Will the replacement for my defective 4s at the Apple Store have iOS 5.1/ 5.1.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by TH55, May 16, 2012.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

If so is there any way to revert it back to 5.01?

The reason I'm concerned is because everything I have read about the iOS 5.1 and 5.1.1 updates states that the battery life is now worse. Is this true?

Also, will I probably get a refurb? Is this just as good as new?

Thanks.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. No. This is because it's too late to save the 5.0.1 SHSH.
    2. I'm back on 5.0.1, but the battery life on 5.1 was the same as it is on 5.0.1 for me. Every firmware update since the very first one in 2007 has come with claims of decreased battery life by at least a few people.
    3. Impossible to say, but it's likely.
    4. Yes.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

So it will definitely have 5.1.1 loaded on it?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. It might have 5.0.1 or 5.1. You won't know until you get it. The longer you wait, the more likely it will be that it has 5.1.1 installed. Aside from the ability to run a jailbreak right now, there is no reason to avoid 5.1.1. The new jailbreak will work with 5.1.1, but it won't be available for at least a few weeks.

5. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

What do you mean? 5.1 and 5.1.1 have been almost universally said to have worse battery life.

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Refurbs are great. Thy get looked at and checked better than new phones.

Battery life and it's quality there of is opinion based (at least in my opinion).

You either have a battery (95% of people) or you have a defective battery. That's it.
    The amount of time it took for me to type this response is about the same amount of time the change in battery performance from one iOS to the next.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Like I said, every firmware version in existence has had claims of decreased battery life attached to it. I don't buy into it. The only thing that keeps me on old firmware is the jailbreak.

8. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I see. How do I unjailbreak so they don't know?

Can I save (back up) my jailbreak and it's settings? What about my other settings?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sync and back up and then hit the restore button in iTunes. You can apply the backup to the new phone by connecting to iTunes, right clicking on your phone under devices and selecting restore from backup. You can use PkgBackup (Cydia app) to backup the jailbreak stuff.