Will you have the patience....... ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Here's an excerpt from Davie Pogues iPhone review. For those of you who are not familiar with Mr. Pogues work, while a fine journalist, Apple has him in their back pocket. He is known to only write glowing reports about Apple products, always quick to write favorably no matter what the actual product performance is like. Never known to reveal any problems or defects. Rarely providing a fair and balanced review.

He is aligned with Steve Jobs like two peas in a pod. This is why he gets the "scoop" and the first review on Apple devices, thereby trumping the other journalists. He's known to be the "Only Journalist" at MacWorld to get a first hand look at the iPod, in a special session with Steve.

This article addresses my biggest concern about the first iPhone, and that's it inability to surf the web with the speed portrayed at MacWorld during the on stage demo. It's these "misleading tactics" that I find so distasteful. To misrepresent the product, get people all excited and revved up only to have them find out AFTER spending hundreds of dollars and more, that it does NOT work as advertised. A pure sham.

As an avid Apple enthusiast I suggest that Apple does not have to drop into the gutter, by misleading people to sell their products.

They are a better company than that. They have a history and a brand name that deserves better. They produce classy looking products. It's a shame that cannot act that way when presenting new technology. They failed using these tactics in the past, when introducing the Newton. Then a second failure when Steve Jobs introduced the Next Computer System. This time they have the snowball effect on their side as they are so incredibly successful with the iPod. It's a shame they are using this momentum in the wrong way.

If only........
If only they would have included 3G the internet experience would be as good as it is on a Blackjack. A device that has been around a long time. Made by Samsung the worlds largest maker of cell phones, "they" did not use the excuse that Apple did. They produced the product and it works. They did not wait, or cut corners, or overcharge for their product which sells for just $74.99 and provides a fast enjoyable internet experience.

Funny.....
Samsung could and did.
Apple could and did NOT.

Will YOU have the Patience To Wait......
for long periods of time while the iPhone loads the "real web" not the mobile web as they advertise on TV.

Will YOU have the Patience to Wait......
while wondering if it's loading, or even connecting for that matter? (note: in the article another "Sacred Apple" could not even get connected to the net.)

Why...... all because Apple gave excuses and got cheap in building the iPhone.

Why no 3G Steve? Why............?

Interesting how the Apple Zea lots have all kinds of excuses, all kinds of places to point the finger, except back at Apple for leaving out one of the most important components that would make the iPhone operate as advertised. Certainly these same people are getting out their flame throwers to attack my post here.

Solution: I can already predict the response of the Apple lemmings, Blame it on AT&T.... yeah that's it. Blame it on AT&T, they are the ones with the SLOW EDGE network.

Facts: AT&T already has the fastest internet connection via 3G.

Just the facts. Nonetheless, why confuse the Apple faithful with FACTS? It's so much easier for them to be negative and defensive. After all it Steve says it's perfect, then it's perfect. If Steve says blah, blah, blah then we say blah, blah, blah. And off we go to drop hundreds of dollars into Steve's wallet because.... well.... after all... while we hate the truth, we are lemmings and very comfy in our denial. Plus now we have a new Target to attack... AT&T, it's all their fault.

Here is an excerpt from the article and the source link:

"Only a few sacred journalists were able to get their hands on an iPhone before the release, including the New York Times' David Pogue. He accompanied his review with a funny clip showing how he got one and how he tried to keep it secret, only to get chased when someone spotted it.

The review raise some expected complaints. Surfing the Web on AT&T's Edge network is sloooooow."

source:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/27/BUGG6QM5DV1.DTL

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I think the whole Edge vs 3g thing has been beaten to the ground already. Would it have been better if it was 3G? Yes of course
Why don't you go and troll on another forum if you don't like it. Everyone on this forum by now knows of the features and limitations of the iPhone.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
If it was 3G, then you would have people complaining in areas where 3G is not prevalent, and there would also be bitching about battery life. AT&T's 3G network is very limited right now.
Don't get me wrong, 3G would be nice, but not on a network that isn't ready for it.
If true, I'm more disappointed with no voice dialing.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
Here's an excerpt from Davie Pogues iPhone review. For those of you who are not familiar with Mr. Pogues work, while a fine journalist, Apple has him in their back pocket. He is known to only write glowing reports about Apple products, always quick to write favorably no matter what the actual product performance is like. Never known to reveal any problems or defects. Rarely providing a fair and balanced review.

He is aligned with Steve Jobs like two peas in a pod. This is why he gets the "scoop" and the first review on Apple devices, thereby trumping the other journalists. He's known to be the "Only Journalist" at MacWorld to get a first hand look at the iPod, in a special session with Steve.

This article addresses my biggest concern about the first iPhone, and that's it inability to surf the web with the speed portrayed at MacWorld during the on stage demo. It's these "misleading tactics" that I find so distasteful. To misrepresent the product, get people all excited and revved up only to have them find out AFTER spending hundreds of dollars and more, that it does NOT work as advertised. A pure sham.

As an avid Apple enthusiast I suggest that Apple does not have to drop into the gutter, by misleading people to sell their products.

They are a better company than that. They have a history and a brand name that deserves better. They produce classy looking products. It's a shame that cannot act that way when presenting new technology. They failed using these tactics in the past, when introducing the Newton. Then a second failure when Steve Jobs introduced the Next Computer System. This time they have the snowball effect on their side as they are so incredibly successful with the iPod. It's a shame they are using this momentum in the wrong way.

If only........
If only they would have included 3G the internet experience would be as good as it is on a Blackjack. A device that has been around a long time. Made by Samsung the worlds largest maker of cell phones, "they" did not use the excuse that Apple did. They produced the product and it works. They did not wait, or cut corners, or overcharge for their product which sells for just $74.99 and provides a fast enjoyable internet experience.

Funny.....
Samsung could and did.
Apple could and did NOT.

Will YOU have the Patience To Wait......
for long periods of time while the iPhone loads the "real web" not the mobile web as they advertise on TV.

Will YOU have the Patience to Wait......
while wondering if it's loading, or even connecting for that matter? (note: in the article another "Sacred Apple" could not even get connected to the net.)

Why...... all because Apple gave excuses and got cheap in building the iPhone.

Why no 3G Steve? Why............?

Interesting how the Apple Zea lots have all kinds of excuses, all kinds of places to point the finger, except back at Apple for leaving out one of the most important components that would make the iPhone operate as advertised. Certainly these same people are getting out their flame throwers to attack my post here.

Solution: I can already predict the response of the Apple lemmings, Blame it on AT&T.... yeah that's it. Blame it on AT&T, they are the ones with the SLOW EDGE network.

Facts: AT&T already has the fastest internet connection via 3G.

Just the facts. Nonetheless, why confuse the Apple faithful with FACTS? It's so much easier for them to be negative and defensive. After all it Steve says it's perfect, then it's perfect. If Steve says blah, blah, blah then we say blah, blah, blah. And off we go to drop hundreds of dollars into Steve's wallet because.... well.... after all... while we hate the truth, we are lemmings and very comfy in our denial. Plus now we have a new Target to attack... AT&T, it's all their fault.

Here is an excerpt from the article and the source link:

"Only a few sacred journalists were able to get their hands on an iPhone before the release, including the New York Times' David Pogue. He accompanied his review with a funny clip showing how he got one and how he tried to keep it secret, only to get chased when someone spotted it.

The review raise some expected complaints. Surfing the Web on AT&T's Edge network is sloooooow."

source:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/27/BUGG6QM5DV1.DTL
You tell'em Steve Dave, no seriously I'm with you man. And not just 3G I mean they support YouTube but no flash or recording. It's an iPod cell phone that doesn't use it's music as ringtones. Not to mention still making us use wires and not streaming our music wirelessly through A2DP Bluetooth Stereo. The list is huge so when you brake it all down and compare, your paying $600 for a touch screen. Big F****** deal.

radbrent

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Just the fact that we can walk down the street and be connected to the world wide web is enough for me.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Thanks for beating the dead horse once more.

Did you know that 3G coverage is not available everywhere yet? In LA, 3G is available in some parts of Downtown LA and most of Hollywood. Everywhere else it's EDGE. Yeah sure, 3G would have been a nice and welcome addition, but it won't do any good if there is no 3G coverage. In some major cities, there is more free wifi coverage than 3G.

3G is a huge battery drain. There is a reason why Samsung includes 2 batteries with their Blackjack. I'll take a wifi-enabled iPhone with good battery life versus a 3G-enabled iPhone with crappy battery life.

AT&T's EDGE network isn't as bad as you're are making out to be. Google Maps and the internet loads at acceptable speeds on my BlackBerry 8800.

Do I prefer 3G over EDGE? Definitely, if all else is equal and if I didn't have to sacrifice any features for it. 3G will be eventually available for the iPhone, maybe as soon as early next year. It should be launched as AT&T rolls out their 3G network to more areas and as chipsets and battery technology improve.

If you don't have patience to wait, the solution is very simple. Don't buy the iPhone in 2 days.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
3G argument has been done to death. No the iPhone isn't perfect but thanks for that striking realization! I think EDGE will be just fine for Google Maps and E-Mail. If you end up not liking the phone before 14 days, return it.

Blah blah blah.. * don't feed the trolls *

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yes, the argument has been beaten to death.
But, as mentioned in the article, Samsung COULD, and DID.
You argue that 3G is not available everywhere. Well, the blackjack just falls back to it's EDGE adapter, if no 3G. I just can't figure out WHY they didn't include this! It's driving me insane! If it were JUST the 3G adapter that was missing, I wouldn't have too many complaints or apprehensions about buying the phone, but it's not just 3G.

It's:
No 3G
No MMS
No MP3 Ringtones
No GPS
No swappable battery. (240 charges...that ain't SH*T)
No video recording? I could do this on my V400.
No expandable memory (not really that big of a deal)
No regular headphones (pretty much forced into using painful earbuds)
No on-screen symbols when typing (.!*$?) That's not full QWERTY.

That is a long list, with some very valid concerns.

Blackjack:
YES 3G
YES MMS
YES Mp3 Ringtones
No GPS
YES Swappable battery
YES Video
YES memory
Dunno about the headphones.
YES on-button symbols. No secondary menu.

So i'm paying 600$ for touch-screen, smooth-moving menus and an 8gig HD.

I dunno, I just hope the phone could be eBayed if I ended up not being able to live with it, or if they never did update some of this stuff with software. Even with updates, only a few of those things could be updated with software alone....the biggest requiring a full hardware overhaul. As far as 3G goes, I say they dropped the ball on that one. I would rather have had the major battery drain and MUCH faster internet available, and be optional, than not at all. That was just dumb, IMO.

In closing, I'm still on the iPhone boat, but it's getting really hard to hold on.....so many negatives, so little positives......

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Unless he was using wi-fi during the demo in which case the product worked just like it was supposed to.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I just can't figure out WHY they didn't include this! It's driving me insane!
Its the battery life. There is a reason the blackjack comes with 2 batteries and an external battery charger (its a black plastic case you put your spare batty in to charge it), and an extended battery door to hold the extra large battery.

G3 is a battery eater. Probably one of the man reasons the did not implement it to the iPhone.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Its the battery life. There is a reason the blackjack comes with 2 batteries and an external battery charger (its a black plastic case you put your spare batty in to charge it), and an extended battery door to hold the extra large battery.

G3 is a battery eater. Probably one of the man reasons the did not implement it to the iPhone.

Yes, but it's OPTIONAL!
Why couldn't they just put it in there and make it OPTIONAL!
They could have even made it disabled by default. Let the tards who don't know how to dig, be happy with their immense battery life, and let the rest of us CRUISE! haha

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yes, but it's OPTIONAL!
Why couldn't they just put it in there and make it OPTIONAL!
They could have even made it disabled by default. Let the tards who don't know how to dig, be happy with their immense battery life, and let the rest of us CRUISE! haha
I think i just figured it out......
3G = WAY more battery charges.
Internal, NON-swappable battery with a "rated" life-span, based on # of times it's fully charged and drained = the longer it lasts, the more convenient.

Therefore, 3G = faster route to having to mail off the handset for battery replacement (which is gonna be a B*TCH when it finally happens)

I think that is the whole story behind it......

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
To answer the original question, YES I have the patience. I don't care if the Blackjack has 3G or not, it is a piece of crap compared to the features on the iPhone...i really don't even have to argue that. The blackjack still uses a shitty mobile web browser which is total crap. I would rather wait twice as long for web sites to load on EDGE than have a text only version of the same website load 2x as fast on a blackjack or any 3g phone.

People are just out there to create a commotion because either they aren't getting one (for the exact reasons I could care less) or they maybe feel envious and want to dissuade people? I don't know but whatever it is doesn't effect any serious believers in the product.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
To answer the original question, YES I have the patience. I don't care if the Blackjack has 3G or not, it is a piece of crap compared to the features on the iPhone...i really don't even have to argue that. The blackjack still uses a shitty mobile web browser which is total crap. I would rather wait twice as long for web sites to load on EDGE than have a text only version of the same website load 2x as fast on a blackjack or any 3g phone.

People are just out there to create a commotion because either they aren't getting one (for the exact reasons I could care less) or they maybe feel envious and want to dissuade people? I don't know but whatever it is doesn't effect any serious believers in the product.

I'm gonna guess that you've never used the Blackjack. 1st of all, it's not a piece of sh*t. It's actually a very nice phone, with a strong feature set. Especially if you take the time to learn how to alter the software built into it.

2nd, it's not a "text only" version of anything. It loads the pages, you just have to scroll around a lot to read them.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Trippal, sounds more and more like you shouldn't be getting an iPhone.
You might be happier waiting for the next gen.