobile.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
It might sound rude, but the iPhone just seems right on the AT&T. Although it would improve T-mobiles phone selection cause all they have is the failing sidekick, their blackberries, and their declining HTC devices :(

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well as of now, its under contract with AT&T. People have been unlocking it and using it with different networks, but you cant do that with Verizon as they are still CDMA if im not mistaken. So Verizon wont be seeing the iPhone until this contract with AT&T ends.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Not really. The contract stipulated no CDMA ...
No one knows what the contract says.

No one even knows how long the exclusivity is for. There were a couple of news articles back when the iPhone was first shown off. One saying two years, the other five years. Everyone started repeating the five years.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Signing an exclusivity contract was bad for Apple. It means that Apple had to give in to ATT.

And if it really is for five years, it will go down in history as one of the worst mistakes ever made.

Not only does it not allow Apple access to 2/3 of the USA market, but it gives a lot of time for other manufacturers to fill that market with alternative phones.
Well for one thing, having the phone on one carrier has it benefits. Apple truly has control over their product and they are taking tremendous profits not only from iPhone sales, but also from the contracts (which they cut a profit as well). If i remember correctly, they talked to verizon and they weren't willing to give up the control that Apple desired and thereforee, it wouldn't have been worth it for Apple to allow their phone on multiple providers. They got their demands by being exclusive with ATT and they are making a crap load of money.

As for alternative phones entering the market. Its been said before and i'm just reiterating. Thats a good thing. With other phones threatening iPhone sales, there will be a threat for Apple to improve their product (which is good for us consumers).

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I would have got an i phone instead of the touch, but I have a Verizon contract and I would rather wait until it is unlocked through Apple.