Windows: iPhone, iPod, iPad not recognized in iTunes

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Valaquenta, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Valaquenta

Valaquenta
    Expand Collapse

Jul 16, 2007
    Hey guys, I have been reading these forums for while and finally got my iPhone today! But now im having problems with Windows and iTunes not recognizing it and opening iTunes. I have the most recent iTunes and iTunes will open my 60GB video Ipod, im really lost and trying to find support on Apple's website but any help would be great! thanks in advance

Jon

#1 Valaquenta, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  2. justahsquirrel

justahsquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Jun 7, 2007
    try resetting the phone. power it down and back up...you may have to do it several times to get it to appear in iTunes, i had the same problem. try a hard reset. hold the sleep wake button and the home button until the iPhone goes dead. good luck

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Valaquenta

Valaquenta
    Expand Collapse

Jul 16, 2007
    Replying on my iPhone thanks for the help!

5. justahsquirrel

justahsquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Jun 7, 2007

all in a days work..lol.... good luck. remember.....rebooting usually does the trick...

6. hutch

hutch
    Expand Collapse

Jan 5, 2008
    when I connect my ipod touch to iTunes it is not recognising it, and keeps saying it cant find the iPhone instead of the ipod touch. what do I need to do to tell iTunes it is not an iPhone, but an ipod touch to look for? I am quite lost here and don't know what to do, can anyone help please. thanks in advance.. hutch

7. KNK

KNK
    Expand Collapse

Jul 22, 2007

I just answered you in another thread you started.

8. ravz3012

ravz3012
    Expand Collapse

May 19, 2008
    which thread can u give me the link?
    because i have the same problem

9. chcorey52

chcorey52
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Dec 25, 2007
  10. Skb2000

Skb2000
    Expand Collapse
    Evangelist
    Gold

Jul 1, 2010
    I am trying to get my hubby's PC (Dell computer running XP) to recognize the ipad.... it won't. The latest iTunes is installed... when I connect the ipad the first thing to pop up is a camera device.. I can live with that, but iTunes does not launch automatically... Even when I open iTunes and plug the ipad in, it still does not recognize it. However, the strange thing is that iTunes opens up as my account. It had to get some information off of the ipad to have done that. It is plugged directly into the PC via a USB slot on the side. I just uninstalled iTunes and will download a NEW one and see if it makes any difference. I will also use another USB connector but I don't see how that will do anything different.

Anyone have any advice on how to get the damn PC to see the ipad? Is there a file I need to move? Maybe make a new association instead of camera?

Help!

Sherryl

11. offroadhunter

offroadhunter
    Expand Collapse
    Silver

Apr 1, 2009
    Do you have another computer you can try out? If so plug it in and see if it recognizes the ipad and can troubleshoot from there.

12. Skb2000

Skb2000
    Expand Collapse
    Evangelist
    Gold

Jul 1, 2010
    It was originally my ipad and it works on my Mac just fine. Yes, I turned it off before I plugged it into his iTunes. We are downloading a new iTunes now.

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    try this:

1. open "run" from the start menu, and run "services.msc".
    2. find "Apple Mobile Device" service.
    3. In the "status" column it will tell you if it is started or not, and the "startup type" column will tell you if it will start automatically when windows starts. Set the status to "started" and the startup type to "automatic".
    4. To do this right click on this process, and then click on "Properties"
    5. In the "general" tab find the "startup type" drop-down arrow menu and make sure "automatic" is selected. Select it if it is not.
    6. Also in the general tab check the "service status". If it does not say "started" then click the start button.
    7. at the bottom of the properties window click "apply"

14. Skb2000

Skb2000
    Expand Collapse
    Evangelist
    Gold

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks! I will give this a try in the morning.... I have run out of steam.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    There's one other quick thing to try if that doesn't work.

16. iP5

iP5
    Expand Collapse
    Evangelist
    Gold

Sep 7, 2010
    Is the iPad picky about powered vs unpowered USB? Just a guess since it use to work, try all the ports, jic.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    For charging, they are. But that shouldn't affect the syncing/data to my knowledge.

18. Skb2000

Skb2000
    Expand Collapse
    Evangelist
    Gold

Jul 1, 2010
    OK, here is where we are now. Yes, the device is started and goes on automatically. I figured out that if I just accept it to run under control center (which is some sort of printer/scanner) iTunes will recognize it. However, 2 things happen... iTunes freezes up and/or I get a message that says there is another iTunes library do I want to sync to that? When I click on the apps, there is NO list and the icons on the left are all grayed out. I cannot find another iTunes library on that computer so I am a bit confused. It is all backed up to my computer so I guess I can say yes when it asks me to sync and just hold my breath. I have never seen that message before. He has some stupid Symantic anti-virus on that computer and there is no where for me to see if it is interfering with iTunes without turning it off. Since it is a company computer, I usually stay far away from it unless their IT department can't fix it... (that happens too often for my taste). I don't recall having these problems with my old Toshiba laptop and my iPhone. I am not going to get back to this till tomorrow... we have 26 people due for a wine tasting in 2 hours...

19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    The message it gave you is normal if it was previously synced to your iTunes library (on your computer).

Sounds like the driver properties in device manager may be hosed. I'll post some instructions to check later tonight.

20. Skb2000

Skb2000
    Expand Collapse
    Evangelist
    Gold

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks, no rush. I am off for the night.

21. acosmichippo

acosmichippo
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Platinum

Sep 10, 2007
    These are some basic troubleshooting steps for Windows users to try if iTunes will not recognize your iDevice. The directions are intended for Windows Vista and 7. If you have questions regarding XP, just ask.

Before doing any of this, you will want to back up the data on your computer and iDevice. If you haven't already, see this thread for information on how to backup all iTunes and iDevice data on your computer.

Steps 1-6 are the most basic ones. Step 7 begins with iTunes/Windows troubleshooting.

1) Update iTunes. http://www.apple.com/itunes/

2) Try your iDevice on another computer with the same cable.
    • If this works, it probably means there's a hardware and/or software problem on the originalcomputer. Proceed to step 3.
    • If it doesn't work, the problem could be with your iDevice or cable. Proceed to step 3.
    3) Try another iDevice on the original computer with the same cable.
    • If this works, the problem is likely within your iDevice. Probably best to take it to an Apple store at this point.
    • If it doesn't work, the problem could be either your computer or cable. Proceed to step 4.
    • If neither this step or step #2 worked, the issue could very well be your cable. Proceed to step 4.
    • If this step and step #2 both worked, but your original iDevice and computer still don't play nice, something bizarre is going on. Skip to step 8.
    4) Try your iDevice on the original computer with a different cable.
    • Works? Mission accomplished.
    • Still doesn't work? You probably have a computer problem. Proceed to step 5.
    5) Try a couple other USB devices (Mice, Flash Drives, External Hard Drives, etc.).
    • If they work fine, it's probably some kind of software problem within Windows of iTunes. Proceed to step 6.
    • If they don't even work, your computer has serious issues, which are out of the scope of this thread.
    6) Repeat steps 3&4 for each USB port on your computer. Just in case one of your USB ports is broken.
    • Works? Mission accomplished.
    • Still no joy? Head on to step 7.
    7) Make sure "AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe" is running.
    A) Click on the windows button at the bottom-left of your screen.​
    B) In the search bar, type the following without quotes and hit enter: "services.msc"​
    C) Click on "Name" at the top of the left column to sort it alphabetically. "Apple Mobile Device" (AMD) should be near the top.​

[​IMG]

D) In the "Status" column, it should say "Started", and the "Startup Type" column should be "Automatic". If it does, skip to step 8.​
    E) If "Status" is wrong, right click anywhere on the AMD row, and select "Start". If it starts OK, try connecting your iDevice. Continue whether it works or not.
    F) If "Startup Type" is wrong, right click on the AMD row, and select "Properties".​
    G) Select the "General" tab at the top of that window.​
    H) In the middle of that page, you'll see "Startup Type". Select "Automatic". Then click OK at the bottom of the window.​

[​IMG]

I) Restart your computer and try plugging in your iDevice again. If it works, great. Mission accomplished.​
    J) If it doesn't work, repeat steps 7A-7D to make sure the settings were saved. If they look correct, go on to step 8.​

8) Check Device Manager for problems
    A) Plug in your iDevice.​
    B) Click on the Windows button at the bottom-left of your screen.​
    C) Right-click on "Computer" in the right column, and select "Manage".​
    D) In the left column, click on "Device Manager" (under "System Tools").​
    E) Your iDevice (for example, "Apple iPhone") should be listed under "Portable Devices". If it isn't, skip to step 9. Also note if there are any yellow exclamationpoints over the icon. That means there's a problem. As if you didn't already know.​

[​IMG]

F) Right-Click on "Apple iPhone" (if your iDevice is an iPhone), select "Uninstall" (don't worry), and then select "OK" when it asks if you are sure. You are sure.​
    G) Unplug your iDevice, and plug it back in. Wait a minute.​
    H) If it works, restart your computer and try again. If it still works, mission accomplished. If not...​

The above steps should take care of 95% of the problems out there. If it's still hosed for you, the last-resort option is to completely uninstall and reinstall iTunes. For directions to completely uninstall iTunes, see this Apple Support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1923

If I encounter more issues that lead to iDevices not being recognized in iTunes, I'll try to add them to this guide. Feel free to make any corrections or suggestions.