Will you be willing to pay for iOS 7 apps that you previously owned?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There is time and effort involved in creating applications that are iOS 7 compatible. Some apps will essentially end up being complete re-writes or completely new apps. If your favorite app now requires you repurchase, are you willing to pay for iOS 7 apps that you previously owned?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

It really will depend on which app it is and how much I used it. If it is an app that I use daily, then I will be willing to pay for it.

Are you referring to apps that were already a paid app that may be rewritten or be setup as a whole new app due to iOS 7? If this is the case, I'm almost certain many people who already paid for the app before will be upset to have to pay for it again due to the new operating software.

Sent using iCafe app

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with MM79! If it was iCafe, the answer would definitely be Yes!

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely! I use iCafe on a daily basis when I'm on the go to answer people's questions and look at new posts! I enjoy it very much.

Sent using iCafe app

#4 MoneyMaker79, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. miss tara

miss tara Member
    Bronze

Of course!

Sent using iCafe app

6. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

iCafe? Yes.

If there are a bunch of these? That's one of the big reasons keeping me from jumping to Andriod: having to buy a bunch of new apps. If to keep on the iPhone track I need to reinvest in apps, then...

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This occasionally happens in Cydia, but I don't ever recall having to pay for an App Store app after an iOS update. I think there is a lot more that can go wrong with unofficial apps that aren't supported by Apple, so I will sometimes pay for the update if I really want the app. However, I think I'd switch to a different App Store app that didn't charge for new versions if a developer tried to charge me again. I believe that purchases should include updates and supporting charging again for each iOS version might set a precedent making other developers think it's okay to charge annually for an app that wasn't advertised to require an annual subscription.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

As usual I completely agree. This would set a very bad precedence. If it happens now devs will think that they can get away with it in the future iOS releases.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The short answer is No, no for any app.

10. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

Wouldn't want too but if i had too then yes. But if icafe ever becomes paid im deleting my account. :p (Joke)

Sent using iPhone 5 Black 32GB

11. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

If it's a complete re-write with exciting new features and functionality worth paying for then yes, if they keep the same old app and just give it a face-life then no...

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'm sceptical about this as this sort of thing hasn't really happened before. I know app devs have completely re-designed their apps, but they've allowed updates for free.

I've got a few apps which I've paid quite a bit of money for, I really do not want to shell out again to get a compatibility update. Compatibility updates make you feel guilty for upgrading your OS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No. I don't remember paying for apps that were upgraded from iOS 5 to iOS 6. I'm sure as hell not being punished for upgrading to a more current version of iOS.

pitchforks.jpg

#13 Napoleon PhoneApart, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  14. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

There are about 2 or 3 "must have" Apps that I might begrudgingly pay a little addition for. But for the rest, I'm sure I will be able to find a suitable free alternative solution.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Why the question? Is this expected to happen?

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I agree very much so. There are a ton of apps out there, and also alternatives for those must have apps.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

All depends how often I use the app and how much I enjoy it. I get bored fairly quickly with most games so I doubt I would repay for a game. I would repay for some of my daily use apps if other options weren't available.

18. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

#18 chris, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  19. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

only for apps I can't live without. It's one thing for a developer to come out with a new version of their app with more features that is an upgrade to the previous program. It is another for a developer to spend time to keep their app working in a seamless manner with the OS for the device in which they are developing for.

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You're currently supporting developers on 4 platforms, so that's got to help their bottom line.