Will you buy iPhone II ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Let's say Apple releases iPhone II this June and it's got 3G and 16GB capacity...but nothing else. Would you pay $600 for one, or stick with your current iPhone? If you'd buy one, would you buy right when it's released or wait a while?

I'm usually the kind of guy that buys every new or updated gadget right when it comes out, but I'm not so sure about this one. Mainly because I don't really need 16GB of music and videos, and I'm not sure I really need 3G. Edge is pretty fast in San Francisco and wireless hot spots are everywhere.

I'm on the fence.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Would buy it right away. Give my present iPhone to my oldest son. He just lost all his contacts on his Treo yesterday and is more than ready to leave Palm behind.

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
Edge is pretty fast in San Francisco and wireless hot spots are everywhere.

I'm on the fence.
Yeah they are everywhere but not all of them can you log in and use them, they are secure.

It would be nice to have a little more disk space, maybe around 32GB.

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
I live in a suburb of charlotte and I was looking at the ATT map a while back but I don't even think my city has 3G. So no. I would wait at least 2 years before upgrading.

Emma Peel

Dec 6, 2007
The big question for me is what is the monthly cost of the 3G over edge?
I understand its currently 60 dollars a month through AT&T. Is it worth 40 more a month?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not sure 3G over EDGE will make a difference. Users of web browsing smartphones lucky enough to still have the $20 media works package have access to the 3G network.

As far as whether or not I would buy the second iteration, I still don't have 3G where I live, so that's not a huge draw. 16Gb would be nice, but not without file management. I'm gonna need some cut/paste luv, too. Flash will also be a deal breaker...

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Definitely I wouldn't pay $600 though, and I don't think it will be priced that high, if it is I will wait for the price drop.

They have 3G in my area and I HATE edge, its horrible here.

C

christopher716

if a new one came out tomorrow id buy it no questions asked i just ebay this one. I bet these will still go for a good price even when the second one comes out so it wouldn't be like you would be dropping 600 again or what not.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I'm also the one that usually buys updates right away, and even though I'm saying no now, I probably will. Not because I need 3g but because it's nice to have almost instant access on the go. The sad thing is that I have barely any self control using it now, and 3g will make it worse for me...

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I would need a lot more than that to upgrade, lots of the stuff we still don't have now that is standard on most phones, then maybe. But I would wait a little too just in case Steve decides to drop the price a couple months after!

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
The big question for me is what is the monthly cost of the 3G over edge?
I understand its currently 60 dollars a month through AT&T. Is it worth 40 more a month?
You make an excellent point! I don't think I'd upgrade if all the iPhone II comes with are 16gigs and 3G. It really has to offer much more than that (and here's hoping that it does because I've already promised to give this v1 to a nephew as soon as the v2 comes out!). EDGE works just great for me and I hope AT&T will not deliberately slow it down just to force users to upgrade to 3G.

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
I'm going for it... same thing I did for the first one....

But I have to get my camping gear ready..... oh we only have three more weeks for WWDC 08......

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
3G would be nice, if battery life and plan price would be the same. But I'm honestly cool with Edge speeds. I'm in wifi zones most of my days anyway. 8 gigs may seem limiting some time in the future, but it's not bothering me anytime soon.

As long as Apple continues to improve and push the original iPhone platform to the limits of its current hardware, I find it hard to imagine a hardware feature that would make me shell out so much more cash so quickly. I'd love to get 3-4 years out of this phone, and I think through software enhancements, it can go the distance.

There is no "killer app" or "killer feature" that can't be implemented on the iPhone, as far as I can think of... again, this is MY opinion of "killer"

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would most likely make the upgrade because I too love having the newest pieces of technology. I wouldn't make it a point to be at ATT or Apple the moment it was released though. I carry a 160GB Classic in my backpack with me when I go to campus so the storage space isn't really an issueso I would just have to make sure the 3G was widely available by then and the battery life wasn't greatly diminished.

LudaMan

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
I'm all about upgrading as soon as possible, but I'm still really happy with my current one, and it's even a 4 gig! I've got two movies and a bunch of music. It would take a lot more than more storage space and 3g to get me to upgrade right away. I usually get tired of my phone a couple months after I buy it, but I'm still happy with my iPhone.