Will you stop modding?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
"Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed,"

Translation: Apple's restore code won't overwrite and/or work with the unlock code, so here's a friendly warning to be sure to restore first before getting this update.

It's a cleverly disguised way of helping modders out.

"This has nothing to do with proactively disabling a phone that is unlocked or hacked"

Translation: Since unlocking a phone is legal, we're saying our changes are not deliberate.

Now, if hackers can prove that the software changes were unnecessary, except to relock the phone, Apple could find itself on the wrong end of a lawsuit. Which, come to think of it, they might not want to win. Oh gosh, judge, our phones have to stay unlocked?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
"Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed,"

Translation: Apple's restore code won't overwrite and/or work with the unlock code, so here's a friendly warning to be sure to restore first before getting this update.

It's a cleverly disguised way of helping modders out. Fools no one but idiot reporters.

"This has nothing to do with proactively disabling a phone that is unlocked or hacked"

Translation: Since unlocking a phone is legal, we're saying our changes are not deliberate.

Now, if hackers can prove that the software changes were unnecessary, except to relock the phone, Apple could find itself on the wrong end of a lawsuit. Which, come to think of it, they might not want to win. Oh gosh, judge, our phones have to stay unlocked?
thanks for the info...

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Huge difference between unlocking and third party apps

After Apple's warning? It's scaring me into mod retirement.
If you read the article carefuly you will notice that what they are really talking about is unlocking the phone for use with other carriers. Apple has previously expressed a neutral stance towards third party apps.

I believe that there is no chance that Apple would attempt to render iPhones with third party apps unuseable. I do however believe that Apple is contractually obligated to do everything within their power to prevent unlocking.

Also, contrary to popular belief, I believe that just because it is legal for US phone owners to unlock their phones it does not dictate that it is illegal for Apple to try to prevent unlocking. These are two very different things, and the line between them seams to have been blurred by many.

loopy

Sep 25, 2007
So does this mean using the iBrckr and adding things like the NES emulator and such are likely to not be included under the Apple update hammer?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

Not exactly. The warning is primarily about the SIM unlock solutions, which modify the baseband and stay in place after a restore. There is a method to return the baseband to OEM condition, but an iTunes restore is not it.

--
Mike

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Here's the actual Apple text, btw:

"Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed.

"Apple plans to release the next iPhone software update, containing many new features including the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store (www.iTunes.com), later this week.

"Apple strongly discourages users from installing unauthorized unlocking programs on their iPhones. Users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone voilate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty. The permanent inability to use an iPhone due to installing unlocking software is not covered under the iPhone's warranty."

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
With the iPod Touch's latest firmware, I'd expect the iPhone to get that same "unhackable" status so whether you want to mod or not, it won't happen until someone figures out how to jailbreak again.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Not exactly. The warning is primarily about the SIM unlock solutions, which modify the baseband and stay in place after a restore. There is a method to return the baseband to OEM condition, but an iTunes restore is not it.
Thanks! I haven't kept up with all the details of unlocking SIMs.

So is there a posted way to restore the modem firmware?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks! I haven't kept up with all the details of unlocking SIMs.

So is there a posted way to restore the modem firmware?
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/how-to-relock-your-iphone-before-the-firmware-update/

But it doesn't look 100% reliable!

I haven't unlocked my iPhone, mainly because I am already with AT&T and didn't want to mess with the baseband/firmware. I thought about doing it for any international travel, but I don't have anything coming up till next year.

In any event, I would be careful about unlocking with the impending update.

As for modding, at this point, based on the meager updates that appear to be coming from Apple (as opposed to the hundreds of updates provided by 3rd-parties) it's not about stopping modding it's about stopping updates (for me). I for one will not update it it kills 3rd-party apps. If subsequently 3rd-party apps work again I will update at that time. But if Apple kills 3rd-party apps permanently I will be looking at other phones. Even low-end or free phones allow apps to be installed (Java).

Moreover, after testing dozens of native apps for the iPhone, in many cases alpha releases--and in all cases written without the benefit of a true SDK--none have hurt my iPhone. Contrast this to my Treo where apps included with the device crashed it regularly (VersaMail!), in some cases forcing a hard reset. So I ain't buying Apple's "it's for your stability and protection" mantra. Heck, their own apps crash more than the 3rd-party stuff. Rant over... ;)

--
Mike

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/how-to-relock-your-iphone-before-the-firmware-update/

But it doesn't look 100% reliable!

I haven't unlocked my iPhone, mainly because I am already with AT&T and didn't want to mess with the baseband/firmware. I thought about doing it for any international travel, but I don't have anything coming up till next year.

In any event, I would be careful about unlocking with the impending update.

As for modding, at this point, based on the meager updates that appear to be coming from Apple (as opposed to the hundreds of updates provided by 3rd-parties) it's not about stopping modding it's about stopping updates (for me). I for one will not update it it kills 3rd-party apps. If subsequently 3rd-party apps work again I will update at that time. But if Apple kills 3rd-party apps permanently I will be looking at other phones. Even low-end or free phones allow apps to be installed (Java).

Moreover, after testing dozens of native apps for the iPhone, in many cases alpha releases--and in all cases written without the benefit of a true SDK--none have hurt my iPhone. Contrast this to my Treo where apps included with the device crashed it regularly (VersaMail!), in some cases forcing a hard reset. So I ain't buying Apple's "it's for your stability and protection" mantra. Heck, their own apps crash more than the 3rd-party stuff. Rant over... ;)

--
Mike
I've come to expect no-nonsense and intensely practical posts from you Mike/Tinman, though my opinion and 75 cents can get you a cup of coffee from 7-11, I appreciate the knowledge and insight you bring to these forums. :)

I think everyone is confusing "modding" with "unlocking" which are two different things entirely. A simple restore before updating (which I will refuse if the update is not significant in scope and benefit) will allow any modded phone to be returned to it's virginal state.

The advent of third-party apps and developement are a given in this day where the dev communities are connected and cooperative. If Apple chooses to "de-mod" phones with it's software updates, that is certainly their prerogative, but dollars to doughnuts there will always come a workaround within hours of the software update.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I decided about a week ago to stop modding.

I thought that it was pointless and boring. So I restored.

This confirms my decision; no more hacking. Ever. My phone is stock and has been restored without problems since my last mod, so I have no worries. But for those of you have unlocked... Looks like you're screwed.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I decided about a week ago to stop modding.

I thought that it was pointless and boring, and Apple didn't want us doing it anyway. So I restored.

This confirms my decision; no more hacking. Ever. My phone is stock and has been restored without problems since my last mod, so I have no worries. But for those of you have unlocked... Looks like you're screwed.
I have not unlocked my iPhone, but all the people who did have to do is not update. Problem solved. I'm sure they can limp along without the iTunes WiFi store.

"Apple didn't want us doing it anyway." Ugh, that is so wrong on so many levels... As I mentioned in another thread: I thought I was buying into the Apple that rallied against Big Brother, not the Apple that has become Big Brother.

P.S. - Replies that do not differentiate between modding and unlocking might be ignored. :)

--
Mike