Will you be willing to pay for iOS 7 apps that you previously owned?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There is time and effort involved in creating applications that are iOS 7 compatible. Some apps will essentially end up being complete re-writes or completely new apps. If your favorite app now requires you repurchase, are you willing to pay for iOS 7 apps that you previously owned?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It really will depend on which app it is and how much I used it. If it is an app that I use daily, then I will be willing to pay for it.

Are you referring to apps that were already a paid app that may be rewritten or be setup as a whole new app due to iOS 7? If this is the case, I'm almost certain many people who already paid for the app before will be upset to have to pay for it again due to the new operating software.

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
There is time and effort involved in creating applications that are iOS 7 compatible. Some apps will essentially end up being complete re-writes or completely new apps. If your favorite app now requires you repurchase, are you willing to pay for iOS 7 apps that you previously owned?
I agree with MM79! If it was iCafe, the answer would definitely be Yes!

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
iCafe? Yes.

If there are a bunch of these? That's one of the big reasons keeping me from jumping to Andriod: having to buy a bunch of new apps. If to keep on the iPhone track I need to reinvest in apps, then...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This occasionally happens in Cydia, but I don't ever recall having to pay for an App Store app after an iOS update. I think there is a lot more that can go wrong with unofficial apps that aren't supported by Apple, so I will sometimes pay for the update if I really want the app. However, I think I'd switch to a different App Store app that didn't charge for new versions if a developer tried to charge me again. I believe that purchases should include updates and supporting charging again for each iOS version might set a precedent making other developers think it's okay to charge annually for an app that wasn't advertised to require an annual subscription.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
This occasionally happens in Cydia, but I don't ever recall having to pay for an App Store app after an iOS update. I think there is a lot more that can go wrong with unofficial apps that aren't supported by Apple, so I will sometimes pay for the update if I really want the app. However, I think I'd switch to a different App Store app that didn't charge for new versions if a developer tried to charge me again. I believe that purchases should include updates and supporting charging again for each iOS version might set a precedence making other developers think it's okay to charge annually for an app that wasn't advertised to require an annual subscription.
As usual I completely agree. This would set a very bad precedence. If it happens now devs will think that they can get away with it in the future iOS releases.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
The short answer is No, no for any app.

Link182kidd

Bronze
Jul 3, 2011
Wouldn't want too but if i had too then yes. But if icafe ever becomes paid im deleting my account. :p (Joke)

Sent using iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm sceptical about this as this sort of thing hasn't really happened before. I know app devs have completely re-designed their apps, but they've allowed updates for free.

I've got a few apps which I've paid quite a bit of money for, I really do not want to shell out again to get a compatibility update. Compatibility updates make you feel guilty for upgrading your OS.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
There are about 2 or 3 "must have" Apps that I might begrudgingly pay a little addition for. But for the rest, I'm sure I will be able to find a suitable free alternative solution.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
There are about 2 or 3 "must have" Apps that I might begrudgingly pay a little addition for. But for the rest, I'm sure I will be able to find a suitable free alternative solution.
I agree very much so. There are a ton of apps out there, and also alternatives for those must have apps.

Sent using iCafe app

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
All depends how often I use the app and how much I enjoy it. I get bored fairly quickly with most games so I doubt I would repay for a game. I would repay for some of my daily use apps if other options weren't available.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
only for apps I can't live without. It's one thing for a developer to come out with a new version of their app with more features that is an upgrade to the previous program. It is another for a developer to spend time to keep their app working in a seamless manner with the OS for the device in which they are developing for.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
only for apps I can't live without. It's one thing for a developer to come out with a new version of their app with more features that is an upgrade to the previous program. It is another for a developer to spend time to keep their app working in a seamless manner with the OS for the device in which they are developing for.
You're currently supporting developers on 4 platforms, so that's got to help their bottom line.