Will using a screen protector affect fingerprint scanner?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I agree with acosmichippo that we will only fully know when we try.

However, I feel that it won't be a problem with the manually put on screen protectors, but the built in protectors that are included with certain iPhone cases, those may possibly cause a problem. That's where they will hopefully create a updated case to accommodate for the added feature.

Sent using iCafe app

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
Should be interesting to see how the Otterbox/LifeProof case makers adjust to the need to expose the home button....
I know the camera flash is a different size on the 5S but the phone dimensions are the same so I think my speck candyshell should work for now....the front is open and the camera cut out is nice and big. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I have no clue how that will be even possible.

Even with the nuud's method that's only the screen which is glass. This sensor like you said probably can't get wet and I doubt its made watertight around that ring anyway.

The only way is to make the case front seal around the sensor if there is no material transparent enough to cover but then you still have that exposed anyway. Also if the case front is more raised than the sensor it will create problems placing the fingerprint due to the distance.

Now if the sensor can still work through a thin membrane keeping it waterproof then I'm sure they can figure it out easily. But until LP gets a 5S to experiment with and that's gonna hold up R&D and production we won't see a 5S case for a long time

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Not too worried about as I am over entombing my iDevice. :D
I do recall the scanner was "powerful" and that it reads the subdermal layers of your fingertip, so perhaps a thin membrane is not out of the question....

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I'm watching the sept 10th video on Apple TV and it says that fingerprint scanner will still have a tactile button like we are used to.

So I wonder if I can use my LP fre for now until a new case comes out. I just won't use the fingerprint security feature.

Anyone think I would have an issue?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I'm watching the sept 10th video on Apple TV and it says that fingerprint scanner will still have a tactile button like we are used to.

So I wonder if I can use my LP fre for now until a new case comes out. I just won't use the fingerprint security feature.

Anyone think I would have an issue?

The flash probably won't work. The new dual element flash is elongated as
Compared to the single flash.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
The flash probably won't work. The new dual element flash is elongated as
Compared to the single flash.
I could care less about the camera while I'm working. If I know I'm gonna need it ill use another case. But I need to be protected until then

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I use a screen protector with my phone and don't have a problem with the fingerprint scanner. It is hard to keep the screen protector clean I noticed and wipe the screen several times a day.

Xenocube

Apr 18, 2014
Will be fine as long as you buy the right case

I'm using the otterbox preserver right now which has a membrane covering the scanner but still allows you to use the scanner

Apr 12, 2014
Bristol
I have used an otter box in the past and it did leak. Later on I found out that it was a Chinese copy. I bought it through Amazon. I though I was safe but the copies look so like the original that to the untrained eye it is difficult to see the difference. They say, you buy cheap, you buy twice!

Xenocube

Apr 18, 2014
Which do you like better? The Otterbox Preserver or the Lifeproof Fre? I think both work well for waterproofing.
I like both for diff reasons. I like the additional padding inside the otterbox and the slimline feel of the lp especially with the transparent window for the logo at the back