Will the iPhone ever move to Verizon?

RadME123

Jun 25, 2009
I'm wondering if the iPhone will ever move to Verizon?

I currently have Verizon and am desperate for an iPhone!

i want predictions/guesses/any info. on the topic please comment on this.

Also, does anyone know a way for me to get conformation from Apple or Verizon on the topic?

Thanks!

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I believe AT&T exclusive deal with Apple is supposed to end after 2010 if they don't reup the deal. So don't expect anything for probably another year and a half at the earliest

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I heard they were trying to extend their exclusivity deal with AT&T until 2011 which would probably be where they would end it if they do end it. Other than a few hiccups with the AT&T network and with the mms and tethering mess I think Apple is happy with their decision. They always had the commercials saying they were made for each other so that is why I think it is going to last long. And IF they are going to start to share the iPhone with verizon I think it will be in 2011 when their 4G network is close to being complete. Apple is all about the worldwide phone and making one phone that can be shipped around the world with no need to make changes other than the langauge. Verizons 4G network will be GSM which is worldwide, their current CDMA network is only used here in America so it isn't an industry standard and won't be adopted by Apple ever. And if they ever do offer an AT&T and Verizon iPhone those will be the only 2 carriers to get it since Sprint is going WiMax for 4G and T-Mobile uses odd frequencies. Oh and the FCC is looking into whether exclusivity deals are good for the consumer, so that might be the end of the iPhone only being on AT&T.

And until Apple get's on the stage and says they are going to start to offer a Verizon iPhone too, I know neither will give confirmation. Unless something gets leaked out of course ;)

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
The best would be to port your Verizon number to A T & T and get what you want.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
There will be no Verizon version until they roll out there LTE network which is GSM technology not CDMA.

Its really not to feasible for Apple to create a CDMA version right now since its a dying technology. 80% of the world is on GSM, and Verizon will be moving that way with LTE late in 2010 to beginning of 2011, so at the earliest you may see a Verizon version late next year.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I thought Apple hada CDMA version outside of USA.. (China)

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Well, it has finally happened, a CDMA only carrier will finally get the iPhone. TELUS in Canada will get the honor of being the first CDMA-only carrier to be picking up the iPhone. The news does come with a bit of a catch; it appears from what our sources tell us, you will have to wait till October to get an iPhone from TELUS.
Of course take this with a grain of salt. Here is the source:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14401/1/ OR
http://communities.canada.com/vanco...09/06/25/of-course-telus-will-get-iphone.aspx

I suppose one could go to Canada when it is released, buy the phone, hope that a jailbreak is released by then (October) and see if you can plop it on the Verizon network. I am somewhat ignorant to the who jailbreak thing, but from what I think I understand it is something that can be done if the hardware supports it. I might also be reading this a tad wrong in that the Canada provider will have to tweak their system to have the phone work and they will not really be CDMA anymore.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Excellent thread and some very good replies. I too have Verizon and would like to see Apple and Verizon strike up a deal but by the looks of things it doesn't look like it's going to happen for a long, long time.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
These threads are basically pointless, no offense. Some educated responses have been given, but let me tell you ever since JANUARY 2007, there have been just endless threads about Verizon getting the iPhone. And many times, people make smart comments and everyone gets excited. But they've always turned out to be false.

Let me just say this. Yes, I do believe Verizon will eventually get the iPhone. When they do, I will definitely switch over to them. As far as when, everything you read is just a guess.

Jun 27, 2009
Let me just say this. Yes, I do believe Verizon will eventually get the iPhone. When they do, I will definitely switch over to them.
And if Verizon does not have the iPhone by the time by contract expires in a few months, I will be leaving them for AT&T.

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
And if Verizon does not have the iPhone by the time by contract expires in a few months, I will be leaving them for AT&T.
Well better get ready to leave them since AT&T has the contract with Apple till 2010 which is like 5 months from now.

Verizon has a working CDMA iPhone on their network. I know this. Course no one will believe me but I don't care. This time next year, Verizon WILL have the iPhone.

If I wasn't sure of this I would've left Verizon a long time ago.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
How do you know? And no verizon will never get a CDMA iPhone, 4G GSM yes, but never a CDMA iPhone.

Either way I will stay with the AT&T iPhones because I hate verizon wireless service and almost everything about them. In my area AT&T is far superior to verizons service.

And AT&T is already in talks to extend the exclusivity till 2011, so don't get your hopes up.

dwella

Apr 5, 2009
Well better get ready to leave them since AT&T has the contract with Apple till 2010 which is like 5 months from now.

Verizon has a working CDMA iPhone on their network. I know this. Course no one will believe me but I don't care. This time next year, Verizon WILL have the iPhone.

Your right I don't believe you. When they refine their GSM network than maybe a year after that. At any rate probably at least 2 years and maybe this thread has never appeared on this board but it sure has on every other iPhone.ATT, Verizon board out there many mnay times. Also no offense to anyone but its quite boring by now.

d

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008

Well I won't completely call BS on this. The rumors of Apple having OS X on intel boxes internally for years before it was released turned out to be true.

But I would ask the most basic question: On what do you base the claim?