Will USA bought 5s work in UK?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 7, 2010
A friend is in USA and wants to buy a 5s for use on T-Mobile in UK, with a UK SIM card (GSM, not CDMA)
Would it work?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They need to buy a factory unlocked model. Apple stores don't have them in stock yet. You can get them on Apple.com but it will likely be at least two weeks before they arrive.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked (not sure about the 5S), but it's not compatible with some carriers's LTE networks.

Dec 7, 2010
The 5 wasn't compatible with O2 4G/LTE in UK, but 5S is.
The CDMA will not work in uk, GSM is fine, one of my friends bought a 5s in the states and brought it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 7, 2010
The charger pins will be different, but the USB cable is the same. Most people would already have a charger lying around to use, or use a converter to make the American plug fit a UK socket

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The charger pins will be different, but the USB cable is the same. Most people would already have a charger lying around to use, or use a converter to make the American plug fit a UK socket

My sister is going to Scotland next month. She uses an iPhone 5. Other than turning off cellular and Push for mail, what else? She'll have wifi. She has an adapter for charging.