Win an iPhone 5 from everythingiCafe

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Gave me a good idea for an editorial, so thank you!;)

These are not the giant iPhones you are looking for...
Excellent article! But I have to ask, in making the display taller but -not- wider, as you state, wouldn't the aspect ratio change? Why is the change of size not an issue for apps? Is the resolution expected to remain the same, resulting in decreased DPI? If the display gets taller, and the resolution remains exactly the same, I would think apps would either be distorted (stretched vertically to fill up the taller screen) or, more likely, end up leaving small blank spaces at the top and bottom of the screen, until updated to take advantage of the extra pixels...

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
This is the supposed reason the iPhone screen will not be wider. The green area represents the area you can reach with the average thumb, one handed of course. I found this on the Internet, so it's gotta be true! Lol. whadda ya think chris ?
ImageUploadedByiCafe1344040836.323901.jpg

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Excellent article! But I have to ask, in making the display taller but -not- wider, as you state, wouldn't the aspect ratio change? Why is the change of size not an issue for apps? Is the resolution expected to remain the same, resulting in decreased DPI? If the display gets taller, and the resolution remains exactly the same, I would think apps would either be distorted (stretched vertically to fill up the taller screen) or, more likely, end up leaving small blank spaces at the top and bottom of the screen, until updated to take advantage of the extra pixels...

I've posted this before, but a really informative read. Specifically addresses your question in the "Scaling and Apps" section of article:

http://thenextweb.com/Apple/2012/05/23/the-how-and-why-of-a-4-inch-iphone/

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
How about a PayPal gift/donation of equal value for those of us outside the US? If you like, after proof of purchasing an iTunes gift card?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
How about a PayPal gift/donation of equal value for those of us outside the US? If you like, after proof of purchasing an iTunes gift card?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I like your second point, "after proof of purchasing an iTunes gift card." This ensures that you can't use the funds for shady purchases, i.e., the purchase of an Andr**d, or worse... Bl*ckberry.

Mar 29, 2012
Thanks for the great contest! I'd actually love to win this for my other half. As awesome as I am sure the new iPhone will be, I just purchased a 4S, and hers is a 4. She's due for an upgrade.

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
It has to be bigger to be better for the screen size...I have the Galaxy Note and it is a HUGH phone/tablet but I really like it a lot.

I am hoping Apple lets the swype be used this time around. It is so much easier to text and much faster too!

Johnwolves

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I think it's unfair that us members here in the uk are excluded from having the chance to win this competition!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Dam I just noticed, it's for USA Only !
What if you select the winner for the iPhone?, that could be for some one outside :D

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
This is the supposed reason the iPhone screen will not be wider. The green area represents the area you can reach with the average thumb, one handed of course. I found this on the Internet, so it's gotta be true! Lol. whadda ya think chris ?
View attachment 24265
At first glance before scrolling down further I thought the Samsung device was the new iPhone, lol. Hmm, maybe someone should sue, lol.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I think it's unfair that us members here in the uk are excluded from having the chance to win this competition!

I find it actually unfair what you said.
If it was possible for UK to participate it would be that way.
The UK members we love just as much as anybody from anywhere!
There are rules and complications who may prevent him from doing so.

Johnwolves

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I find it actually unfair what you said.
If it was possible for UK to participate it would be that way.
The UK members we love just as much as anybody from anywhere!
There are rules and complications who may prevent him from doing so.
so my suggestion would be as follows: If someone from the uk were to win this competition they could just give them an iTunes gift card or a cash prize/amazon gift voucher of equal value. That way the competition would be open to all members regardless of what country they are actually residing in!