WiMax?

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Anybody using a WiMax internet provider? Just bought a place outside of town, and we're trying to find a good internet solution. I don't really care for the Huges net satalite service I've got at work. Found a provider that uses WiMax, just don't really know much about it or how quick it really is. There's no DSL or cable available out there, and dial-up will make me shoot myself in the face!

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Bumpity, bump...........

Nobody uses this, or knows of it? Just would like some input if anyone's got some before I sign on a contract for the service.:sick:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I was under the impression that WiMax is being rolled out only in a few select cities in conjunction with Sprint. WiMax is one of several proposed 4G options (the others being Long-Term-Evolution and Ultramobile Broadband). Not sure if the iPhone is compatible with WiMax.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Not sure if the iPhone is compatible with WiMax.

It's not.

WiMax is a competitive/replacement technology for WiFi. It offers higher throughput and more stable connections, but has a substantially different protocol and works on different frequencies.

http://www.wimax.com/

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Yeah, it's not for use directly with the iPhone. Just puts interenet in my house, no other good options for broadband at the new place. But yeah, from my understanding, it works off of cell towers much like a mobile card for a laptop would. Uses a small dish and pipes that new fangeled intro-net into the house via magic!