Will you be buying one of the new iPhone game controllers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by chris, Nov 20, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Logitech announced pre-orders for their Powershell Controller. It's joined by the MOGO Ace Power which has a November 21st ship date. The Powershell has a D-pad and shoulder buttons. The MOGA Ace Power adds dual analog sticks to that configuration.

Both are a bit pricey at $99. Anyone have plans on picking one up? Any specific games that you're looking forward to playing with a controller.

Based on upon both of these designs, they won't work if Apple comes out with a bigger iPhone next year.

Thoughts?

#1 chris, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Cool concept but I disagree that $99 is pricey when you consider that people drop 179.00+ on ugly aluminum bumper cases that offer minimal protection and kill signal for example.

#2 liberated, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Very few people will spend $179+ on a case. Most people I know think it's absurd to go over $80 - and if they are going to spend that much it will be waterproof and provide some serious protection. I'll admit that I did spend $130 on an aluminum case once, but I did consider it pricey, it certainly didn't degrade the signal and I liked how it looked.

People who have never used these cases love to latch onto the fact that the early-model Element Vapor cases (2010 models) slightly degraded the signal and state as a matter of fact that the 2011 and later cases "killed the signal." I have firsthand experience with them and they had absolutely no impact on the signal strength. I'm pretty sure I've said that numerous times here. If you aren't referring to the Elements, which $179+ aluminum case are you talking about?

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Absurd or not, my point is that $99 is a very reasonable price for a controller that offers extended gaming functionality when compared to overpriced pieces of plastic and aluminum. My opinion is not a judgment on those who choose to pay for a case they may like no matter the price.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I guess I forget to add the added battery life to the equation, although I don't see it as a practical everyday solution. You can't exactly use this as an everyday case.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can make some high quality products out of aluminum and plastic. There is a lot more to consider than the building materials themselves when stating something is overpriced. For example, a lot of people say Macs are overpriced.

$99 sounds reasonable to me as well, but I'm not really into gaming so I can't say for sure if it's a good deal. I just felt compelled to correct aluminum case signal degradation misinformation.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I am not a gamer but I predict this will be wildly popular and see other companies following suit.

#7 liberated, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Signal degradation is a well known issue with aluminum bumpers, well at least it was in the iPhone 4/4s.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vapor-Aluminum-Bumper-iphone-Silver/product-reviews/B0074VW1M8

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have first hand experience here having tested at least six of them. The highest cost aluminum cases were the Elements and these are the ones that got all of the attention back in late 2010 regarding the signal. If you are referring to other cases, they were not in the price range you stated. The 2010 iPhone 4 Element cases caused about one bar of signal degradation. The 2011 and later Element cases had NO impact on the signal. The amount of misinformation spread by people who have never used these cases is astonishing.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I updated my previous post with a link. I'll have to take your word as I never used an element bumper.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, they are reviewing the model that came out in late 2010 for the iPhone 4. It also fit on the 4S since the phone design was the same. Also, I should note that case was only $99 (not $179+) and everyone was eligible for a 10% discount. As I stated, that one did impact the signal. You will find a lot of reviews where people have chimed in and made the assumption that later models continued to cause signal degradation. I no longer use these cases and I have nothing to gain by stating how they actually perform, but I can assure you that this hasn't been a problem with any cases that I purchased from them in 2011 and later. I tested the signal extensively in high and low signal strength areas with and without the case.

Sorry for my part in derailing this thread. I just couldn't let that slide without correcting it.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I take your word, I never used those cases. I wonder what they did to correct it, perhaps they insulated the aluminum from the antenna around the phone. In any event, game controller cases are a good idea for gamers looking to enhance their iPhone.

13. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

I dig it. Can't wait till it come out.

Sent using iCafe app

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

They are out now. $99 and Logitech is shipping. I've haven't used either, but did see a number of people question the quality of the MOGO. If it were me, I'd go with the Logitech.

15. bizzzar

bizzzar New Member

I don't like any of the iPhone controllers that are currently sold. They all are experimental models of the first generation. I suppose something really good will be designed only in a couple of years.

16. aprilandjan

aprilandjan New Member

$99 is not cheap I think. iPhone is really not a good choice to play games that need precise controlling.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You're right, hence the need for a controller ;)

18. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Not this late in the game with the "rumored" screen size change about 10 months away.

19. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I like the Moga over the logitech for being a full console controller. I have not tried any myself but I have read/watched reviews of people who have them of have tried them and say that the Moga feels flimsy without the iPhone inside. But once the phone is placed in the controller it feels sturdy and durable. I must say that both are impressive but I want to wait till either more manufacturers join in and/or more game developers show support. Now for the price. $99 may seem a lot to some but considering that these controllers also double up as a charger for the phone well that's a good deal to me. Considering that battery cases are just as costly and don't provide that much function other then to protect and charge while the controller (not for everyday use as a case) will provide entertainment ;). Another way to think about it when it comes to the price it's still cheaper then say buying a PS Vita or a Nintendo 3ds when at least one would already have some type of iOS device.

20. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I have the MOGA, been using it for a few weeks now with my 5S. A few pain points, and a few forward-looking statements...

The controller is not actually charging my phone when the power is switched on and I'm playing. Maybe holding the battery level steady, if I'm lucky, but in many cases it actually goes down, and the controller stops charging it after about an hour. (In a more technical way to say it, I am pretty sure the charging rate is not a full 1 A, so given that, the iPhone 5S will tend to drain even while drawing power from the controller)

If I let the controller charge the iPhone while idle (i.e. screen off), I'll only get about 30-40% charge. Much less than I would have thought.

Charging the controller itself takes forever and a day. Since I almost never like watching a pot boil, I've never tracked how long it actually takes to charge the controller. Thus, I haven't figured out yet if there's any difference between connecting it to a standard USB port, or to an iPhone or iPad charger with a micro USB cable.

Charging the controller while playing does not seem to work, so if the controller dies mid-game, you can't just plug it in and keep on rocking.

I really wish the controller could just draw the power it needs straight from the iPhone, since it happens to have a hard connection to it. I can charge up the iPhone much faster than the controller, and it would seem since the controller's battery is not removable, once it no longer holds a charge I'd just have a brick on my hands (like certain phones we know of).

This particular controller is of questionable build quality. I am not sure if that's me with a bad unit, or if it's indicative of the production quality of the MOGA controller. The left analog stick is starting to go loose in terms of input. Sometimes when I let go of the stick, my game character continues moving, and I have to nudge the stick back up and release it slowly to stop movement.

I would prefer a controller that had more heft or solidity to it, this one feels like it's about $10 worth of controller and $20 worth of battery. I can understand, being a participant in the MFi program myself, the difficulties and expenses associated with meeting Apple's requirements. Between what they must've needed to cut out to keep a profit, I'd rather keep a decent feeling controller than a battery or a phone charging feature (especially given the above subpar impression of the battery/charging feature in the controller). If it absolutely must have batteries and cannot draw power from the phone, give it at least a removable variety--AAs, even--but above all else just make sure that the controller feels like it's going to last at least as long as the phone - a few years or so. I realize that this controller in all likelihood probably will last that long, but it doesn't give that impression in the hands the way that a game console controller does. I have a few N64 controllers that have withstood the test of time, and I didn't pay this much for them...

Several games weren't expecting analog buttons when they added controller support, so while they may say it works, they have trouble with the MOGA if they didn't program controller support properly. Asphalt 8 doesn't respond at all to the buttons or sticks, it would appear it's looking for digital button presses.

That said, the future looks brighter than this. What it means for iOS games is a whole new spectrum of games that never worked on iOS before. I've never gotten into certain games, like Dungeon Hunter 4, due to the complex control schemes and ending up covering half the screen with my thumbs. Now with the MOGA attached, being able to see the whole screen and have dedicated buttons I can feel and rest my thumbs on and get instant response from, it's like a whole new world of games has been opened up to me. It finally feels widescreen. With a defined standard for what buttons should exist, more games will probably make arrangements for this, and thus be much more accessible.

It just looks a little rocky in the onset; you know the deal, early adopters get to be beta testers, as happened with the iPhone itself. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out shortly and iOS can really start kicking Sony and Nintendo where it hurts the most.

I would hope that wireless versions of these controllers are in the works. Ideally, a controller that can be switched between wired and wireless (wired of course for optimal performance, wireless when you need to pair up to the iPad, non-lightning devices, or don't want to take the phone out of the case, or want to hook something else up to the lightning port). Even more ideally, a controller that can charge itself and the iPhone at the same time while in use, or draw power from the iPhone when no battery is left in the controller. I can't stress enough how stupidly simple and yet powerful a feature it would be, charging both the iPhone and the battery while in use. That was one of my favorite features of the old Mophie Juice Pack for 3G/3GS, and I've missed it ever since.

And last, but not least, here's hoping for a way to output to HDMI some time in the future (real HDMI, not this crap Lightning imitation HDMI). This A7 is seriously so fast I think it could approach the level of previous gen consoles--if not, pretty sure the A8 will.

All of that in a device in my pocket...just blows my mind.