Will upgrading to 1.1.1 deactivate my iPhone (see inside for details)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 12, 2007
Ok, I just got my iPhone today used so I am new to this whole scene. I eventually want to unlock my iPhone so I do not want to activate it through AT&T and what not. So heres the deal

The previous owner activated the iPhone when he bought it and then canceled his plan. Thus my iPhone is still activated, just has a sim no longer registered to AT&T in it. I have fully functionality of the phone as a result of this, apart from the obvious EDGE and calling features that will require a good sim.

My question is, if I update the phone to 1.1.1 (currently at 1.0 firmware) will it deactivate my iPhone, requiring me to reactivate whether through ATT or when I unlock. Or will it just simply update to the new firmware and be in the same state as it is now (full functionality - what the cell radio gives you).

Please help me out.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Ok, I just got my iPhone today used so I am new to this whole scene. I eventually want to unlock my iPhone so I do not want to activate it through AT&T and what not. So heres the deal

The previous owner activated the iPhone when he bought it and then canceled his plan. Thus my iPhone is still activated, just has a sim no longer registered to AT&T in it. I have fully functionality of the phone as a result of this, apart from the obvious EDGE and calling features that will require a good sim.

My question is, if I update the phone to 1.1.1 (currently at 1.0 firmware) will it deactivate my iPhone, requiring me to reactivate whether through ATT or when I unlock. Or will it just simply update to the new firmware and be in the same state as it is now (full functionality - what the cell radio gives you).

Please help me out.
You CANNOT UNLOCK your phone if you update to 1.1.1 Use the search feature in the forum, you will see this documented numerous times..M

Oct 12, 2007
You CANNOT UNLOCK your phone if you update to 1.1.1 Use the search feature in the forum, you will see this documented numerous times..M
I don't know if you mean me in my specific case but people with 1.1.1 can unlock now from iPhonesimfree. Its not free but eventually the other teams who do it for free will break it too.

My question though is will my phone lock up to no functionality till its officially activated or will I retain this "iPod Touch like" operation.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Upgrade to 1.0.2 is simple

With 1.0.2 you can just use iNdependence to re-activate with any SIM (don't use iTunes). Several methods exist to unlock 1.0.2 (personally I think iPhoneSIMFree is currently the best as it works for all released iPhone SW but its nopt free, the free methods do not work with all releases and may brick your phone if you upgrade to 1.1.1)
If you go to 1.1.1 (I would not recommend this) there is a reported way to do it (I've not got it to work yet as one of the required files seems to be missing on upgrade) but it requires some knowledge of Unix/Linux and a willingness to hack at system level. An unlocked 1.1.1 upgrade via iPhoneSIMFree maintains the unlock but at this time I have issues with activation (can activate with AT&T SIM successfuly). Note I am having issues with 1.1.1 self repairing (re-locking the read write of the file system)