Will This Void Warranty?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I know that replacing the iPhone screen voids the warranty of your phone

But I have some wadding off when I used the wadding version of brasso on my chrome bezel which is stuck at the top of the screen between the bezel and the screen

I have tried to remove it by putting a small pin down there but it won't come out as its kind of deep down there

I was thinking about removing the screws from the bottom of the iPhone then lifting the screen up and wiping away the stuff which is trapped

I don't think that I will need to remove any of the little tab connectors that you need to remove to completly detatch the screen from the phone

Will just removing the screws and lifting up the screen void the warranty ?

bparkerson04

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I don't know for sure on this, but I would say your safest bet is to always lean towards yes on these types of questions. Companies tend to be very picky and very specific when it comes to things voiding your warranty. Typically if you do anything to modify the case or chassis of an electronic item, including removing a screw, 9 times out of 10 will void your warranty if the company finds out about it. Your best bet in this situation in my opinion would be to call Apple and explain the situation to them, and tell them plainly what you would like to do, and ask them point blank whether or not this would void your warranty. You may be in a situation where you're either going to have to live with this brasso stuff in between your screen and the case, or voiding your warranty. That's probably not what you want to hear, but typically this is how it works with most if not all electronics. What exactly were you using brasso for on your phone anyway? I am not an outdoorsman or anything, but I keep my phone in an otterbox. There is not better way to ensure my phone is going to last until the next iPhone releases, than using an otterbox. I don't understand people who don't put a case or screen protector on there phone, and just put it in there pocket. I am not saying this is you by any means...but am instead expressing my thoughts on the way some people treat their phones. Good luck in this man. Who knows, maybe Apple will allow you to switch out for another one.:eek:k:eek:k

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I don't know for sure on this, but I would say your safest bet is to always lean towards yes on these types of questions. Companies tend to be very picky and very specific when it comes to things voiding your warranty. Typically if you do anything to modify the case or chassis of an electronic item, including removing a screw, 9 times out of 10 will void your warranty if the company finds out about it. Your best bet in this situation in my opinion would be to call Apple and explain the situation to them, and tell them plainly what you would like to do, and ask them point blank whether or not this would void your warranty. You may be in a situation where you're either going to have to live with this brasso stuff in between your screen and the case, or voiding your warranty. That's probably not what you want to hear, but typically this is how it works with most if not all electronics. What exactly were you using brasso for on your phone anyway? I am not an outdoorsman or anything, but I keep my phone in an otterbox. There is not better way to ensure my phone is going to last until the next iPhone releases, than using an otterbox. I don't understand people who don't put a case or screen protector on there phone, and just put it in there pocket. I am not saying this is you by any means...but am instead expressing my thoughts on the way some people treat their phones. Good luck in this man. Who knows, maybe Apple will allow you to switch out for another one.:eek:k:eek:k
I was using the brasso to remove some scratches on top of the bezel caused by the incase slider the thing is thought I got the brasso wadding instead of the liquid and taped the screen etc the best I could but some still managed to get in there.
I don't really see how Apple will be able to tell as nothing is removed from the phone I know that inside there is a sticker when fully dissembling the phone that you have to remove in order to get to a screw so mabey that is how they would know but taking two screws out and lifting the screen up I don't see how they could know but im not sure.

I see how replacing the glass on the phone will also void it as the new glass you order does not have the proper numbered tags for the little connectors like it does on the original.

I might just go for it and if anything ever does happen and Apple say the warranty is void because of it I could just say I took it into a Apple store and they done it for me instead of me having to get a replacement

bparkerson04

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
That's chancey but it might work. To each there own. I see what you're saying about the scews though. Have you tried sticking like a piece of paper, or a businesss card, or a crisp 1 dollar bill or something in between? I hate to hear about this man. I feel bad for you...it would drive me nuts to. I wish you the best of luck on this. I'm really curious to see what it looks like because I am not familiar with this wadding you're talking about. Can you post a pic? I wish I could help you more. Post a pic if you can. That might help some people give you some more ideas for solving this issue if we can see it.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I have tried everything but it seems to be stuck in there

Tried a card, a pin, masking tape to try and get it to stick to it and pull it out

Also tried a toothbrush

The only way I see of it coming out is by lifting up the screen then it will easily wipe away

Think I am going to ring Apple tomorrow and ask them if it is going to void the warranty and tell them that there is no other way that I am going to be able to remove the stuff.

Can't get a pic because I don't have a separate camera

This is what the wadding looks like though

Last edited by a moderator:

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I suggest you do not go to Apple and ask. they will tell you yes and send you on your way.

Of course removing the screen will void your warranty. Will Apple ever find out you did if there is something wrong with your phone? No. I have removed my screen a couple of times on two 3G's and was able to exchange both of them with no problem.

Some tips for removing your screen.

1. sites will tell you to use a small flat head screw driver to pry it up after you unscrew it. less damaging method is to use a small suction cup. The suction is strong enough to pull the screen out without damaging anything thing or removing the screen protector.

2. the small ribbon connectors are number 1-3. disconnect them in order. ribbon 1 and 2 pop off but ribbon 3 you need to lift the plastic hinge on top of it. just replace in reverse order.

3. after checking connections a nice and secure, whip of any debris/dust of the rubber seal around screen. insert the top of the screen into the iPhone housing first then push it back into place.

4. check to make sure everything is fine and then screw in the screws.

Removing the screen is fairly easy and painless. Just working up the courage to do it is the hardest part. :) Apple will never know !

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Thanks for the info :)

Going to do it later

Yeah i seen the suction cup method on youtube a wile ago

Didn't fancy putting a screwdriver inbetween there and it slipping and end up damaging the bezel or the screen

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Anytime! That is why we are here, help everyone out.

just makes sure you take your time and when pulling up the screen with the suction cup, do not use to much force (just enough to dislodge the screen) don't want to damage the ribbons.