Will you upgrade to 3G just for MMS?

Will you upgrade to 3G just for MMS?

• Of course I will

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No, I've waited so long for a hardware update

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I'm not sure, ask me again this summer!

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I don't think I will. I'm waiting for a new version.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
I'm waiting to see what is instore for the 3rd iPhone...

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'm still holding out for a 3rd iPhone. If one doesn't come out anytime soon I'll upgrade but not for mms. I'll do it for the GPS and 3g.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I wonder if they'll even charge extra for MMS
I ask the same question in another thread and got a variety of answers. I think there will be some sort of charge, possibly on a per use basis but I really don't know. Others seem to think that it is included in the txt plan. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I plan on sticking w/my V1 till it no longer works. The only way I would upgrade from my V1 is if there's a new one that has a video recorder other than that my V1 works for me.:)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wonder if they'll even charge extra for MMS
Absolutely. It will be a charge through AT&T. One of the many reasons email is better. But if your friends/family don't have smart phones, at least you'll have the option of sending files that way.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Absolutely. It will be a charge through AT&T. One of the many reasons email is better. But if your friends/family don't have smart phones, at least you'll have the option of sending files that way.
MMS is included with all AT&T messaging plans. I don't see any reason the iPhone would be treated different. if you have a messaging plan there will not be any extra charge for mms.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The freedom to message any way to anyone

Unlimited text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages.

Text messaging

• Private, to-the-point communication
  • Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging

• Share a smile, a cute moment, or that thing you just have to buy
  • Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email address, and send

Instant Messaging

• Chat real-time with IM on your phone
  • Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Learn more

That's AT&T's messaging unlimited plan. same cost as the iPhone unlimited messaging plan. Most likely the only reason the iPhone's is text only is because the iPhone does not support MMS until 3.0 releases. Due to that AT&T has MMS turned off on your account so it can redirect to the viewmymessage server.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I will keep my 2G iPhone until the next hardware revisions come out.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If there's no new hardware unveiled this summer, I will be staying with my V1 until it dies or something is revealed, whichever comes first.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
That's AT&T's messaging unlimited plan. same cost as the iPhone unlimited messaging plan. Most likely the only reason the iPhone's is text only is because the iPhone does not support MMS until 3.0 releases. Due to that AT&T has MMS turned off on your account so it can redirect to the viewmymessage server.
So, am I understanding you to say if you have unlimited txt plan MMS is free otherwise the other txt plans will incur a charge for MMS?

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I'm sure AT&T will find a way to charge extra for MMS for iPhone users. I mean, internet access of 3G is $10 more than Edge. They will slowly drain us of every penny and life we have left...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
So, am I understanding you to say if you have unlimited txt plan MMS is free otherwise the other txt plans will incur a charge for MMS?
no, how it usually works with mms capable phones is the MMS would come out of your message limit. for instance if i have a plan with 500 msg, any combination of MMS and SMS up to 500 is in my plan. That's the way AT&T treats other phones and I'm sure it will follow to the iPhone. They've pretty much since the launch of the 3G treated the iPhone the same as other smartphones with regards to plans.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm sure AT&T will find a way to charge extra for MMS for iPhone users. I mean, internet access of 3G is $10 more than Edge. They will slowly drain us of every penny and life we have left...
the reason the 3G iPhone is more than the EDGE iPhone is the EDGE iPhone was a totally different animal. People were paying full price for the phone AND getting locked into a contract. Since subsidizing the 3G iPhone, AT&T has made the plan the exact same amount as EVERY OTHER smartphone that they offer. It has nothing to do with 3G and EDGE, data costs the same either way, it has to do with AT&T not subsidizing the first one. Data plans are one of the biggest way they make up phone subsidies. Case in point, EDGE only Blackberry's (Curve 8310/8320) and Treo's require a $30 Blackberry or PDA plan. The messaging on these devices costs the same as the iPhone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
no, how it usually works with mms capable phones is the MMS would come out of your message limit. for instance if i have a plan with 500 msg, any combination of MMS and SMS up to 500 is in my plan. That's the way AT&T treats other phones and I'm sure it will follow to the iPhone. They've pretty much since the launch of the 3G treated the iPhone the same as other smartphones with regards to plans.
Got it. From your several post you kept referring to unlimited txt plan(probably because that is what you have), so I though maybe it was just for that. Anyway, that is good news. It is something I won't use much, but nice to know it might be "free".

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What are per-MMS prices over your plan? I know it's up to $.25 for SMS, so it's gotta be like $.40 or more per message off plan?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Got it. From your several post you kept referring to unlimited txt plan(probably because that is what you have), so I though maybe it was just for that. Anyway, that is good news. It is something I won't use much, but nice to know it might be "free".
yeah i was just saying unlimited bc that's what I have. but it would correspond to whatever messaging plan you would be on. sorry for any confusion :D