Will you pay full retail price or subsidized for the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Iloveiphones, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

The reason why I ask the question that is posed in the title is AT&T has their new mobile share plans that if you upgrade your phones, the phone plan goes up to $40 a phone instead of $15. Will you fork over the price to AT&T every month, or pay full retail for the iPhone 6?

In case if anyone wants the math, your paying $25 extra every month. for a year, that comes out to $300 more a year. For 2 years, it is $600.

Myself, I will likely be paying full retail for my phone. :(

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Paying full retail is still cheaper than adding $40 a month per upgraded phone. You can still sell your old phone to partially finance the new upgrade.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I took a partial subsidy with the iPhone 5s, so I don't think I'm up for any kind of discount. I think I'll probably pay full price, which concerns me due the likely price increases. I think we're looking at a minimum of $749 unlocked for the smaller of the two new iPhones.

4. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

If I don't have the money, it makes no sense to buy a toy like an iPhone on credit. If I have to finance, I can't afford it. If I like what the 6 offers, it's cash for me.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If I don't have $700+ on hand to pay full price on a 16 gb iPhone 6, it makes no sense for me not to pay $300 on contract for the same phone if I need an upgrade.

6. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

To each their own. There's no such thing as "needing" an upgrade.

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

If you use your iPhone for communication and managing your employees, and doing things mobile, then there is a need to upgrade to help make things better and more efficient.

8. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I use mine for exactly that. In fact, my businesss relies heavily upon iPhones; I have them for each of my two employees, plus another as an office phone. We send each other pictures and photos of inventory, text and call, take payments with the Square, and use various apps. I usually carry my own plus the office one. We use the cameras and various apps. So don't get me wrong, I am the first to agree with the necessity. I'm just saying that as a businesssman I have to be smart in my expenditures.

I have had iPhones since the original and moved to the next one because something happened to the previous. I take advantage of the new features when I upgrade, too. I usually change because I broke the previous one, about every 2 1/2- 3 years. Currently we have two 4s and two 4s's. They do it all, which goes back to not "needing" any upgrade. And they will stay until they become for some reason inoperable. Then I'll buy a used, refurb, or clearance 4 or 4s. That's just smart businesss management.

That said, I am looking forward to the 6. I have had the 4s for getting close to three years. I looked at the 5, but there wasn't enough practical change for me to spend the money. If the 6 answers my main want, which is larger size, I will buy one. But, I'll pay cash, otherwise I won't buy. My 4s still works perfectly; to say I "need" an upgrade is simply not true- I just WANT it. I wasted enough money in my life financing things I told myself I "needed" that were really just toys... like the latest iPhone.

9. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

When the iPhone 5 was first released, I paid full retail in order to avoid the 2 year contract and a month or two later was able to also get the phone unlocked. I will pass that phone on to my Much Better Half when I buy the new iPhone this fall, again for full retail and unlocked and will then sell her current 4S to help subsidize the new phone. Like others here, I have done the math and will end up paying about $700.00 less over two years than with a subsidized phone and that doesn't even count what I might get when I sell the 4S.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I am planning to pay subsidized price. I have two lines on my account, each line fulfills its contract on opposite years, so I can upgrade yearly for a subsidized price, and without relying on AT&T's "Next" ploy, and can either hand the outgoing handset to my mom or sell it to Gazelle.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If I choose to use a smartphone, I do have a need to upgrade from time to time. Phones wear out. Batteries go dead. So if I don't have the $$$ it takes to buy a phone at full price, then I will do so on contract with my carrier, Verizon.

12. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Plus don't you have to trade in the phone everytime so you lose the resell factor or even giving to a family member. I'll pay full retail.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have to return the hardware if you keep it long enough to make all of the installment payments.

14. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Gotcha. To each his own. I will still probably buy it full retail.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree. There's no chance I'll go with a NEXT plan.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I would not go with the payment plans like Verizon's Edge or AT&T's Next. Subsidized on contract, yes.

17. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Are you even able to do that anymore?

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If rumors if the $100 increase are true, the 32 gb 4.7" will run $400 on contract. I can handle that a lot better than $850 or more. That much spent on a phone would be harder to hide from my wife. :D

19. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm on the Edge program so my update should be available by the time the 6 comes out so I won't have to pay anything out of pocket. I'll wait to take full advantage of my upgrade date after paying almost half on the. 5s.

20. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I agree that it could make things more efficient but I wouldn't go so far as saying that you need to have a 6. As far as most businessses are concerned , you should be able to manage your employees and run things using an iPhone 4 or 5. The features already exist in the phone, they are just being "upgraded".

I run the IT side for a small businesss and would not see any reason to upgrade immediately. The 5 suffices just fine for our businesss needs.