Windows 8

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
If you don't have a tablet PC or such, it won't be as great of an experience. I wouldn't buy a tablet over a real laptop, to be honest.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Edit - looks like I commented before watching the whole thing.

I absolutely love this after seeing an entire Windows 7 type system is also built in the background. This is not like the TouchSmarts that have a lame excuse for an touchscreen app underneath the main Windows 7 OS. This truly looks like a combined tablet + full OS all in 1. This is the first thing I have seen since iOS and Lion that actually makes me excited again about Windows. Lets see what they do with it.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
If you don't have a tablet PC or such, it won't be as great of an experience. I wouldn't buy a tablet over a real laptop, to be honest.
There are currently some laptops out there that fold into tablet form. Dell Inspiron Duo

This isn't the best implementation of that idea, but something like a MacBook air that becomes a thin tablet from a laptop would be nice.

This OS would be ideal for that kind of machine. If you could unfold the PC into a laptop to use the main/full OS on, then fold it into tablet form and go, the possibilities are endless.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I agree with you in some points, except the fact that they would be "nice". Well, they will most certainly not be as comfortable, convenient, efficient, and safe to me. Who knows? Maybe you'll break the screen while rotating it, assuming you're going to do that process several times a day (which can also weaken it). That is in addition to the fact that future tablets (because of Windows 8 and its full-tablet support) are going to be more expensive than they already are. Even if you already have a tablet PC, we all know the price tag of Windows operating systems which are almost double the price of a Macintosh even though it doesn't really offer much more.

I'm not against Microsoft, I'm simply stating my opinion that tablet PCs, at least to me, will never be as convenient and efficient as a regular laptop/notebook, whichever you call it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This will be awesome - unless you get a "Windows was unable to refresh your PC" error:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
That's hilarious.

"We know your computer is eventually going to run like crap, so we made this instead of fixing the problem."

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's hilarious.

"We know your computer is eventually going to run like crap, so we made this instead of fixing the problem."
Good point. In my experience (Vista and older), its half-life seemed to be about six months. Do you think they can or ever will fix the problem?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Guess they are as bad as career politicians, huh?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Should be on the truck out for delivery. I'm not sure I have a spare SSD for installation. I'm a fan of their metro UI, watched the launch. I'm relatively excited for Windows 8. Not sure how it'll translate to non-touch displays. Not sure if people want to touch their displays. I thought remember Apple saying something about how touch doesn't translate well to desktops. They also said they wouldn't release a 7-inch tablet. Despite all the spin about it being 7.9-inches, I don't buy it. They flip-flopped on that a bit.

Windows 8 looks modern, fresh and I really like the UI.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
absolutely going to get one just gotta get rid of my ipad3 first.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
I'm also a fan of their Metro interface. May pick up a copy and do a VM on my Mac. I might even get a Windows 8 phone to play with.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I decided against Windows 8
I actually picked up a laptop for hubby 2 days ago to take with him traveling (very cheap windows 7 left over) and decided not to pre order one with windows 8.
Many argue the fact it's not open source. Son won't install it.
In any case we can always upgreade for 15$ but first I need peoples reviews.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I'm relatively excited for Windows 8. Not sure how it'll translate to non-touch displays.
I used the Beta version for a while before I got sick of it and uninstalled it. For me it was basically Windows 7 with an addition of the metro view and full-screen applications. So in short, you won't get much if you're using a regular laptop or desktop computer while you'll benefit if you have a tablet-PC or one of those big screen HP touch ones.