Will the new plastic black not scratch more?

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Guys, I have always worn a case over my iPhone so I don't know how well the iPhone 1 scratches or not....will this new black plastic be more scratch resistant or less? My guess would be less because it's plastic but knowing Apple, it'll be more..

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't see how plastic can be more scratch resistant than aluminum.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah me either. Maybe if it is the flat black plastic like the front of the iPod Classics are made of, but it's obviously not on the iPhone 3G.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
i don't see how plastic can be more scratch resistant than aluminum.
I agree, i think thinks its going to scratch a lot more.
Is it the same material as the macbooks?
If so then those scratch a lot.

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
As I mentioned in another thread, if it should become all scratched up just apply an aftermarket skin to it and cover it up. Or cover it with a clear skin and replace the clear skins once they become scratched up. Just a thought

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I have very little scratches on my 2 yo BlackBook.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I hope its the complete opposite of the MacBooks! My white macbook picks up scratches like there's no tomorrow.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
I hope its the complete opposite of the MacBooks! My white macbook picks up scratches like there's no tomorrow.
haha, im with you on this one. Im guessing the black one does as well its just not as noticeable.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
haha, im with you on this one. Im guessing the black one does as well its just not as noticeable.
The black MacBook is a flat looking black...it doesn't look like it does get scratched as much but someone a few posts up said their Black MacBook scratches a lot too.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
on a $200 mass-produced phone? I don't think so. It would have been cheaper just to use aluminum again.

what makes it worse is the curvature of the back... the center is going to get beaten to hell.

Of course, because it is plastic, it will be buff-able... of course, that will also make it a shiny back.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
because when you set it down, it's the spot that will ALWAYS be in contact with that surface. Plus, if the back is curved, and you set the phone down hastily, it will probably spin a little, scratching it further.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
on a $200 mass-produced phone? I don't think so. It would have been cheaper just to use aluminum again.
Why? How costly is it?

Apparently it is shiny black so I really have no clue until I start using it. :laugh2:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
because when you set it down, it's the spot that will ALWAYS be in contact with that surface. Plus, if the back is curved, and you set the phone down hastily, it will probably spin a little, scratching it further.
I don't think itll spin. In the Mobile Me guided tour, the guy had the new iPhone and he set it down many times. It stayed still and didn't budge at all. It stayed still just like iPhone V1

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
to be honest, i'm not sure, but the whole point of using a plastic back HAS to be to lessen the production cost, so i don't see Apple taking an extra step to protect it.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
to be honest, i'm not sure, but the whole point of using a plastic back HAS to be to lessen the production cost, so i don't see Apple taking an extra step to protect it.
I think it's to improve signal with those extra radios. Same thing they did with the Titanium "windows" and the move from titanium to aluminum.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yeah, but im sure they wouldn't make a cheap product that no ones going to be happy with.