Windows Mail (Vista) Won't Sync

oliegirl

Jul 6, 2007
I've looked through the other threads discussing syncing the iPhone with Outlook and cannot find anything referring to this problem.

I have a brand new laptop and I don't have Outlook (don't understand how I can't, but alas, it's not on here), instead I have a program called Windows Mail, which is supposed to be the successor of Outlook Express. iTunes syncs my contacts from this program without any problem, did it the first time I tried it after I imported them from excel. However it won't sync the calendar, and when I click on the "info" tab in iTunes it tells me that "no supported calendar application can be found". How can this be? Has anyone run into this problem, or have any idea how I'd fix it? I really don't want to use a web app for my calendar...

Thanks! :)

emphar

Jul 12, 2007
I have the same problem and from what I have found Outlook is the only supported calendar application for the iPhone via PC. Despite the fact that Windows Mail is the successor/replacement for Outlook Express, it doesn't count. I find it odd that Windows Mail words for email accounts but not the calendar despite the fact that it does export to the iCal format. It makes no sense...

oliegirl

Jul 6, 2007
I have the same problem and from what I have found Outlook is the only supported calendar application for the iPhone via PC. Despite the fact that Windows Mail is the successor/replacement for Outlook Express, it doesn't count. I find it odd that Windows Mail words for email accounts but not the calendar despite the fact that it does export to the iCal format. It makes no sense...
Thanks for replying - I'm at least glad to know that I am not the only person having this problem. Can I ask what you are using for your calendar? I'm a PC user and not familiar with iCal or any of the programs/sites that are out there for iCal users with iPhones. Thanks!

emphar

Jul 12, 2007
Currently I am not using anything. I have a strong dislike of Outlook and think it is silly to have to install just for the iPhone calendar (I had to use it for my Moto Q and thought I would be free from it). I am pretty sure there will be expansions to the 3rd party applications in the near future and hope they will add windows calendar. For Vista users, it is REQUIRING you to buy a Microsoft product which makes no sense. I can hold out a few weeks before I will need my calendar up and running but if there is no update (or work around) by then, I plan to install Outlook.

iCal is the calendar format for Mac, used by iCalendar. It is a widely supported format (Outlook, Windows Mail, Firebird, Gmail, etc).

tkjtkj

Jul 21, 2007
I've looked through the other threads discussing syncing the iPhone with Outlook and cannot find anything referring to this problem.

I have a brand new laptop and I don't have Outlook (don't understand how I can't, but alas, it's not on here), instead I have a program called Windows Mail, which is supposed to be the successor of Outlook I have same problem! and this is TERRIBLE! I got the iPhone mainly because of its sync and backup ability .. now i find its a fraud ...

oliegirl

Jul 6, 2007

I have a brand new laptop and I don't have Outlook (don't understand how I can't, but alas, it's not on here), instead I have a program called Windows Mail, which is supposed to be the successor of Outlook I have same problem! and this is TERRIBLE! I got the iPhone mainly because of its sync and backup ability .. now i find its a fraud ...

I've been using the google calendar for the past couple weeks and although it's not perfect, it's working for now. I'm hoping there will be a fix for this included in an update soon. I just keep a window logged into the google calendar, there is an option to send an alert so I get an SMS prior to events/appointments, which is helpful. I really don't want to have to shell out more $ for Outlook or iCal if I don't have to so I'm willing to deal with this for now.

planit

Dec 29, 2008
ipod iPhone vs winmail outlook ical

from my online research it looks like thats all you can do. but i would like to know how you actually synced your google calendar with your windows one.. step by step if poss.. anyone?

plus my os is in italian so ..

ipodCALsync v0.2 which i got free online. i haven't got it working yet. finding the actual online link for your cal in google is a bit of a search involving clicking all over the shop but found it in the end. if you want to know how let me know.

will let you know when its working Gwing:laugh2: