Will the iPhone work with Microsoft?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Hi and welcome to EI :).

The iPhone's operating system is OS X (the same OS found on Macs). Most people consider this to be huge advantage over existing phones since OS X is so feature rich. It also means that the applications released will potentially be much more powerful and easy to use than what is currently available.

This does not mean that it will only work/sync with a Mac. Just like an iPod, the iPhone will be able to work/sync with the Windows version of iTunes.

phone19

Apr 1, 2007
Will the iPhone be sold with the attachment to upload songs to the iPhone? Because I have an iPod now, and obviously, it was sold with the wire that uploads the songs for iTunes to the iPod, but will they give us a new one? If not can we use the old one?
Speaking of iPods, will they offer some sort of discount to those who already have the iPod? Like a trade-in discount? That would be sensible since I could now use the iPhone as my iPod, and there would be no need for my iPod anymore! Why use two separate items for the same use? Especially when the one item costs $500?;)

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Will the iPhone be sold with the attachment to upload songs to the iPhone? Because I have an iPod now, and obviously, it was sold with the wire that uploads the songs for iTunes to the iPod, but will they give us a new one? If not can we use the old one?
Speaking of iPods, will they offer some sort of discount to those who already have the iPod? Like a trade-in discount? That would be sensible since I could now use the iPhone as my iPod, and there would be no need for my iPod anymore! Why use two separate items for the same use? Especially when the one item costs $500?;)
I am sure the iPhone will include a USB cable to connect it to your PC. I would imagine a lot of people who purchase an iPhone will not own an iPod too. The cable will probably be the same as the one supplied with current iPods since the iPhone uses the same connector.

I doubt there will be a discount for current iPod owners. If you don't think you will need your iPod after your get your iPhone, I recommend selling it on eBay. I plan on keeping my Nano for times when I need the extra battery life (like long trips).

phone19

Apr 1, 2007
I am sure the iPhone will include a USB cable to connect it to your PC. I would imagine a lot of people who purchase an iPhone will not own an iPod too. The cable will probably be the same as the one supplied with current iPods since the iPhone uses the same connector.

I doubt there will be a discount for current iPod owners. If you don't think you will need your iPod after your get your iPhone, I recommend selling it on eBay. I plan on keeping my Nano for times when I need the extra battery life (like long trips).
FAST REPLIES! THATS WHAT I LIKE:laugh2:
Ya, you are right, and the thought has crossed my mind. But I received the iPod as a gift , and by following the eBay road, I would face a little guilt ;/
but anyways, thanks again on the advice!

netshadow

Bronze
Apr 21, 2007
Upstate NY
How about sync with iCal or Palm Desktop?

I am a Mac user at home, but at work, alas, PC still rules. I wonder of the iPhone willb e able to synce with the palm destop or will Apple provide a version of iCal for windows that would include all of the options: contacts, notes, etc.? Any ideas?

rtaylor07

Apr 22, 2007
sync

I'm sure the iPhone will work with both mac and pc users with ease because of iTunes. It'll work just like normal iTunes with the added bonus feature of editing your address book on the computer. Well I hope you can do that :) lol

May 3, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb here. It's pretty obvious that it will work with MS, but as with the ipod I'm sure it will be a lot more compatible and have a few extra perks when you use it with a mac.

It's a shame more people don't have Macs anyways. I'm a computer tech in the Marine Corps and I've worked with PC's all my life. I could never go back to them for personal use. I very seldom repeat the same nightmares with my macbook, that I always had with my plethora of PCs.

May 6, 2007
United States
Hehe

Somebody not owning an iPod? *gasps* :laugh2:

The iPhone will most likely be compatible with windows, as many iTunes owners are running it on a PC. There is no question that the iPhone will include some kind of connector to get the songs onto the phone. I am just wondering if there is going to be a cable to directly move data from your iPod to your iPhone, it might be a cool deal.

We shall have to wait and see. Now it's just a question of how long we have to wait :D

EDIT: And yeah, how exactly will we get out contacts from our current phone to the iPhone? I know there is a way that Cingular can put the contacts onto a SIM card, but that might be a bit tedious. I doubt that Apple will release a connector to move contacts though, as there are many different types of connectors on various phones.

edlaue

May 9, 2007
palm

Hi and welcome to EI :).

The iPhone's operating system is OS X (the same OS found on Macs). Most people consider this to be huge advantage over existing phones since OS X is so feature rich. It also means that the applications released will potentially be much more powerful and easy to use than what is currently available.

This does not mean that it will only work/sync with a Mac. Just like an iPod, the iPhone will be able to work/sync with the Windows version of iTunes.

Will it sync with Palm products?

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
you could always do it manually......:p
*shudder* That would take forever..
A lot longer for some than others..

Hopefully I'll just be able to use the same SIM card. If not maybe xfer the contacts through iTunes to my PC, then back to the new SIM card.

Edit: My grammar sucks.

jimjoe45

May 21, 2007
Actually with the touch screen I bet entering contacts manually wouldn't be quiet as difficult as a normal phone. Difficult but not quiet as difficult

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I read it will be compatible with Windows xp, but it didn't say Vista. Does anyone know?
For awhile there were problems running iTunes with Vista. I read that MS released a patch to fix the issues. Since I don't run/trust Vista on any of my PCs I can't tell you for sure. If I were you, I would download the latest version of iTunes. If it runs on your machine, the iPhone should work fine with your setup.

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
For awhile there were problems running iTunes with Vista. I read that MS released a patch to fix the issues. Since I don't run/trust Vista on any of my PCs I can't tell you for sure. If I were you, I would download the latest version of iTunes. If it runs on your machine, the iPhone should work fine with your setup.

My iTunes works fine with Vista, I've not had problems yet :)

gs_neo

Jun 11, 2007
Southwest MO
Yes, there are people in the world still without an iPod. I'm one of them. I'm sure that compatibility issues with different OS will be worked out. What about transfering mp3 files? Is that something that is possible with iPods? Do I absolutely have to use iTunes?

May 31, 2007
I was also wondering if the connector would be the same...of course with wifi it will probably be able to create a highspeed connection directly with the wireless card in my computer. Now I'm wondering if it will be able to connect and sync with my computer when its on the same wireless network...or even cooler will it be able to connect to my computer any time it and my computer have an internet connection...the possibilities are endlessly cool