Winamp Remote can stream music to iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I have just tried the Winamp Remote on Winamp 5.5. It lets you stream music and video from your PC on the iPhone (and other mobile devices). Very impressive for a product still in beta. It's like having your entire collection in your pocket!

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
How's the speed? I know it's powered by ORB which I use at home to stream to my xbox 360.

If you already have orb setup then you can stream to your iPhone just like you do your xbox. Just go to mycast.orb.com on your iPhone and log in.

You can also use Orb to stream XM and Sirius to your iPhone.

S

ShortFlip

I have just tried the Winamp Remote on Winamp 5.5. It lets you stream music and video from your PC on the iPhone (and other mobile devices). Very impressive for a product still in beta. It's like having your entire collection in your pocket!
I was disinterested at first with the new build of winamp, but now that you tell me it works well, I might have to give it a whirl!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
If you already have orb setup then you can stream to your iPhone just like you do your xbox. Just go to mycast.orb.com on your iPhone and log in.

You can also use Orb to stream XM and Sirius to your iPhone.
420, I was never able to get Orb to work on videos. I was able to get music and stream internet radio stations but no video.
The video appears on my video folder, I even encoded it the right way (mp4). But when I select the video on the iPhone to play, it just sits there with the preview screen and never gives me the play icon. Then, right after I select the video on the iPhone, something pops up on my home PC on the orb toolbar icon saying something about not being able to accept 2 way communications. I messed with that sucker for a week before I gave up.
Anyway, Im gonna check out Winamp, maybe Ill have better luck.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
How's the speed? I know it's powered by ORB which I use at home to stream to my xbox 360.
Surprisingly, it holds up well over EDGE. Though browsing folders is painfully slow, and often will crash, once you hit play, the streaming is as smooth as being on wifi. One feature the program can really use when playing multiple files is a "Resume" button - otherwise, when it crashes, it starts playing again from the beginning and you can't fast forward.

As I said in my first post, it's still in beta and the Winamp developers are working out the kinks. They don't even have an iPhone user among them! So I'll encourage members here to give the program a try and post suggestions, bugs or observations to the Winamp forum: http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=163

Think about it - if you can access your entire collection of music and video from anywhere, the 8 gig capacity of the iPhone is no longer a disadvantage!:cool:

JimmyR

Aug 18, 2008
I've just been playing with the winamp remote for iPhone. I downloaded it from the App Store. It's called iAmpRemote.

I personally don't like using iTunes, and prefer winamp cos its a lighter weight program and plays DivX videos :) Anyway I know that there are other winamp remotes around but most seem to run in the web browser which is annoying. This one is an actual iPhone app and only cost me $4.99US.

Nice and responsive user interface, and I like the playlist search feature.
I had to install a winamp plugin first, but that was fairly easy.
Check it out: http://www.movingapps.com.

Anyone else here a winamp fan?

Tamaros

Oct 27, 2008
Think about it - if you can access your entire collection of music and video from anywhere, the 8 gig capacity of the iPhone is no longer a disadvantage!:cool:
This is already possible through simplify media, which works for WinAmp, iTunes, and windows media player.

When I got mine off the app store it was free but its supposed to change to like $4 at some point.