Will they add these features to iOS7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by richardya, Jun 26, 2013.

1. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

This is my first Beta. I am wondering if they will add other features in future beta releases. Specifically, the two features I was hoping for were "close all apps" and Cyntact whereby you can see photos on the contact list.

Are those changes too major to be included at this point, based on past betas?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Tough call and one I don't believe anyone but Apple can answer. iOS 7 is such a major departure, that anything is possible. I think any major new features that are added later will be tied to new hardware or something big that perhaps Apple doesn't want to show to their competition. At this point, with the redesign of iOS, I think they have more than enough to market come this fall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

'Close all apps' isn't really necessary. A reboot closes them all (they'll still show up in the task switcher) and iOS manages its resources very well so having them frozen won't contribute to battery drain or decrease performance.

4. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

By that logic why have close apps at all? The task manager is where many people switch between apps. If you are someone who may jump back between two or three main apps all day, but may open 20 for single use, it is often nice just to have two apps open in the task manager rather than 20. A lot of people like this convenience if I remember correctly.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I reboot daily to keep my phone running optimally. It takes less than a minute. Daily is sufficient, IMO.

I just don't think everyone realizes that most of those apps are already completely closed. I wish Apple would show the completely closed ones as subdued like the SwitcherMod tweak does.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Then why does the available memory on my iPad skyrocket back up to 600+ available after I use sbsettings to 'close' all the background apps?

7. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Streaming video does that to me.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Does it run really crappy until you close EVERY app? I look at how it runs, not those numbers. They mean nothing if it's running fine. It manages its own memory pretty well. One reboot per day is more than sufficient and takes less than a minute.

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And a simple swipe & 1 tap with sbsettings removes all the apps in less than a second ;)
    As long as you have the remove background toggle.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I realize it's faster, but I don't think it replaces the need to reboot occasionally. I just prefer that over closing all apps. I can spare 50 seconds a day to do that. ;) And like I said, I think a lot of people needlessly close everything because they think they are all open just because they are in the task switcher.

But at least we'll be able to close three at once and not have to press and hold first to close any on iOS 7.

11. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Why are you using the old "you're holding it wrong" defense? Why should we have to restart our phones to get all the apps to close or freeze or whatever, when implementing a button or gesture would be much easier, much more intuitive, and much less time consuming. Furthermore I don't think everyone that wants to be able to close all their apps quickly thinks that all those apps are running or whatever, I think those people just want to close(meaning dismiss) their apps fast. Personally I would like the ability to close all apps simply so I don't have to swipe through 20 every time to get to one I want, when things get too out of control in the task switcher BAM kill em all and start anew.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Because it isn't an app launcher, it's a multitasking bar. If you've used 20 apps after the one you're looking for, I dare say you're not multitasking, but looking to re-launch the app. That's what the springboard is for - where all your apps are always in the same place, with no need to micromanage which ones show up based on when you open/close them.

So basically you ARE holding it wrong.

Also, in response to another comment... having all your RAM used up is NOT A BAD THING. That means it's being utilized to keep things in memory for quick access. Why have 1GB of RAM if you don't take advantage of it? Believe it or not, unix is better at managing memory than you are.

The real bad sign regarding memory is page ins/outs. I'm not sure if any of the jailbreak tools provide that stat or not. But even if they did, it's not that much of an issue due to iPhones' flash storage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Really it's not an app launcher? seems to me it launches apps... But that's not the point, perhaps i'm too busy multitasking to micro-manage, and when I'm done I just want a way to just dismiss everything at once... You know how I can tell you're just a fanboy, and not somebody who actually gives a crap about usability? There's an easy solution for something and you're totally against it because "I'm holding it wrong" when in actuality going by your description of how I should be using it it would only make sense that there would be an easy way to dismiss everything.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Let's try to discuss reasonably and maturely. Thanks.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I don't follow your logic.

16. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

I followed your logic even further than you it seems. Here's how I see your description: You have workflows, 5 or 6 apps that you're switching in and out of, you know multitasking... and this is the only way to use this feature. So by that logic it would only make sense that you have an option to dismiss all quickly and efficiently when you're done with the workflow so you don't build up 20 apps on this "multitasking bar".

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

No. but never mind.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Reas0n, are you just looking for a more uncluttered multitasking bar?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I really think all Apple needs to do is show the completely closed apps as subdued (like certain jailbreak tweaks do to differentiate them from the frozen ones). I think a lot of people believe those apps are using an appreciable amount of resources that will impact performance and battery life and needlessly closing them. That might stop them from feeling like they need to close them all out multiple times a day. I just don't worry about them.

20. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

No, I always forget to dismiss apps from multitasking thus making it an extensive list of apps I have to swipe through, I rarely use the multitasking as it's supposed to be used. So when 15 or so apps do end up open I don't have to swipe with three fingers multiple times. I want a way to clear the multitask bar completely so that springboard is the only app there, so essentially I can use it more efficiently when I remember to do so. Leave the 3 finger swipe, leave the single swipe, ADD THE ABILITY TO DISMISS ALL.