Will you be getting an iPhone?

Will you be getting the new iPhone when it gets released?

• Yes, I will order it as soon as I can.

Votes: 79 67.5%
  • I'll wait to see if the iPhone matches the hype.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Maybe when the price comes down

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • No thanks, I'll keep my current phone.

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
will you be able to spin the phone for text messaging to enlargen the buttons? i'm worried about the size of the them. i like to feel the buttons on my treo. if i keep hitting the wrong buttons on the screen i may get a bit frustrated.
Was wondering the same thing, myself....
:cool:

Mar 3, 2007
Yes i will be getting 1 but i have 1 question what is the
monthly fee for just phone calls(no web,voicemail and no mediamax?)

Thanks

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yes i will be getting 1 but i have 1 question what is the
monthly fee for just phone calls(no web,voicemail and no mediamax?)

Thanks
The smallest plan you can get is 39.99$ / month. That's BARE ESSENTIALS.
450 minutes, voicemail is included, 5000 weekend minutes, unlimited nights, blah, blah.

Of course, this is just in my market. (in Louisiana). It's different pricing in different regions, I think.

Mar 3, 2007
450 minutes, voicemail is included, 5000 weekend minutes, unlimited nights, blah, blah.

Of course, this is just in my market. (in Louisiana). It's different pricing in different regions, I think.
I live in Canada and it does seem quite expensive....:mad:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I live in Canada and it does seem quite expensive....:mad:
Yeah, the iPhone and Cingulars plans are not designed with practicallity in mind. lol

Like we read in some recent articel, Apple designs their hardware more around the experience than the features. Meaning, the UI and the general accessibility of the device are the most important selling points for the phone. These particular points are indeed "revolutionary" in this phone, and thats why it is so expensive. Thats why I will be there on day 1, ready to buy. Because for the few *major* features i plan on using it for (email, SMS, google maps, music) its implementation of these features is unsurpassed by any other device i have seen.

Steve Jobs knows the importance of the "experience" a device like this provides, over the sheer number of trivial features it provides.
It doesn't have to do everything, just do the most important things, and do them better than anything else. Thats what youre paying for when you buy this phone. ;)

Hannes911

Mar 8, 2007
i will

i will definatly be getting an iPhone i need a new phone any way, and it's definatly worth the price! it's a long time to wait in europe though.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis

Nothing has been said about the plans for the iPhone. Yet another example of people coming up with their own info.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Nothing has been said about the plans for the iPhone. Yet another example of people coming up with their own info.
He asked a question about Cingular's rates, not "special rates" just for the iPhone.

Mar 8, 2007
I would love to get one of these, but there are two major hurdles:
1) Price.
2) Its GSM. I don't want to give up my service with Verizon, which is awesome. But Verizon is CDMA based. All my family and most of my friends are on there, so I'm saving a bundle with the free calling.

So if Apple lowers the price and comes out with a CDMA version, I'm all over it.:)

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
So if Apple lowers the price and comes out with a CDMA version, I'm all over it.:)
For better or worse, don't hold your breath for a CDMA iPhone; Apple has a multi-year exclusivity contract with AT&T/Cingular.

-K

Mar 10, 2007
Looking for a Cingular phone...and iPhone is offered with Cingular plan...
So.. keeping aside the price issue...I guess I can opt for it...

just checking..

jdyson209

Mar 10, 2007
Me too

Ill be the first to own one in my town too. Ive never owned and Ipod (Been waiting for somthing like this to come along) and my two year contract it up so im itchin for a new phone. So Im more the willing to spend $600.00.

Don't think so

I'm sorry, but the iPhone is just way overpriced considering the flaws that it already has built into it. If the price comes down, or they fix things when it comes out I might be interested. Right now I'm thinking the Meizu is better, and at a better price. Apple is completely brainwashing people because there are several issues that people have with the iPhone that are completely overlooked...I have to hand it to Apple for stellar marketing. It's what's on the inside that counts...hahah I just sounded like the average american.

Last edited by a moderator:

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I'm sorry, but the iPhone is just way overpriced considering the flaws that it already has built into it. If the price comes down, or they fix things when it comes out I might be interested. Right now I'm thinking the Meizu is better, and at a better price. Apple is completely brainwashing people because there are several issues that people have with the iPhone that are completely overlooked...I have to hand it to Apple for stellar marketing. It's what's on the inside that counts...hahah I just sounded like the average american.
Out of curiosity, what flaws are your refering to? With the amount of speculation that has gone on in regards to the iPhone, I find it hard to believe that any issues have been "completely overlooked".

As for the Meizu, so little is known about it that it is hard to form an opinion.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm thinking if I have to decide between Apple and the company that's making the Meizu, I'm gonna go with Apple.

There's simply too many iPod and Mac users out there for me to think Apple will drop the ball here.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Without getting into the validity of "flaws" in a product that doesn't even exist in the market yet, let's do a price comparison:
  • Apple iPhone 8GB = $599
  • Meizu MiniOne 8GB = $400 + $1600 (roundtrip flight from the Carolinas to mainland China to buy one) + $599 (cost of the 8GB iPhone you buy when you realize that, even if you ever do reach a Meizu tech support rep he only speaks Chinese) = $2599

Advantage: Apple.

Please excuse my snide sense of humor. :laugh2:

-K

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Without getting into the validity of "flaws" in a product that doesn't even exist in the market yet, let's do a price comparison:
  • Apple iPhone 8GB = $599
  • Meizu MiniOne 8GB = $400 + $1600 (roundtrip flight from the Carolinas to mainland China to buy one) + $599 (cost of the 8GB iPhone you buy when you realize that, even if you ever do reach a Meizu tech support rep he only speaks Chinese) = $2599
Advantage: Apple.

Please excuse my snide sense of humor. :laugh2:

-K
LOL
There's no "flaws", I think he may have worded that wrong. Maybe "slight shortcomings"?
I dunno, it's still just opinion. The EDGE over 3G thing is about the only thing really negative about the phone, and they have a strong argument in the fact that it does eat a lot of battery life, if not in a great service area. (which don't exist in a lot of places)
Even when it stays on 3G the whole time, it eats a lot of battery life that way, too.

I guess they're not flaws

The Meizu just seems to have better things for my budget as of right now***:

3G
3.3in 720 x 480 touch screen (opposed to 320-by-480)
3MP camera w/ PMP function
ARM 11 processor
30fps strong video recording
Bluetooth and WiFi(I know Apple just announced these, but not before my first post)
Plus the $200 dollar price difference--$400 for 8gb Meizu as opposed to Apple's $600 price point

Kabeyun--
$200 is a big difference for me and I'm not going to go to China to get one. Hahaha thanks for your snide sense of humor!:) Plus, I think I know where you live. Please forgive my sarcastic sense of humor. But I'm just gonna wait for the release in the US, which is most likely next year. The Meizu will also have time in China for problems to be worked out, just as the iPhone will by the time I'm ready to buy.

***So if the iPhone price comes down, becomes more attractive, and any bugs are worked out by then, I will be getting the iPhone because it is cool. That's why I made a pretty avatar.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
The Meizu just seems to have better things for my budget as of right now***:

3G
3.3in 720 x 480 touch screen (opposed to 320-by-480)
3MP camera w/ PMP function
ARM 11 processor
30fps strong video recording
Bluetooth and WiFi(I know Apple just announced these, but not before my first post)
Plus the $200 dollar price difference--$400 for 8gb Meizu as opposed to Apple's $600 price point
Where are you getting your specs for the M8? Everything I have read indicates that WiFi has not been officially announced. Also do you know if it is a tri-band or quad-band phone? Most of the threads I have read on it expect it to be tri-band. If that is the case it is unlikely that it will be sold in the US since it won't work in all parts of the country. If you want this phone, plan on buying it from an importer and not from your cell provider.

FYI, Apple announced WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0 during the keynote in January.