Will they offer memory upgrade on iPhone

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Some are speculating that Apple will release a 16 gig iPhone at MacWorld in a couple of weeks. After all, there is a 16 gig iPod Touch, so it seems reasonable.
Apple doesn't usually do this (but the iPhone is a different model of businesss for Apple), but do you think they will offer a memory upgrade? If so, what would you pay for an additional 8 gigs of memory? I'd pay $100 USD.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn't expect 3G until Summer, at the earliest. AND, I heard that TOM-TOM is coming out with a GPS attachment for the iPhone in January.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Say they release an iPhone with 16 gigs of memory, and nothing else, software exactly as it is now. I wouldn't get it, at least not now; 8 gigs is plenty of space for me.

Now if they released an iPhone with 16 gigs, 3G, and new software features, yes I would buy it. However, I feel that this would boost the price back up to somewhere around $600.

- John

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I wouldn't pay for a an upgrade that just did the memory, I only have the 4gig right now, I just don't need to faff about browsing through 8gigs of music while I'm walking down the street, and I barely carry more than one video at a time if that.

I'd pay plenty for an iPhone that just had 3G and was totally unlocked, as much as a Nokia smartphone would be. Free-for-all bluetooth and unhindered third-party software then I'd rely on the homebrew scene to release everything else I wanted.

I wouldn't bother hoping for GPS on a mobile phone, it's not all it's cracked up to be due to battery limitations. Best method right now is hooking up to a bluetooth GPS module that can be fitted into a car and powered via the cigarette lighter or something.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm a music freak, and 8 gigs is plenty for me. An external memory slot on a future model would be nice, though.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
8 gigs is fine for me too - I don't think I've ever loaded on more than about 7.5 gigs of stuff and that includes movies and TV shows. I really don't need to carry my entire music collection with me everywhere I go.

8gigs is perfect for me... i sync it everyday anyways because i don't like the same music on my ipod forever... i like listening to new stuff everyday...so i wouldn't upgrade juss for some more space... maybe if it had more stuff besides the extra space then maybe... but im pretty content with the overall phone... for now...

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm a music freak, and 8 gigs is plenty for me. An external memory slot on a future model would be nice, though.
I think that the lack of memory slot is one of those little things Apple did to try and make the iPhone simpler and more user friendly. Every time I put something on my Nokia N93 I get asked whether I want it on my phone or on my memory card. You also have to be aware that cheap memory cards won't perform as well as expensive ones and those people who don't do any research and just buy the cheapest one off eBay would notice a slowdown in the iPod function if it was all on the card, and they'd probably blame the phone.

*edit*
Also they need to sort out the bloody camera. I have a four year old HTC Himalaya that can do videos, and every other phone that costs more than £50 also has a flash and autofocus.