Will using a screen protector affect fingerprint scanner?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Levendi001, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Levendi001

Levendi001 New Member

Will a screen protector affect the reading of your fingerprint using Touch ID? Thoughts all?

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

not unless you put it over the scanner. even then, maybe not. we won't really know until we try.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I agree with acosmichippo that we will only fully know when we try.

However, I feel that it won't be a problem with the manually put on screen protectors, but the built in protectors that are included with certain iPhone cases, those may possibly cause a problem. That's where they will hopefully create a updated case to accommodate for the added feature.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. Screen protectors have a cutout for the home button.

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Should be interesting to see how the Otterbox/LifeProof case makers adjust to the need to expose the home button....

6. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I know the camera flash is a different size on the 5S but the phone dimensions are the same so I think my speck candyshell should work for now....the front is open and the camera cut out is nice and big. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sounds reasonable....
    But I was referring to the waterproof case manufacturer's perceived need to have the new Touch ID home button exposed. Sure that's not waterproof.

8. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I have no clue how that will be even possible.

Even with the nuud's method that's only the screen which is glass. This sensor like you said probably can't get wet and I doubt its made watertight around that ring anyway.

The only way is to make the case front seal around the sensor if there is no material transparent enough to cover but then you still have that exposed anyway. Also if the case front is more raised than the sensor it will create problems placing the fingerprint due to the distance.

Now if the sensor can still work through a thin membrane keeping it waterproof then I'm sure they can figure it out easily. But until LP gets a 5S to experiment with and that's gonna hold up R&D and production we won't see a 5S case for a long time

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Not too worried about as I am over entombing my iDevice. :D
    I do recall the scanner was "powerful" and that it reads the subdermal layers of your fingertip, so perhaps a thin membrane is not out of the question....

10. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I'm watching the sept 10th video on Apple TV and it says that fingerprint scanner will still have a tactile button like we are used to.

So I wonder if I can use my LP fre for now until a new case comes out. I just won't use the fingerprint security feature.

Anyone think I would have an issue?

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

The flash probably won't work. The new dual element flash is elongated as
    Compared to the single flash.

12. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I could care less about the camera while I'm working. If I know I'm gonna need it ill use another case. But I need to be protected until then

13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I use a screen protector with my phone and don't have a problem with the fingerprint scanner. It is hard to keep the screen protector clean I noticed and wipe the screen several times a day.

14. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I have Otterbox Defender case works great now.

15. Xenocube

Xenocube New Member

Will be fine as long as you buy the right case

I'm using the otterbox preserver right now which has a membrane covering the scanner but still allows you to use the scanner

16. Xenocube

Xenocube New Member

I also have the life proof fre for the 5s which allows use of the fingerprint scanner whilst being waterproof

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Which do you like better? The Otterbox Preserver or the Lifeproof Fre? I think both work well for waterproofing.

18. James Redford

James Redford New Member

I have used an otter box in the past and it did leak. Later on I found out that it was a Chinese copy. I bought it through Amazon. I though I was safe but the copies look so like the original that to the untrained eye it is difficult to see the difference. They say, you buy cheap, you buy twice!

19. Xenocube

Xenocube New Member

I like both for diff reasons. I like the additional padding inside the otterbox and the slimline feel of the lp especially with the transparent window for the logo at the back

20. James Redford

James Redford New Member

Anyway, I wouldn't trust any case that says its waterproof. Maybe shower proof yes.