Will work with T-Mobile USA's 3G network (please read and verify)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • The new iPhone has a 3G radio that will function on three frequencies: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz (see here).
  • AT&T only uses the 850 and 1900 frequencies. T-Mobile on the other hand uses the 2100 MHz frequency for downloads and the 1700 MHz frequency for uploads (see here).
  • So, logically speaking, the iPhone 3G can use T-Mobile USA's downlink frequency but not it's uplink. This basically means that you could download using T-Mobile's 3G, but for uploads you would have to use EDGE, which is hardly a big deal.
(This is once 3G becomes available nationwide with T-Mobile, while as of now it is only working in NYC.)

Please refute this logic only if you know what you're talking about.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The device needs the 1700 frequency for T-Mobile's 3G service.
But what I'm saying is, that is only necessary for uploads. Since it has the 2100 frequency, and that's what T-Mobile uses for downloads, won't it at least work for downloads?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The logic seems to be there by what exactly do you "upload"? Is it anything that you need to do on a regular basis? I'm not sure what uploading requires but you might not be able to use the service if you're unable to upload. I could be wrong.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The logic seems to be there by what exactly do you "upload"? Is it anything that you need to do on a regular basis? I'm not sure what uploading requires but you might not be able to use the service if you're unable to upload. I could be wrong.
Yes, sending pictures, emails, buying stuff with your credit card number, anything you send to the Internet is an upload. But uploads are used far less and doesn't need to be fast. EDGE will work fine. It's 3G downloads you really want and I think the iPhone can handle that for T-Mobile USA 3G.

Is there anyone technical enough to really know for sure if this will work?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, sending pictures, emails, buying stuff with your credit card number, anything you send to the Internet is an upload. But uploads are used far less and doesn't need to be fast. EDGE will work fine. It's 3G downloads you really want and I think the iPhone can handle that for T-Mobile USA 3G.

Is there anyone technical enough to really know for sure if this will work?
Well then, as long as you don't have to put in passwords or anything else like that then you would imagine, theoretically at least, that you would be able to use the 3G network but it seems like there will be more to the equation than that.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Guys, even typing in a URL into safari requires upload. And there is constant handshaking going on when downloading anything.

It won't work

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Guys, even typing in a URL into safari requires upload. And there is constant handshaking going on when downloading anything.

It won't work
Wow, I didn't even think of that. You're absolutely correct though, if you want the new iPhone and to use the Data, better get AT&T.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Can't EDGE and 3G run simultaneously? Since 3G uses a completely different network than EDGE?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Can't EDGE and 3G run simultaneously? Since 3G uses a completely different network than EDGE?
no, they run interchangeably. When there is not a strong enough 3g signal, the phone reverts to an EDGE signal.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

It won't work
Yeah, any request up to the server is an "upload." Now couldn't it be like the earlier satellite and I believe earlier cable modems where you used their fast downloads and the upload was handled over dial-up?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i sense some hardware modifications in our future...

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
^Don't know how you plan to accomplish that, but ok...you can't just "install" recognition for another band into a phone.

Unless BOTH the download and upload band are available to the phone, 3G does NOT work.

This was undoubtedly done intentionally to effectively knock out the market for unlocked 3G iPhones in the US, since the only other national GSM network is T Mobile.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
^Don't know how you plan to accomplish that, but ok...you can't just "install" recognition for another band into a phone.

Unless BOTH the download and upload band are available to the phone, 3G does NOT work.

This was undoubtedly done intentionally to effectively knock out the market for unlocked 3G iPhones in the US, since the only other national GSM network is T Mobile.
right... i should have said "attempted" hardware modifications.