Will you Pay To Play what you can get for FREE?

The Persuader

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
Staten Island, New York
So what will you do once the SDK comes out? Will you shell out the dough to buy third party apps on iTunes, or will you continue to use jailbreaking to fulfill all of your gaming needs?

What may also encourage Apple iPhone users to update their iPhone might be the inclusion of Flash.

So what will you do? Pay to Play what you can get for free?

Imo, I'm not giving a penny more.

What do you think?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think you might be seeing a lot fewer free apps once the SDK comes out. Developers who put out decent software deserve to be compensated for their efforts.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I expect everything but the emulators to go official SDK. Besides, the stuff you pay for is traditionally better in terms if support.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think you might be seeing a lot fewer free apps once the SDK comes out. Developers who put out decent software deserve to be compensated for their efforts.
I agree on both counts, especially the second. Many / most of the apps we all like so much on Installer right now are developed by single individuals. If they produce great apps, why deny them a bit of money for their efforts?

There is already evidence that some of them are facing hard choices in terms of continuing to develop their apps - I just saw a blog post the other day by the developer of MobileRSS, which is a good app and one that's been updated fairly often, where the developer is asking for users' opinions - as he is coming to a point where he will either cease development on it, or will look to charge something for it. With this app, or with any other one that I find genuinely useful, my vote would be for charging for the app ...

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My phone is stock. I will pay. I have no problem paying people for their time and effort.

The Persuader

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
Staten Island, New York
I understand the fact that these people work very hard on their apps. I guess once the SDK is released, we will see the positives and the negatives of either jailbreaking or not and see which one outweighs the other.