Will updating iPhone on 1.0.2 remove unlock?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

boddlum

Nov 4, 2007
hi,
hoping someone can help me i bought my iPhone on e-bay prior to it going on sale in the UK, i am currently on the O2 network, the iPhone is currently on version 1.0.2. When i bought it was unlocked as it still is, however it said that i should not update the software or the iTunes. Is this still the case or is it now safe to update as my sim card is O2. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
If you're going to update it you'll need to do some research and prepare for a bit of a risk you'll brick the phone and have to start all over again. But it appears to be fairly straightforward. Maybe someone you know or someone here would do it for you for a reasonable fee.

Personally I'd want the unlimited data of the iPhone contract - and the package at 35 per month isn't really that uncompetitive, plus you get the very very nice visual voicemail.

I should think there are virginising tools available - you could then update it to 1.1.2 and keep the phone and iTunes up to date. I know this level of conformity is uncomfortable to many people but for me it seems to make perfect sense.

I would want to update the phone, or at least make sure it's patched up to date to cure any vulnerabilities or obvious buggery