Will TWO do?

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
well I hear all the chat relating to the new iPhone, will it have this, it won't have that. Well for me I don't care, its version 2 firmware and the app store I am more excited about. I am stock and can't wait to have downloadable apps as well as a few fine tuning issues sorted with SMS etc. Forget iPhone v2, for me firmware 2 will do? Are there others out there of the same mind?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It just depends on how much quicker the downloads are on iPhone version 2. I'll be there when they go on sale and if the demos have MUCH better speeds or some additional features that aren't on version 1, then I'll be picking up a new one.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
well I hear all the chat relating to the new iPhone, will it have this, it won't have that. Well for me I don't care, its version 2 firmware and the app store I am more excited about. I am stock and can't wait to have downloadable apps as well as a few fine tuning issues sorted with SMS etc. Forget iPhone v2, for me firmware 2 will do? Are there others out there of the same mind?
I am pretty much with you on this one. Seems like the V2 firmware and app store have been shoved in the closet on the forum. Everyone wants to talk about the new phone. I am happy with the one I have and certainly will have to take a look see on the new one, but it will have to have a whole lot more then 3G to get my money. Like you, I am looking forward to the apps to make the phone I have better.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Here in Ireland there's 3g in every town/city. I have used it on a previous phone and did all the video call stuff. It really isn't a biggy for me and although most of the people I know have video capabilities on their phones very few use it more than the novilty occasion. GPS would be cool if they do it well though.

Still even these 2 major enhancements wouldn't swing it for me in the short term. Yeah maybe when I upgrade but probably not until then. There's also the not so small issue of price. A lot of people will not be able to just go out and pick one up. Its a major investment for many folks.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'll be getting the 3G iPhone as well as the software, despite Charleston having zero 3G coverage.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
There's also the not so small issue of price. A lot of people will not be able to just go out and pick one up. Its a major investment for many folks.
People also have to realize that 3G is going to mean a higher data plan and if by some chance MMS is included it will probably add to the data plan cost.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
People also have to realize that 3G is going to mean a higher data plan and if by some chance MMS is included it will probably add to the data plan cost.
That's one of the main reasons I'm not interested at all in the new phone. I pay plenty and am satisfied with the speeds I get for that rate.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
I agree, the whole 2.0 software has been pushed aside for 3G. The ONLY reason I'm considering a 3G is for a bigger HD. I'm not sure how big of an update 2.0 is gonna be and I'm one of the last 4 giggers on the planet (i think)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I agree, the whole 2.0 software has been pushed aside for 3G. The ONLY reason I'm considering a 3G is for a bigger HD. I'm not sure how big of an update 2.0 is gonna be and I'm one of the last 4 giggers on the planet (i think)
I'm there with you.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Why do you say that? At&t doesn't currently charge different prices for the data plans of 3G phones.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Why do you say that? At&t doesn't currently charge different prices for the data plans of 3G phones.
When I was shopping for my last phone, I was considering a 3G Blackjack. I was told that the plan would be $40/mo. Edge is the fastest plan they offer for $20/mo.

I'm pretty sure the price will go up.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
John, you and "Swiper" are officially the last two humans on earth to have 4gb iPhones! LOL

If there really is a 32gb version 2 coming out, you won't know what to do with all that space, should you upgrade!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
That's one of the main reasons I'm not interested at all in the new phone. I pay plenty and am satisfied with the speeds I get for that rate.
Same here. Although I hope the 3G doesn't cost too much. I would like to try it. I will be grossly disappointed if the new iPhone is expensive along with a more expensive plan.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
What I should have said is that 3G data plans are higher that the Edge plan.:oops:
My N95 has the MediaNet plan for $15. I get unlimited internet uploads and downloads. (although there may be a 5gb/month soft cap). That phone switches from 3G to EDGE and back all day long. Much the same way the new iPhone will due to AT&T's spotty coverage. My 95 can and does download a crapload of data while on 3G too. I never get charged more, and in fact, AT&T does not have a 3g MediaNet plan and a separate EDGE MediaNet plan. Charging more for iPhone users would be considered prejudice to me. If they increase internet rates for the iPhone, they have to increase it for every other phone capable of 3G. Furthermore, if your phone doesn't stay on 3G all month long, a prorated bill would be a MUST.

I don't believe prices will go up at all. Upgrading to 3G is inevitable for retaining customers. As one with a Business Degree, I can tell you that a 5% increase in customer retention could mean as much as a 75% increase in profitability. In addition, it costs nearly 5 times as much for a company to attain one new customer, as opposed to retaining one. I'll be glad to post my reference for anyone who would like to read up on the fine art of customer matrices, paradigm shifts in businesss, and forecasting profitability.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I asked a question related to your post a while back, and some people to me that, smartphone devices they owner before the iPhone like the HTC 8525, Treo 755, or BlackBerry's in general and said that even though 3G is faster, At&t sold edge/3G data for the same price.:eek:

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
My N95 has the MediaNet plan for $15. I get unlimited internet uploads and downloads. (although there may be a 5gb/month soft cap). That phone switches from 3G to EDGE and back all day long. Much the same way the new iPhone will due to AT&T's spotty coverage. My 95 can and does download a crapload of data while on 3G too. I never get charged more, and in fact, AT&T does not have a 3g MediaNet plan and a separate EDGE MediaNet plan. Charging more for iPhone users would be considered prejudice to me. If they increase internet rates for the iPhone, they have to increase it for every other phone capable of 3G. Furthermore, if your phone doesn't stay on 3G all month long, a prorated bill would be a MUST.

I don't believe prices will go up at all. Upgrading to 3G is inevitable for retaining customers. As one with a Business Degree, I can tell you that a 5% increase in customer retention could mean as much as a 75% increase in profitability. In addition, it costs nearly 5 times as much for a company to attain one new customer, as opposed to retaining one. I'll be glad to post my reference for anyone who would like to read up on the fine art of customer matrices, paradigm shifts in businesss, and forecasting profitability.
I never understood how that worked, could you enlighten me?

Their probably thinking that if you can afford an iPhone you can afford the extra money to use have one:p I remember when the iPhone first came out and people saw the price tag, everyone would be like why would you pay $600 dollars for a "phone"? My only comback would be "why wouldn't you":p

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I looove my v1 phone...very excited to see all the new apps and such this June..I have a sickness tho, I must have the newest gadget from Apple...The only thing that might change my mind would be if the look of the phone changed dramatically as I really like this one. Other than that, I'm selling this bad boy to a friend or on ebay and getting the new one...